PDA

View Full Version : What's the best mil/spec receiver extention and why

1craig1
10-23-07, 22:42
What's the best mil/spec receiver extention and why ? I am trying to find the best quality and strongest tube available.. I asked this question a week ago on ar15.com and got no response..Any and all input appreciated.....
Thank's in advance Craig

Robb Jensen
10-24-07, 04:40
I like the VLTOR, LMT, Colt, & CMT in that order.

Aubrey
10-24-07, 12:13
gotm4,
Please elaborate on what puts one above the other on the list. I know that the Vltor has the stock-position markings, but I'm curious about any other differences between the various REs. Thanks!

Robb Jensen
10-24-07, 12:18
gotm4,
Please elaborate on what puts one above the other on the list. I know that the Vltor has the stock-position markings, but I'm curious about any other differences between the various REs. Thanks!

I prefer the numbers on the VLTORs and it being 5pos is perfect for me (I use a CTR and VLTOR E-MOD on click 3).
I like how tightly the LMT ones fit the stocks, Colt is just good by default and nothing special about the CMTs.

AR-15A3
10-24-07, 13:15
From what I'm currently using and have used so far Vltor has the best finish and is my favorite.

I also got LMT but don't like their gray finish and I've had Colts before they're good also but only four positions.

III
10-24-07, 21:34
The most impotrant thing(strength wise) about buffer tubes is the construction.What you are looking for is impact extruded. I am not sure which companies use this type of tube .

shamayim
10-26-07, 13:03
I've had Colts before they're good also but only four positions.

Current Colt production has 5 positions.:)

AR-15A3
10-29-07, 12:40
Current Colt production has 5 positions.:)

That's great, there was talk last year that Colt will be releasing 6 positions stocks but they never did.

By current production do you mean Fall 2007 production run, what about the '06 batch?

Please share any pics, links, ads, etc, interesting that they would go 5 positions instead of 6.

I might get some for future spares, some guys here might also be interested.

Thanks.

mpardun
10-29-07, 15:03
I am finding that even on the longest setting, I could use an extra inch or so of length for an ideal position.

This may be a lame question, but is theer such a product available for a carbine buffer?

markm
10-29-07, 15:14
I could use an extra inch or so

:eek:

mpardun
10-29-07, 15:18
see this coming :D

too late now...

markm
10-29-07, 15:28
Seriously though...

I think you might have to go with a rubber buttstock pad type thingy to get extra LOP. I saw Rob_s had one in one of his pics. Not that you'd get a full inch of additional pull however. But it would add some length.

Shihan
10-29-07, 17:50
I saw an extended pad somewhere? I will post it if I can find it.

mpardun
10-29-07, 18:05
I'm using a CTR now, would it be worth trying an EMOD? I hear there is some extra LOP (at least relative to the old modstock).

Shihan
10-29-07, 18:19
I'm using a CTR now, would it be worth trying an EMOD? I hear there is some extra LOP (at least relative to the old modstock).

There is more LOP in the EMOD than CTR. The EMOD is my fav.