PDA

View Full Version : Benelli Nova/SuperNova Tactical

Slater
07-10-11, 11:34
For those that own these particular shotguns, how's the overall reliability and durability been?

_rab_
07-11-11, 15:40
I have a Benelli Nova. I like that it can shoot all 2 3/4, 3", and 3 1/2" shells, I like the nifty 'eject a round, without loading the next' feature, not that it's a big deal. It has been 100% reliable with any load from birdshot to buckshot to slugs (it IS a pump). Durability is what I'd expect from a polymer shotgun, as far as I can see, as good as any of the other pump action shotguns.

As a shotgun, I love it. As a shotgun owner, I wish aftermarket parts were as available as they are for the 870's :P

That said, I love it, I'll keep it forever, and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to others.
Rab

montrala
07-12-11, 10:36
I have Supernova and unfortunately I had some problems with it. Initially it was going click, but not bang. Increasing firing pin travel cured it. But lately it two times got completely jammed halfway on feeding ammo. I mean I could not move it in any direction. After I removed barrel it was still jammed. I used barrel as hammer on forearm and made it move (I was really p...... off!). I still look for source of this problem. But other people using those seem to be more lucky than I'm.

My light primer strikes problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbM5XRwEfQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP85-s4I1JI

KTR03
07-12-11, 11:22
Wow, bummer on the trouble you have. I loved mine, and regret selling it. I had the sporter version. Really liked the magazine disconnect. Useful for climbing over fences, clammering on rocks and such. Also nice that you could shoot 3.5 inch 12 out of it. Be careful though, it will knock you out from under your hat when shooting those.

Solid design, solid value.

ST911
07-12-11, 12:52
Acceptable rec/hobby gun. Feedback from those using them otherwise is that they have a few more issues over service life. Early versions had some endoskeleton/polymer separation issues, unknown how that has resolved or endured. The gun has to go back to the factory for service, but customer service is good. Stock options are limited, esp in reduced LOP. I like the long forearm, but it renders the gun incompatible with many racks and locking mechanisms.

Slater
07-12-11, 14:44
Wonder if any Police Depts. use these?

Skang
07-12-11, 17:39
Benelli M4 does, not pump. lol

ST911
07-13-11, 12:06

Call the manufacturer and ask if there's a list. Or lack thereof.

tAKticool
07-17-11, 19:48
I have quit drinking in my life, It took a few tries and several life events but I have successfully-

On St. Patrick's Day 2010 I went out browsing, knowing for the first time in half of my life I wouldn't be drinking nor going out and I wound up at a Dick's Sporting Goods. They had sold me my Mossberg 930 SPX on Super Bowl Sunday morning and were real nice, a few cool-as$ dudes and a few good-a$ prices. I wanted a Supernova Tactcial.. they had a few field models in camo, with huge-a$ 28" barrels and then, they had two matching black synthetic 24" SteadyGrip-pistol-gripped-stock, "tactical turkey" style guns... the 24" barrel was fitted for chokes which it came with 3, and a red fiber optic tube sight... it was a $600+ gun, maybe like $624 (it was the most expensive model they had EXCEPT the same deal with camo color)...

The kid working was AWESOME.. he first off was like, take your time I'd MUCH RATHER help you look at every single gun we have instead of inventory'ing fishing rod and reel spools. He then said , since I was a repeat customer having bought a Rem 597 the first day of feb, the M930SPX a week later on Superbowl Sunday, and then was in a month+ later looking... So he was gonna get me a repeat/good firearm customer discount, PLUS He said they had accidentally bought two identical shotguns in the Benelli Supernova turkey gun, and both got removed from the box and put on the shelf, next to each other, and it was like almost a year that they sat there, so they needed to at least dump one... then he started just "oh theres some dust over here, the box is crumpled, a nick in the recoil pad, etc. lol " point being he got it down to like $324.99 and asked me, if I go approach the manager and sell him on all this, will you then take it so I can confidently tell him i sold you on this at this special deal? I said, yeah man how can I say no, its not the Tactical model I came in for but its a great gun, at an amazing deal, I'll just made it a tactical model later with some quick cheap mods.

To move this along it was an amazing shotgun, simply amazing. Perfect in so many ways.. Its hard to describe it. And I am IN LOVE WITH MY M930SPX.. but this was just a different machine. BUT- it was BEST PRICE $449 for a 18.5" SNT Barrel. My gun was drilled and tapped but had no rail installed, I would need to get and have installed a rail, THEN Purchase the rear Ghost Ring Aperature at quite an expense. I could only find the rear ghost ring setup and the night sight setup seperately, couldn't just get a rear ghost ring tritium setup from the get go. Plus a mag extension from Nordic or Choate, ( which I admit was not factory nor the tritium but still what I wanted) and the worst part is, I'm not a big guy. I'm about 5'8" and about 150 lbs when fat from booze or ice cream/sweets, 140 when trimmed for dieting for a month. The 24" barrel with pistol gripped stock were AMAZING, and VERY CONTROLLABLE for what they were.. but not a tactical or combat shotgun and really not suitable for Home Defense for someone my size.. it Pointed SO GREAT but just not great enough for my primary use and desire. and it wouild have been way more money to convert it to a Tactical than just buying a new one. I seriously considered keeping the 24" barrel for if I ever went hunting or gaming, selling the "gun part" receiver, and buying a SNT, but alas something happened in August and I needed money suddenly desperately on the spot, had to just dump it / sell it for quick cash..

I wrote all this to just let someone know- The Benelli Supernova is probably the nicest shotgun I've ever touched. And I love ARs but I was and really Am a Shotgun [Combat/Tactical] Shotgun guy for HD and SHTF/combat than ARs, they're what I love .. and i ABSOLUTELY LOVE the 930 SPX LOVE LOVE LOVE my M930SPX.. But, the Supernova is an amazing shotgun.

Hope that is helpful to someone...

I am presently in the process of schemeing and rumbling bumbling stumbling to save up for a Benelli Supernova Tactical, probably a ComfotTech conventional stock [which will then be augmented with a LimbSaver which are amazing] , Ghost Ring Sights with augmentation of tritium, and a Nordic +2 extension which will be augmented with a forward sling mount plate ... my main idea is to create an awesome HD/Combat shotgun but it will be also for carrying across the back in a SHTF situation... if I was in SHTF and I was carrying my AR I'd like to have this across the back.

mattexass
07-17-11, 20:40
Love mine. Supernova- it has rifle sights, extended mag. tube and Urbino stock to cut down on LOP. Reliability and dur. has been great.

arizona98tj
07-17-11, 21:28
I've had a SuperNova Tactical for several years now. It always go bang when the trigger is pulled. I've ran it through two shotgun training courses, as did my range buddy who also has one. While ours continued to function perfectly, we did watch a few other brands lose pieces and parts during the 4 day course of fire. Some had to retired their shotgun and get a rental from the proshop to continue the course. I won't say which brands as I don't want to butt hurt anyone. :smile:

I don't think you can go wrong with a SuperNova....and the ghost rings on the tactical model work very well.

rathos
07-18-11, 01:42
Buddy of mine uses one on patrol. The little no feed button feature is great considering we have to patrol with an empty chamber. He has put it through a few classes and shoots it a lot, so far no issues. It is a great gun. Get the one with ghost rings, makes it an awesome slug gun.

jeepguy
08-10-11, 22:41
I've had zero issues with mine, and it's just a ton of fun to shoot. The gun has such a better feel in my hands than my mossberg or the 870's that I've shot. I don't plan on burying it in mud before trying to fire it, but I have no fears that it's going to be just as reliable as I'll ever need it to be. There may not be as much crap you can add to it as you can for an 870, but all the accessories that you might actually need are available. I have a +2 extension, rail & sling mount up front, qd sling mount in the rear, and mesa tactical side shell carrier.

Here are my reviews of those upgrades.
http://shootnoshoot.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/first-impressions-mesa-tactical-shell-carrier/
http://shootnoshoot.wordpress.com/2011/03/07/gear-review-nordic-components-2-magazine-tube-extension/

yunggunz
08-11-11, 13:53
I own a SuperNova Tactical. It has been great. No issues at all. I did short stroke it once but that was my fault. 3.5 shells hurt too much for anybody to shoot in an 18.5" barrell with no ports. I had grown, 200lbs men cry about how they will never do that again! A friend said his shoulder hurt for a week! And I have the comfortech stock, which I think it doesn't do anything. If anybody wants for trade there pistol grip stock for mine hit me up. I am also looking for a good way to mount a light. Do the 870 and mossberg barrel/light mounts work on the SNT?

montrala
08-11-11, 15:30
Mine seem cursed then... somebody really does not like me... Or maybe just bad luck.

I put my Supernova problems together on small video (only those instances that got on video).

In meantime I cured light primer strikes problem by adding 0.5mm movement to firing pin.

Now I try to cure jams on feed. Seem like shells got catch on right edge of barrel (edge cuts into shell top part) in place where barrel extension is cut for extractor clearance. Side part of my shell carrier is bent outward to right side. It has visible line in half of its height when in bends. I examined other Supernova, that works flawless and side of carrier is straight (flat). I will try bend mine inward a little, to force feeding into left side of barrel extension. Also this barrel edge on mine feels and looks sharper than on this other Supernova - I will try to lightly break this sharp edge with polishing tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlntD0xykYU

jeepguy
08-11-11, 17:00
yunggunz, there's enough space between the barrel and a magazine extension tube for most any clamp style light mount, if you don't have an extension you'll be out of luck though. I went with the CDM gear BMT and am pretty happy, the MOD-C also would work well if you were using a non-rail light like a G3 or Polytac. http://www.cdmgear.com/mod-c.html

NoveskeFan
08-11-11, 17:55

We have Benelli Nova's at work. 24" barrel. They work fine, but I would prefer something with a shorter barrel. Also, I'm 6'2" and not sure if a shorter barrel would help, but the gun feels very long and uncomfortable compared to my 1187.

yunggunz
08-11-11, 19:09
yunggunz, there's enough space between the barrel and a magazine extension tube for most any clamp style light mount, if you don't have an extension you'll be out of luck though. I went with the CDM gear BMT and am pretty happy, the MOD-C also would work well if you were using a non-rail light like a G3 or Polytac. http://www.cdmgear.com/mod-c.html

I just checked those out. Thanks.

GeorgiaBoy
08-14-11, 15:14
I don't own a Tacitcal version of either, but I do own Supernova that I use for duck hunting. Its a great shotgun, and I havn't had any problems with durability/reliability although to me its always felt to "bulky", and I have never really shot well with it. I'm sure a shorter barreled tactical verison would probably feel better.

post tensioned
09-04-11, 09:04
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee295/hk53a3/012111_1002.jpg

So far, I really like mine. I've had a Benelli M1S90 for years and finally decided to pick up a new pump gun. My only complaint was the length of pull of the stock, but the collapsible stock handled that. I now have about 500 rounds of 00 buck , and about 200 rounds of slugs through it without a single problem. I plan on running it through a class soon, so we will see how it holds up.

Bigun
10-27-11, 05:35
I have a standard Nova Tac with the ghost ring sights I would definately suggest a recoil reducer if you plan to feed standard slugs through it. I've used mine the last 2 years deer hunting in Iowa and love the sights. Recoil with the federal tru ball slugs is downright brutal. I havent got around to putting a reducer in it yet but plan to before deer hunting this season. Recoil with buck is much more manageable. I have it zero'd at 75 yds and it will put 3 inside a chew can at that range every time. Reliability has been perfect as long as I maintain forward pressure on the forearm if I dont the action is a lot like the 1300 winchesters and the gun springs open sometimes ejecting the empty otherwise you have to give it a bit of help.