PDA

View Full Version : AZ GUY WITH gun in CA? What can I do ?

Pappabear
07-11-11, 17:03
I know this has been covered to some extent with AR's. I just traveled to CA for work. Leaving town , AZ, I felt like this sucks.
Since I didn't know, I didn't bring a gun. What could I have brought with me.

Can I carry a gun in my car in holster in center console?
What about in a range bag or brief case?
What is the deal ?

Thanks

QuietShootr
07-11-11, 17:05
I know this has been covered to some extent with AR's. I just traveled to CA for work. Leaving town , AZ, I felt like this sucks.
Since I didn't know, I didn't bring a gun. What could I have brought with me.

Can I carry a gun in my car in holster in center console? :lol:
What about in a range bag or brief case?:lol:
What is the deal ? there's a reason those of us in free states think California sucks.

Thanks

FIFY.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-11-11, 19:12
FIFY.

Thats helpful....

Locked case w/no ammo in it. Center console is not a locked case. Open carry only if unloaded and no magazine inserted. You could bring pretty much any pistol as long as you have 10 rd mags for said pistol. AR's would be a no go as Im sure you dont have a BB'd or featureless AR.

dookie1481
07-11-11, 20:26
If you have a mag that holds over 10 rounds, hide it well or throw it in the trash. Potentially a felony.

dookie1481
07-11-11, 20:27
Thats helpful....

Locked case w/no ammo in it. Center console is not a locked case. Open carry only if unloaded and no magazine inserted. You could bring pretty much any pistol as long as you have 10 rd mags for said pistol. AR's would be a no go as Im sure you dont have a BB'd or featureless AR.

I read on CalGuns that it was okay to have the ammo in the same case as the pistol, just not loaded. Do you know for sure?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-11-11, 20:28
I read on CalGuns that it was okay to have the ammo in the same case as the pistol, just not loaded. Do you know for sure?

You're right I believe. Either way, I dont even hassle with it.

dookie1481
07-11-11, 20:31
You're right I believe. Either way, I dont even hassle with it.

Yeah no doubt.

RagweedZulu
07-11-11, 22:59
I'm CA law enforcement. The locked thing is a good idea. Ammo can be with it, just not inserted in mag well. Open carry unloaded, no mag. Otherwise this friggin Soviet State will just leave you alone. Do not declare a concealed weapon to LE. Unless specifically asked (not likely).

Although this state bites the big one, I'm employed by same and am stuck here behnd the Granola Curtain for ten more years. It's pretty damn sweet being LE here though. Full capacity mags, instant pistol purchases ( longs too), CCW anywhere any time. Next to the paycheck, the freedom of weaponry is the biggest benefit to doing this job.

C-grunt
07-11-11, 23:16
Pop smoke and retreat back to freindly lines. Ill lay down some covering fire while you swim across the Colorado River.:D

RagweedZulu
07-11-11, 23:24
I love it C-Grunt. I'm deep undercover for ten more years here. Part of the Conservative Underground. We're gathering information and infiltrating such institutions as state law enforcement. It appears we are outnumbered, I'm requesting HE fired danger-close. Rendezvous on your side of the blue line. Fire on any persuers wearing tie-dye or sandals. RagweedZulu out.

Country DeVil
07-12-11, 00:06
I spend time in CA too. I keep a pistol with me.
thought you might find this interesting

open cary on news
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJVpCMyMKWU

raw footage of open cary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHvk0vY6fwk&feature=related

hatidua
07-12-11, 06:48
It's pretty damn sweet being LE here though. Full capacity mags, instant pistol purchases ( longs too), CCW anywhere any time. Next to the paycheck, the freedom of weaponry is the biggest benefit to doing this job.

I'm going to take a wild guess that even LEO's don't get to have personal NFA/class-III items out yonder.

Atchcraft
07-12-11, 08:30
I'm CA law enforcement. The locked thing is a good idea. Ammo can be with it, just not inserted in mag well. Open carry unloaded, no mag. Otherwise this friggin Soviet State will just leave you alone. Do not declare a concealed weapon to LE. Unless specifically asked (not likely).

Although this state bites the big one, I'm employed by same and am stuck here behnd the Granola Curtain for ten more years. It's pretty damn sweet being LE here though. Full capacity mags, instant pistol purchases ( longs too), CCW anywhere any time. Next to the paycheck, the freedom of weaponry is the biggest benefit to doing this job.

I transplanted from WA. I don't think I could live here if not for being LEO. I'm in the same boat as you, 10 years, a wake up and I'm gone!

Triple7
07-12-11, 09:35
I'm sorry....stupid Texan here. What's the point of OC if it's unloaded? Can you carry a loaded mag with you?

VooDoo6Actual
07-12-11, 09:49
This link should help you out regarding your query.

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general-faq/7142-transporting-handguns-california-faq.html

12026.1. (a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the following applies to the firearm:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment.
(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm, the firearm is contained within a locked container.
(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in accordance with this chapter.
(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device.

We recommend you err on the side of caution while transporting firearms. Its better to be within the law than to be in the gray area and be hooked and booked and become a test case.

From Attorney general's Office:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.php

I know it gets ridiculous ....

Page 4 of this PDF may answer your query as well

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/casl.pdf

Here's the most recent stats I know where to find recent CCW data in case anyone's interested.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ccwissuances2007.pdf

HTH....

Dos Cylindros
07-12-11, 10:13
I'm going to take a wild guess that even LEO's don't get to have personal NFA/class-III items out yonder.

You are correct, we do not. No SBR's or cans unless they are department owned and issued.

Pappabear
07-12-11, 10:27
Thanks guys, the harsh truth has surfaced. Wouldnt take me too long to slap in mag. Certainly not ideal, but it is what it is.

Pappabear
07-12-11, 10:34
I spend time in CA too. I keep a pistol with me.
thought you might find this interesting

open cary on news
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJVpCMyMKWU

raw footage of open cary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHvk0vY6fwk&feature=related

Being from KY and living in AZ it's just shocking that multiple people called in about the guy. The whole thing just seemed weird. God Bless Arizona and other such states.

C-grunt
07-12-11, 12:09
Being from KY and living in AZ it's just shocking that multiple people called in about the guy. The whole thing just seemed weird. God Bless Arizona and other such states.

Every year we get a few 911 calls in Phoenix of a guy with a gun that turns out to be a guy just OC. It usually happens at the start of winter when the snow birds move down.

donlapalma
07-12-11, 12:33

I second this. I'm originally from CA and know that one day I will be moving back to my friends and family. I just cringe at the thought of the loss of rights that I have grown to love and appreciate here in AZ.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-12-11, 13:29
I'm sorry....stupid Texan here. What's the point of OC if it's unloaded? Can you carry a loaded mag with you?

So they can say they didnt deny us the right to "carry" and therefore not give out CCW permits. You can be a loaded mag on you if you want, but CA LE will inevitably hassle you over it as most (not all) are either anti or ignorant of the very confusing laws.

Hogsgunwild
07-12-11, 14:42
I cringe every time the wife talks about us driving with our son to Disneyland in SoCal. I have lived in northern and southern CA long ago and tolerated the laws while I was there but after having CWPs in Utah and AZ and living in Arizona for so long, I will feel about as comfortable going to Cali now as Anita Bryant going to the Gay Rights Parade...:eek:

markm
07-12-11, 14:58
Last time I went to Cali, I took my pistol. I just pegged every speed limit and traffic law possible to avoid any LE contact.

I guess if you have to shoot some asshole, you might as well flee the scene and hope for the best...

Hogsgunwild
07-12-11, 15:39
Last time I went to Cali, I took my pistol. I just pegged every speed limit and traffic law possible to avoid any LE contact.

I guess if you have to shoot some asshole, you might as well flee the scene and hope for the best...

Not that I've ever done this thing that you speak of, but, +1 ;)

And remember, if you get caught shooting the asshole, he will get a parade and you, you will never see light again...

RagweedZulu
07-12-11, 16:52
Funny that Disneyland was mentioned. I've been quite a few times and have always had either a G27 or G30 on me. Funny part was the lady checking bags at the entrance saw a Gerber Multi Tool in my pack and sent me back to hotel to stow it. "You can't carry THAT in here!!" I didn't have the heart to show her the other gear on my person.

Thank God I'm LE and live in a conservative bastion that hands out CCW permits to almost anyone. Pulled a guy over just this morning for speeding. He mentions the .357 in his center console, drags out his permit and assured me he was on my side. I thanked him for being armed, told him I wished everyone was and let him go, no citation. Im still leaving this state ASAP.

darr3239
07-12-11, 17:12
I'm originally from CA and know that one day I will be moving back to my friends and family. I just cringe at the thought of the loss of rights that I have grown to love and appreciate here in AZ.

Yeah, I grew up in CA and moved to AZ via the Air Force. I retired from Law Enforcement three years ago and there is nothing, I repeat nothing that will get me to move back.

I figure it's up to family members to be responsible enough on their own, to decide where they, and their immediate families, can live with some sense of freedom. I abosolutely refuse to hand over any of the freedoms I currently have. What price has Freedom? What is it's value? The Founding Fathers thought is was something to die for.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-12-11, 19:15
Funny that Disneyland was mentioned. I've been quite a few times and have always had either a G27 or G30 on me. Funny part was the lady checking bags at the entrance saw a Gerber Multi Tool in my pack and sent me back to hotel to stow it. "You can't carry THAT in here!!" I didn't have the heart to show her the other gear on my person.

Thank God I'm LE and live in a conservative bastion that hands out CCW permits to almost anyone. Pulled a guy over just this morning for speeding. He mentions the .357 in his center console, drags out his permit and assured me he was on my side. I thanked him for being armed, told him I wished everyone was and let him go, no citation. Im still leaving this state ASAP.

CA needs more men like you, both in LE and GP. I hope you educate your fellow officers and bring them to the side of the constitution.

RagweedZulu
07-12-11, 19:53
CA needs more men like you, both in LE and GP. I hope you educate your fellow officers and bring them to the side of the constitution.

I'm working on it Marine. Be safe out there.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-12-11, 19:55
I'm working on it Marine. Be safe out there.

Dont leave until July of next year. Then you can escape and evade. Thats my only request haha.