PDA

View Full Version : CCW and formal wear. . .

Moose-Knuckle
07-10-11, 05:17
My current CCW method is IWB appendix with a G19. My thought is that I may fair better to OWB when wearing a tux. I've even tossed the idea of a shoulder rig. Both options I would obviously have to keep my jacket on for the duration of the event which is what I do anytime I wear a tux.

Anyone ever carry while dressed for a night on the town?

dwhitehorne
07-10-11, 05:54
I've worn a tux/suit with the OWB and was issued a shoulder rig also but never really wore it. The thing to remember is the jacket must be sized larger to pull off concealed carry. I never could get comfortable with the shoulder rig in a suit. I wear my P2000 with a suit now in an IWB more towards the small of my back. SOB is not the best location but fits the cut of my suits better. David

Mjolnir
07-10-11, 05:55
Yes, Raven Concealment Holster (IWB) and full-sized 1911. Also, Blade-Tech IWB and HK P7M8.

Other than those a pocket J-Frame.

GIJew766
07-10-11, 10:05
I've carried my HK45 and HK45C OWB in a Raven Concealment holster. Thought about carrying one of the 1911s the same way, but have not yet gotten around to it. If you're built like me and need the jacket a bit broader than average (I hate being a 34 waist and a 48 across the shoulders), it gives you a little more room, even after they fit the jacket to you.

H

Frailer
07-10-11, 10:20
My current CCW method is IWB appendix with a G19. My thought is that I may fair better to OWB when wearing a tux. I've even tossed the idea of a shoulder rig. Both options I would obviously have to keep my jacket on for the duration of the event which is what I do anytime I wear a tux.

In a suit, OWB.

In a tux...it depends on the tux. My "tux" for many years has been an Army blue mess uniform. The short jacket, lack of a belt, and fitted nature of the uniform is limiting, but a J-frame worn IWB appendix (under the cummerbund) using a Barami HipGrip works.

Have you thought about an ankle holster?

vigilant2
07-10-11, 10:25
Glock 26 in a Galco ankle holster at my best friends wedding last month. Dancing, carrying on, no detection,no movement, no problem. My HK P7 PSP fits in the same holster with a minor
modification.

cc2001
07-10-11, 10:37
I've carried a P229 in a Safariland 6378 with a suit before just fine.

JonInWA
07-10-11, 10:45
For relatively tightly-fitting formalwear, I tend to tailor my holster and gun to the outfit; for example, I'm more likely to carry a slimmer firearm (e.g., a 1911 or Hi-Power) in a slimmer IWB holster (e.g., a Bianchi Professional 100; the holster slimness is achieved in large part by not having a reeinforced holster mouth, so re-holstering will by definition be a two-handed effort usually).

Best, Jon

Hogsgunwild
07-10-11, 11:42
I always front pocket carry when business casual in Dockers or nicer.
Usually not wearing a sport coat thus the pocket carry. Used my S&W 340PD comfortably for years and then found that my Rorhbaugh R9 worked even better for me.

Carried the Wather PPS .40 when I had a perceived threat for a few days. It was comforting to have with me but not real comfortable to pocket carry as it weighed a bit much. It worked well though.
I tried to pocket carry my Glock 27 but that was just silly. The weight was worse than the bulk.

Moose-Knuckle
07-10-11, 12:02
Thanks gents for all the great advise and suggestions. Good to know about sizing the jacket a little larger, haven't thought about that one. I'll play around with my options and see what fills the most comfortable while still quick and accessible.

SeaSoldier
07-10-11, 13:43
I tend to not be invited where cloth's like that are required. :D

Alpha Sierra
07-10-11, 14:27
A Glock 17 in an Isotope 7 holster disappears under a fitted hacking jacket, sport coat, suit coat, or tux.

Kilo 1-1
07-10-11, 14:29
With formal attire like that, you'll need to compromise for a deep concealment holster if you plan to take the jacket off.

For those occasions, I go with the Smart Carry.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3091/outset1.jpg

This brings up a training issue, since the draw's going to be naturally slower than the standard IWB appendix carry I use (or for 4'oclock for others).

okie john
07-10-11, 14:34
Good to know about sizing the jacket a little larger, haven't thought about that one.

Take the gun and all supporting gear you plan to wear to a tailor. Have him make the adjustments.

Okie John

VooDoo6Actual
07-10-11, 17:05
Those I protect require me to wear formal wear often.
Recently I have been protecting an "A" lister celebrity & CEO of prominent US GOV Defense Contractor.
Having said that suits et al are commonplace as de rigueur in those AO's.
There have been detail's that I have had to carry shoulder or IWB in 110+ degree w/ high humidity in addition to other austere conditions & situations.
I use IWB & shoulder rigs (some of my shoulder rigs have baton, mag, cuffs kydex holder on opposing weapon side) for 1911's & HK45C's.
I use ext mags (10 rounders as 8 rounders are too small for my hand) w/ no printing issues.

I will share w/ you that I prefer LBT nylon Shoulder rig to other shoulder rigs, leather or faux leather. Leather tends to get a funky smell (it is organic) after sweat & heat etc.

Tried many others through the years. Bianchi, Safariland, Blackhawk, Unkle Mike's et Alia.
Obviously if you are taking your jacket/tux/coat off it's a different solution. I use under armor or deep concealment rig for that circumstance.
Ankle rigs work well in lieu or conjunction w/ the other types of rigs. As I'm a believer in "one is none & two is one" ... Typically I use 640-1, G36, Officer's 3.5" for ankle rigs.
HTH YMMV.....

Artos
07-10-11, 17:13
I will share w/ you that I prefer LBT Shoulder rig to leather.
Leather gets a funky smell (it is organic) after sweat & heat etc.

glad i get to dress like a slob 99% of the time...all i own is leather.

DocGKR
07-10-11, 17:47
AIWB works GREAT in formal wear--I've carried both G19's and 1911's in suits and black tie without any problems.

LHS
07-10-11, 17:52
The last time I carried at a formal event, I had a J-frame in my pants pocket and a fanny pack under the suit jacket. Since I had a camera in the fanny pack as well, it explained the pack's presence.

I've also done a G19 in a Threat Solutions IWB with a properly tailored suit jacket, but then I'm limited to keeping the jacket on. That's not always comfortable/practical.

GIJew766
07-10-11, 19:20
I use IWB & shoulder rigs for 1911's & HK45C's.

I find the HK45C generally like being concealed in formal attire. Nice that it and its big brother aren't much thicker than the 1911 either.

H

Eirerogue
07-10-11, 21:59
Glock 27 in an Alessi ankle holster. Extra mag in Cop Safe on opposite ankle.

At these events, too many 'brushes' for me to carry discreetly on my waist.

dookie1481
07-10-11, 22:08

AIWB here too, and I agree. Maybe look at a smartcarry or thunderwear as well.

sgtjosh
07-10-11, 22:24
For formal/business attire situations, I carry my HK P2000sk in the obligatory Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig. You can easily have your suits cut to accommodate this. I am 5'8" tall and weigh 180 lbs. It does require some discipline to keep your jacket on in varying weather. You are carrying a gun, so discipline should not be an issue. If this does not pass muster, I recommend a good ankle rig as long as you are aware of it's deployment limitations and have practiced drawing from various positions. Don't go cheap. A quality ankle rig is more comfortable and secure than some Ebay nylon one size fits most piece of junk.

RagweedZulu
07-10-11, 22:43
The cummerbund is a great way to hide a small pistol really well. Maybe even your G19. I've done a S&W 642 under there, as well as flat pistols such as the Kahr line and Ruger LC9. I've always used a Galco Tuck-N-Go since the J hook allows me to tuck a shirt over it if needed. This way you have the option of taking the jacket off if the situation requires.

I recently had the need to carry a G23 under a suit at a formal event with a spare mag holder on the off side. The threat was real, present, known to be usually armed and very hostile toward the crowd in attendance. It's one of the few times I looked in the mirror just before the event and told myself today was the day it was going down. Doesn't make for a relaxing social event.

Moose-Knuckle
07-11-11, 00:46
Gentleman, I can’t thank you enough for all the knowledgeable responses to my quarry. I normally do not require such attire. My employment is in uniformed operations and my current duty assignment negates concealment. I wear a designer suit maybe one week out of the year for various engagements. My inquiry into concealment for formal wear is in advance of my own wedding. I have not had to contend with formal wear with any frequency so needless to say concealment for such attire is out of my lane. The National Weather Service categorizes my AO as humid-subtropical with hot summers. Just this week I have attended two weddings in triple digit heat with high humidity all the while wearing a suit and tie, uncomfortable yes but doable. This is one area the ladies have it easier than us.

I have a lot to go on and some work ahead of me trying out several options and rigs mentioned here and for that I thank you all! :cool:

jenrick
07-11-11, 01:28
I've had very good luck carrying behind the strong side hip (approx 4 o'clock) in both a IWB and OWB. An OWB works well if you are going to keep your jacket on come hell or high water. You can access your pockets, dance, etc. without your gun being exposed. It's still a very fast draw. An IWB that is not tucked under the shirt is basically the same as an OWB, just with a bit less of a signature under your jacket and a bit slower on the draw.

A tucked IWB allows you to lose the jacket and still carry. It does normally require a smaller pistol to not print with the butt of the weapon. If you really want to go low profile with it, tuck your under shirt over your pistol, along with your dress shirt. This really helps lower the profile of the weapon, as well as prevent the weapon from showing through due to coloration (black Glock through a white dress shirt).

An appendix carry IWB under your cummerbund (if worn) is a good split between the two options.

The conflicting issues are speed of presentation and concealment. As you're wedding is probably going to be a low threat situation (I hope so at least), I'd say concealment trumps. You (or the misses at least) are going to want the jacket to come off at sometime in the night unless it's snowing. A tucked IWB allows you that option without any problems. On the other hand if you were working security or the like in a high threat environment, suffer the jacket.

I've had good luck with my P7M8 in a CompTac tucker IWB with my suit, and a spare mag in my support side pants pocket. This was for a low threat environment, where I was simply carrying out of habit. When I'm in an unknown threat environment, I've also had good success with an OWB holster at 4-4:30 and my G34, with a mag carried OWB on the opposite side. My suit jacket stays on, and I've got my full size duty pistol if something goes down.

If at all possible get your tux fitted with what ever you're going to carry. It's actually very easy for a good tailor to fit your jacket around your gear. Everyone carries so much junk on their belt (cell, pager, smart phone, etc) that a lump here or there raises no suspicion. There are a lot more simple tricks to carrying concealed in formal or buisness wear (wear a dark color for instance) that are basically the same as carrying normally.

-Jenrick

Triple7
07-11-11, 13:14
I have worn a crossbreed supertuck IWB during weddings at 5oclock and my wife is the only one to know (since she put her hand on it while dancing)
I've even danced with other women but they usually keep their hands higher. lol

TheSmiter1
07-11-11, 13:50
AIWB works GREAT in formal wear--I've carried both G19's and 1911's in suits and black tie without any problems.
How do you tuck in the shirt without it showing badly? I don't think I'd be comfortable with the holster belt clips showing. Do you just keep the coat on the whole time?

ST911
07-11-11, 17:13
I have my suits and sport coats tailored to make them gun friendly. It's not often I wear a tux, but I've been able to do so with ankle and pocket guns. The balance of the advice in the thread is good.

Tuxes require a bit of compromise.

Magic_Salad0892
07-11-11, 19:57
4 O'Clock IWB works well for me, when I'm at a wedding, with my girlfriend at a formal event, or a funeral.

lloydkristmas
07-12-11, 15:02
Not quite the same, but Im able to carry a USP T under a blazer/sport coat to church without it printing too badly at all. Im about 6ft, 185lbs, average build. Ive found that with a formal type jacket, 4oclock carry is the easiest place to conceal.

Huntindoc
07-12-11, 15:25
Belly band. Leave a button undone but put the button stud through the outside. Then ankle carry for backup.

noops
07-12-11, 18:52
The only thing I can add, as I often wear suits/fancy clothes is to backup an off body. I often carry a P7M13 in a maxpedition tactical attache as a separate pistol off body. Most people think it just looks like an odd briefcase of a business man.

DocGKR
07-12-11, 19:26
Gentlemen do NOT remove their coats when wearing formal attire.

RagweedZulu
07-12-11, 19:54
But I'm betting a lot of guys on M4C do!:lol:

tpd223
07-12-11, 22:35

At my last wedding I had a Glock 26 in an ankle rig, and a S&W 642 AIWB under the cumberbund.

I was tempted to buy that fancy Galco shoulder rig and a Walther PPK for the occasion but didn't.

Frailer
07-12-11, 23:41
... buy that fancy Galco shoulder rig and a Walther PPK for the occasion...

We have a winner. ;)

RagweedZulu
07-12-11, 23:59
At my last wedding I had a Glock 26 in an ankle rig, and a S&W 642 AIWB under the cumberbund...

Rough wedding!

Moose-Knuckle
07-13-11, 04:26

This. Even in triple degree heat I do not remove my jacket when in attendance at an event.

I was tempted to buy that fancy Galco shoulder rig and a Walther PPK for the occasion but didn't.

I don't own a PPK or have the desire to do so, but I have been watching the Sean Connery 007 films here of late. :cool:

Moose-Knuckle
07-13-11, 04:28
Those I protect require me to wear formal wear often.
Recently I have been protecting an "A" lister celebrity & CEO of prominent US GOV Defense Contractor whom is on AQ hit list.
Having said that suits et al are commonplace as de rigueur in those AO's.
There have been detail's that I have had to carry shoulder or IWB in 110+ degree w/ high humidity in addition to other austere conditions & situations.
I use IWB & shoulder rigs (some of my shoulder rigs have baton, mag, cuffs kydex holder on opposing weapon side) for 1911's & HK45C's.
I use ext mags (10 rounders as 8 rounders are too small for my hand) w/ no printing issues.

I will share w/ you that I prefer LBT nylon Shoulder rig to other shoulder rigs, leather or faux leather. Leather tends to get a funky smell (it is organic) after sweat & heat etc.

Tried many others through the years. Bianchi, Safariland, Blackhawk, Unkle Mike's et Alia.
Obviously if you are taking your jacket/tux/coat off it's a different solution. I use under armor or deep concealment rig for that circumstance.
Ankle rigs work well in lieu or conjunction w/ the other types of rigs. As I'm a believer in "one is none & two is one" ... Typically I use 640-1, G36, Officer's 3.5" for ankle rigs.
HTH YMMV.....

Hop, you are the real deal brother. Thanks for the information, I have learned a lot from reading your posts since I joined M4C back in '09.

msstate56
07-13-11, 09:51

Color me a non-gentleman. However I've concealed a Comp Tac CTAC with a Glock 23 tucked under a shirt in formal attire on numerous occasions. I've also had to use a 642 in an ankle rig a couple of times when I would be coming in contact with lots of people.

VooDoo6Actual
07-13-11, 10:45
Hop, you are the real deal brother. Thanks for the information, I have learned a lot from reading your posts since I joined M4C back in '09.

My pleasure Moose-Knuckle.

That just sounds hinky ;-/

There are other real deal guys here that give solid advice as well.

Just sharing w/ you my research findings and opinions.

Glad it helps out Brother.

FWIW, I enjoy your comments, discussions & contributions as well

BTW, here's a video a recent client did.
enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Io58SoWWU&feature=channel_video_title