PDA

View Full Version : It Is Never Too Early To Teach Gun Safety...

SteyrAUG
07-11-11, 16:30
Boy Dies After Being Shot in Head with BB Gun (http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-story-reidsville-bb-gun-woods-shooting-110710,0,1208623.story)

Most of us older guys probably can't even fathom 10-14 year olds being so ignorant about firearms that something like this could happen. Sadly most kids today only know about airsoft and paintball and see every "air rifle" in the same light.

When I grew up you could let most 14 year olds shoot ACTUAL firearms without incidents like this. These things are very avoidable. I can't imagine the pain being felt by all involved.

And a final reminder that just because YOUR KIDS are educated doesn't mean the kids they will associate with know these things. Make sure they know when it is time to leave when stupid kids start doing stupid things with air rifles and such.

Jellybean
07-11-11, 23:44
I'm not one of the 'older guys' here, but damn!
When I was young my parents never let me have so much as a nerf gun. And yet, when I would go over to a friends house and use his BB gun I always knew not to point it at anyones head. Just kind of common sense....:confused:
And to think back in the day kids this age used/owned REAL guns, and shooting booths at fairs and such used standard .22s. Go figure.

Of course, as somone said: 1 boy, 1 brain- 2 boys, half a brain.

Regardless , it's still a shame something as (it seems so far) easily avoided as this happened.

ReaperAZ
07-12-11, 10:14
Man oh man that's horrible. I could have been that kid from what happened to me at a you age. Breaks my heart to read stuff like this. I feel for the family.

My incident:

When I was a young kid(11)I was shot on the eye with a BB gun by a friend. He tripped while carrying the gun, WITH HIS FINGER INSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD! As soon as he hit the ground the gun discharged and the BB apparently turned into a heat seeking missile that was bound for my eye. I closed my eye just in time as the BB split my lid wide open and bruised my eyeball. I freaked out thinking I was never going to see out that eye again. Took weeks for me to get sight back in the eye. My father taught me the basic rules of handling guns and I knew something bad was going to happen watching this friend use the BB gun. Literally seconds after I said, "Maybe you should put this away Billy!", I was hit. The doctor said that if it had hit milimeters in any other direction it could have either stuck my eye directly and caused catastrophic damaged to the eye or possibly gone past my eye into more serious areas. So I learned at a young age just how serious BB guns can be.

Suwannee Tim
07-14-11, 08:36
I doubt this was done with a BB gun, more likely a pellet rifle and probably one capable of 900 fps or more. Some years ago a neighbor's child was shot by a BB gun in the sternum. The boy just pointed the rifle at her and pulled the trigger. He thought it was out of BBs. If it had gone between two ribs it could have caused a lot more trouble. A local child was killed by a 22 shot to the head a couple of days ago. I would never have done any of these things as a child, my father trained me in gun safety from an early age.

SteyrAUG
07-14-11, 11:33
I doubt this was done with a BB gun, more likely a pellet rifle and probably one capable of 900 fps or more.

It is almost a certainty that this is a air rifle capable of firing BBs that is being presented as a BB gun. And I strongly suspect a pellet is the actual projectile.

Suwannee Tim
07-14-11, 20:06
I've been hit by a BB gun a couple of dozen times, a couple in the head and only one broke the skin, that being self inflicted and a range of 1/4 inch. We did wear goggles when engaging in BB gun fights. They do leave a hell of a wheal. It just astonishes me that someone would point a gun at another person and, not meaning to kill them, pull the trigger.