PDA

View Full Version : Civilian NV - What’s the best available to us?

VA_Dinger
08-15-06, 04:53
What is the absolute best NV legally available to civilians? For the sake of the conversation, please leave cost out of it. Monocular or binocular goggles only, no weapon dedicated models. I’m just asking this out of curiosity. I have no need or even want NV; it’s just something I’ve wanted to ask for the past six months.

Thanks.

CPR
08-15-06, 14:36
Good question. I'm also interested.

Chris

cohiba
08-15-06, 14:45
Dinger,

I just got this in. I posted in the custom build forum but here's one pic. This is the newest version of the AN/PVS-14 with the single battery compartment and a few other upgrades. Most importantly, this is a hand picked tube with top of the line specs. For what you asked for, this is pretty much the pinnacle for civilians.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pvs1401.jpg

VA_Dinger
08-15-06, 14:49
Cohiba, anything that nice should be on your 416 upper. ;)

:D

JC_
08-19-06, 18:43
I also have a PVS 14 - hard to beat it. Very versatile. I am told the "mum" is very nice as well but I have not used one.

I sold my PVS 7b goggles after I got the PVS14s. They were probably better for walking around but I noticed that there is not much depth perception in either.

Most of the time you will probably not have the unit weapon mounted (walking around) so the less expensive PVS 7 may be the way to go but it is really handy to be able to attach it to a weapon...

Seems like the PVS5 is easy enough to get and has two tubes for better depth perception. If the PVS 15s are on the civi market, the are supposed to be great for depth perception but you are not able to mount them onto a weapon either.

Anything 1st gen should be skipped.

Any of the above would probably be great if you had an IR laser.

I am not expert on NV though. If I had your budget, I would be thinking thermal!

KevinB
08-20-06, 19:00
Several individuals CONUS will build units to suit.

I had a (G) ANVIS-9 Dual tube system built for less than a PVS-14D had cost me two years ago...

I like the MUM with the C123 battery - one of my bitches on the PVS-14 setups.

I have played with PVS-14 and PVS-18 MNVG systems and while I like them far and away better than the old Cyclops vision of the 7X series a dual tube setup is head and shoulders about them and has really got to be seen and experienced to be belived.

However most dual tube (Insight, Litton etc) manufactuers will not sell them to civilains.

Victor
08-26-06, 16:17