PDA

View Full Version : Grain, Bullets,?

g3driver
10-23-07, 22:17
I know that this is very general, but I am new to shooting and have looked every where for some information and differences in ammo in .223. I wanted to learn about what the differences are between grain ie 50, 55, 75, ect and manufacture of ammo ie federal, wolf. Any education in this matter would be great.

Thank you in advance.

E

Short Bus
10-24-07, 07:27
I know that this is very general, but I am new to shooting and have looked every where for some information and differences in ammo in .223. I wanted to learn about what the differences are between grain ie 50, 55, 75, ect and manufacture of ammo ie federal, wolf.

Yep, VERY general...

Bullet weight (in grains) and design are typically a consideration when examining what kind of shooting you're going to be doing / what your intended target is. Light, super-fast (40 - 50 gr.) loads are typical for varmint hunting. Heavier (68+ gr.) loads are typical for longer range / match shooting. The middle ground (55 - 62 gr.) is where most of the anti-jihadi rounds are found. There is some crossover, depending on the application.

Very light weight bullets (< 50 gr.) typically require slower rates of barrel twist (1:12) in order to be stable in flight and not tear themselves apart. The 'fat boys' (75+ gr.) often require a faster twist (1:7). The middle ground runs on a 1:9 twist. Twist is expressed as the number of revolutions the bullet makes for every 'x' inches of travel down the barrel. A 1:9 twist has the bullet making one revolution per 9 inches of travel down the barrel.

Black Hills, Federal, Winchester, Remington, Hornady, et al. make the good stuff. Wolf, PRVI, Barnaul, et al. are good for less expensive training ammo. You wouldn't catch me staking my life on it, though!