PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combats Ultima lube II

T-TAC
07-10-11, 06:43
I tried Wilson's new Ultima lube. The oil and grease. It works really well, doesn't dry out or run. But I noticed clean up sucks. The black soot gets really hard and pretty tough to clean off. I used a tooth brush with Hoppes #9 copper formula and alot of elbow grease.
Anybody else run into this?

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ultima-L...uctinfo/577-4/

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ultima-L...uctinfo/579-4/

T-TAC
07-11-11, 03:20
Talked with another Forum member today and I'm pretty sure it's the Grease. Not the older "White" grease that came in a syringe. The new "Brown" grease.
If it is anywhere around the ejection port area. Like I had some come off the frame rail on to the frame bed ( Just under the barrel) and it mixes with the fouling to form a hard black soot.

wetidlerjr
07-11-11, 06:04
I tried Wilson's new Ultima lube. The oil and grease. It works really well, doesn't dry out or run. But I noticed clean up sucks. The black soot gets really hard and pretty tough to clean off. I used a tooth brush with Hoppes #9 copper formula and alot of elbow grease.
Anybody else run into this?...

No as I use a homemade concoction of MOBIL 1, transmission fluid and WD-40. :D
Sorry, but I consider all the "Ultra-Über Wonder Lubes" as the biggest rip-offs in the gun industry. YMMV :cool:

Guns-up.50
07-11-11, 10:50
I mix mil comm tw 25 and rem oil or perfered clp. works great and the clp doesnt allow carbon to adhere to the gun as much

Rinspeed
07-15-11, 11:36
I use Brian Enos' Slide Glide and have never noticed any issues like this. I would e-mail Wilson and see if they have had complaints.

theJanitor
07-15-11, 14:31
I use slip2000 EWL, on every gun I own. Primary and Secondary weapons get the same. No need to complicate things

MarshallDodge
07-19-11, 10:42
No as I use a homemade concoction of MOBIL 1, transmission fluid and WD-40. :D
Sorry, but I consider all the "Ultra-Über Wonder Lubes" as the biggest rip-offs in the gun industry. YMMV :cool:

Why transmission fluid and WD-40? :confused:

I have used the original Wilson Ultima Lube (oil) with great success but I wouldn't doubt if it was synthetic motor oil. Never saw any hardening issues like the new stuff that the OP is having.

wetidlerjr
07-19-11, 12:15
Why transmission fluid and WD-40? :confused:...

The WD-40 is for water displacement (what it is designed to do) and the ATF doesn't oxidize in storage, and is OK with most metals and plastics. The ATF also thins the motor oil. Probably over-kill but it's a CYA thing. :D

militarymoron
07-19-11, 12:36
i'm a hopeful skeptic when it comes to new gun lubes. however, i just went through 500-600 rounds of wolf through a DI upper (i know - not a handgun) this past weekend with froglube (treated with the grease, then some of the liquid over it) and cleanup was easier than any other lube i've tried.