PDA

View Full Version : Noveske N4 basic or BCM LW

cgbills
07-10-11, 12:01
Ok BCM does not offer a military discount while Noveske does. I can get a basic 16" N4 upper for about the same price as a 16" BCM lw upper. I am kind of digging the lw profile and that is the main reason why I am looking at BCM. If it was an N4 vs a BCM standard there would be no question with me N4. How does noveske's profiled barrels compare to the lw barrels interms of handling? Also what is their weight difference? I am wanting a light weight carbine but really like noveskes stuff/barrels (please note noveske does not offer their lw rifle in just an upper)

totenkopf_u64
07-10-11, 12:34
I think handling is a function of both weight and balance. The LW bcm barrel would be ~4oz. or so lighter right at the end, if the noveske is in fact the standard profile (don't know what their standard is though). In which case, it may improve handling, but that might depend on more than weight alone but would think it can't hurt.

I suppose if it comes down to handling, what all do you plan on loading onto this rifle?

If it fits your budget, I would snap up the 16" BFH LW mid length BCM since it's in stock. The good news is you really can't go wrong with either.

cgbills
07-10-11, 13:00
I am a minimalist so not really anything will go on it. A sight is about it.

brit
07-10-11, 13:25
I called noveske and got info that anything n4 wouldnt be available until the end of summer. If you're looking to buy now, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the bcm. You could buy a standard bcm lw upper, bcg, charging handle and handguards for about $605

Edit: rob made a chart with barrel weights and profile measurements, I'm sure you can find it with a quick search.

TonyTacoma
07-10-11, 13:28
Take a guess what I would recommend, although honestly you can not go wrong either way.

FishingFool
07-10-11, 13:34
Owned the 16" BCM, 16" BCM Lightweight, and 14.5" Lightweight.

Go with the 14.5" Lightweight. The carbine feels like it'll float away.

totenkopf_u64
07-10-11, 13:37
It's in stock too. With your choice of perma muzzle device (for a price of course)!

cgbills
07-10-11, 14:08
Grr why don't they have the 14.5 lightweight in BFH, is it really needed? Also I am not sure what device to get?

samuse
07-10-11, 14:17
I picked up a Noveske Skinny MOE and it seems like a good gun to me.

It's light as a feather and handles well.

I put an LMT rear sight on it and sighted it in yesterday. I'm not the best shot by any means but it shot into 3" at 100 yards and about 10" at 200, shot from prone.

totenkopf_u64
07-10-11, 14:18
Non BFH is fine. I thought you wanted a 16" anyway? They have the BFH 16" mid LW in stock. That way you don't have to settle on a muzzle device right now since you haven't decided. unless you go the NFA route the 14.5" only knocks one measly inch of your barrel... hardly worth the stress. You can always build a second one ;)

Edit: if you go the tax stamp route, why stop at 14.5"? Have you considered the SBR route?

cgbills
07-10-11, 14:43
I was going to do the SBR 10.5 route but decided to do a 16 or pinned 14.5. I like the idea of saving that extra 1.5 in but dont know if it worth the loss of utility since it is pinned. Thinking I might just go the 16 HF route. If anything it gives me piece of mind

yhmspecter
07-10-11, 15:37
I have a BCM 14.5 mid gas LW and love it. I also have a 16 inch I like em both but the 14.5 points easier so I find myself shooting that one a lot

FishingFool
07-10-11, 17:09
I have handled a 10" and IMHO its really not worth the hassle unless you positively need something that short. A 14.5 midlength and a compact supressor makes for a nice carbine. Also, if you decide to get an acog the BDC's already calibrated for that barrel length.

foxer
07-10-11, 17:56
I picked up a Noveske Skinny MOE and it seems like a good gun to me.

It's light as a feather and handles well.

I put an LMT rear sight on it and sighted it in yesterday. I'm not the best shot by any means but it shot into 3" at 100 yards and about 10" at 200, shot from prone.

Did you have them change anything from the standard set up like flash hider? Looking at this gun myself. What DONT you like about the gun?

cgbills
07-10-11, 18:50
Ok so I pulled the trigger and bought the 16" BCM BFH LW middy. Can't wait for it to get here. Now I need to sell my vortex pst 1-4 so I can finish the rifle. Don't want to put a scope on this cause of weight. Probably will do a T-1.

duece71
07-10-11, 20:08
You will be very satisfied with the BCM LW 16 midlength, I have found that it is very light and has decent accuracy. I was getting 2" groups at 100yrds. Good for my hands/eyes. My first range trip I put 720 rounds through it without a hiccup (all brass case) and the barrel turned a very light shade of grey. No loss of accuracy at all.

cgbills
07-10-11, 21:59
You will be very satisfied with the BCM LW 16 midlength, I have found that it is very light and has decent accuracy. I was getting 2" groups at 100yrds. Good for my hands/eyes. My first range trip I put 720 rounds through it without a hiccup (all brass case) and the barrel turned a very light shade of grey. No loss of accuracy at all.

What type of ammo were you using?

duece71
07-11-11, 06:55
Fed 55gr and some PMC 62gr, no steel case.

samuse
07-11-11, 07:38
Did you have them change anything from the standard set up like flash hider? Looking at this gun myself. What DONT you like about the gun?

Didn't change anything but the rear sight. I only did that because I'm familiar with the LMT/carry handle style rear and I like it for what I do.

I'm not sure what the flash hider is, but it just looks like 4 prongs sticking out off the end of the barrel. I thought it was just to look cool but after I shot it Saturday, I noticed that it doesn't blow dirt and grass in my face when shooting from prone.

rob_s
07-11-11, 07:58
Without checking their site, are both Noveske lightweights not 14.5" with pinned muzzle devices?

I would not buy a 14.5" pinned as a first/only AR. The Noveskes both appear to be fine products, and their reputation speaks for itself, but if you're just starting out I would opt for a 16" lightweight from Colt or BCM (or, if I'm wrong about the Noveskes being 14.5", Noveske), or Daniel Defense.

cgbills
07-11-11, 10:11
Without checking their site, are both Noveske lightweights not 14.5" with pinned muzzle devices?

I would not buy a 14.5" pinned as a first/only AR. The Noveskes both appear to be fine products, and their reputation speaks for itself, but if you're just starting out I would opt for a 16" lightweight from Colt or BCM (or, if I'm wrong about the Noveskes being 14.5", Noveske), or Daniel Defense.

Yes the only LW I have seen from Noveske is a pinned 14.5

Fire_Medic
07-11-11, 10:28
Yes the only LW I have seen from Noveske is a pinned 14.5

DSG is selling a 16" version.......