PDA

View Full Version : SOLD: (NIB) Minox BD 10x44 BP Binoculars *Pics* (Final price reduction).

Biggy
07-09-11, 12:45
These MINOX binoculars are new in the box and priced at just $235. delivered to your door. Payment would be by a USPS or bank money order. A personal check would be fine but you would have to wait 1-2 weeks for it to clear. Check out the price and other reviews of this binocular online and IMHO you will not find a better all around binocular for the price, period. I would trade for 18 Magpul P-Mags, new in the bags, Rev M, 30rd, black only. Here is a review of the binocular.

Features
Ergonomics: The BD 10x44 BP porro prism binoculars from Minox are a modern design. They have internal focusing. As a result they have been sealed and argon filled to make them waterproof to 5 metres and resistant to misting. They are bigger than a roof prism binocular, but they sit nicely into the hand and are comfortable to hold.

The chunky rubberised focus wheel sits centrally and is easily reached even with small hands. The binoculars accommodated my narrow pupil-pupil distance and there was more than enough eye relief to allow a full field of view while wearing spectacles. There are several click stops on the eyecups making it possible to optimise the eye relief to suit. The dioptre adjustment is housed in the front of the focus wheel and is lockable. I prefer this arrangement to the non-lockable adjustment on many other models.

The 10x44’s have an aluminium body covered with rubber armour; as a result they weigh in at 800g. However, when used with the supplied neoprene strap, they are comfortable and the weight isn’t an issue. Also consider that to get the same optical and build quality in a roof prism binocular, they would be in a similar weight range.

Performance
Binoculars are one item that we don’t tend to buy very often, so it’s worth getting the best we can afford. For occasional use, specification is less important, but for bird watching/low-light use, it is essential to get binoculars with good light-gathering ability. The Minox 10x44 have great performance in this area. The 44mm objective allows plenty of light in resulting in a very bright image. The image is crisp and there’s good depth of field, so you don’t have to make continuous minor adjustments of the focus.

The superior optical performance of these porro prism binoculars compared to a similarly priced pair of roof prism binoculars is down to the simpler light path. To get the same quality in a roof prism model, I needed to spend more and look for aspheric lenses to minimise colour fringing. The Minox 10x44 are very nice to use and quickly become an extension of the user. Within a very short time of purchase, I felt very at home with my purchase.

After purchase, the binoculars were tested around the Lee Valley Regional Park. It was late afternoon and the light quality was deteriorating. Poor light wasn’t a problem and with adequate eye relief, there was no problem with birds disappearing before I’d put the binoculars to the eye and achieved focus. The focus wheel does require a couple of turns get from closest focus (3.5m) to infinity, but I’ve not found this to be an issue. The good design allows for rapid adjustment.

Further testing has allowed more prolonged use, I’m pleased to report that the binoculars performed well. They do not become an unwelcome burden, but are heavy enough that holding them steady is much easier than with a very lightweight pair.

Verdict
The Minox BD 10x44 BP binoculars are a pleasure to own. They have superb optical performance in a durable, ergonomic package and provide a viable alternative to the more fashionable roof prism models currently dominating the market.

In summary the positive points of the Minox BD 10x44 BP Binoculars are:
Minox BD 10x44 BPOptical quality
Minox BD 10x44 BPDurability
Minox BD 10x44 BPWaterproof
Minox BD 10x44 BPEase of use
Minox BD 10x44 BPComfort

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/Biggy8/IMG_0363.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/Biggy8/IMG_0263.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/Biggy8/IMG_0095.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/Biggy8/IMG_0098-1.jpg

Biggy
07-12-11, 10:19