PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92FS owners - have a question for you

GrandPooba
07-11-11, 21:21
I've read that the trigger spring on the Beretta should be replaced every 5000 rounds or so as they were prone to breakage. I figure it wouldn't hurt to pick up a couple just as spares in case something should break.

My 92FS is a new version that comes with the plastic trigger, not metal one. Are the trigger springs different between the two types of triggers? I've read that the Wolff aftermarket trigger spring wasn't compatible with the plastic trigger. Any truth to this? The springs I am looking to get are shown below:

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/BERETTA/92,%2096,%20AND%20CENTURION/cID1/mID2/dID36#65

DaveR
07-12-11, 10:42
According to Wolff, you can't use their INS trigger, shown at the top of your link, with the polymer coated trigger.

You can get an all metal trigger and then use the INS spring set up.

If you just want to replace the standard trigger spring, it doesn't matter whether you have the all metal or polymer coated trigger.

Dave

Sgt_Gold
07-12-11, 11:40
I replaced the standard 92 spring with the Wolff unit. The difference is night and day. I say swap out the plastic trigger and be done with it.

ShipWreck
07-13-11, 06:34
The plastic/metal trigger only matters if you are wanting to use the INS spring.

And, for the record, the "plastic" trigger is still metal, it just is covered in polymer on the outside.

Yes, you should replace the standard trigger return spring every 5k, so it doesn't break at the wrong moment. I have a few on hand, and recently just changed one in my carry gun. I replaced it at 4k with my recoil spring - just so I could keep track of it since it was done at the same time.

Just be aware that it is common knowledge that if you go the INS spring route, the standard INS spring will actually ad at least a pound to your trigger pull.

I have a D spring and tried the INS spring 1x. IT actually pushed the trigger weight back up to almost stock. So, I went back to just a normal trigger return spring after that.

There is a reduced INS spring, but people get mixed results. It works for some, and for others, the trigger doesn't return smoothly. There seems to be some natural variation from specimen to specimen.

GrandPooba
07-13-11, 08:23
ok, thanks.

I will stick with my standard polymer trigger and just pick up a couple of extra standard trigger springs.

I already have a 'D' mainspring installed, which improved the trigger pull considerably.

ShipWreck
07-13-11, 10:04
ok, thanks.

I will stick with my standard polymer trigger and just pick up a couple of extra standard trigger springs.

I already have a 'D' mainspring installed, which improved the trigger pull considerably.

Yes, the D spring is the best thing and easiest thing you can do to improve your trigger pull on a Beretta 92 variant!

I have a trigger guage, and here are some results from testing a couple of 92 variants....

At the time I tested my carry gun, it had 3000 rounds thru it (I have 4k thru it now), all with the D spring... Out of 10 pulls with the trigger guage, the DA average was 8lb 3.5oz, and the SA average was 4lb 10.4oz.

However - a test of a 90-Two 9mm with NO "D" spring showed a DA average of 11lb 7.0oz and a SA average pf 5lb 4.0oz.

So, as you can see, it makes a big difference!

JonInWA
07-13-11, 15:49
I have a 1996 production 92D, which I purchased brand new in box in 2006. With approximately 2K rounds downrange (but with many dryfire trigger iterations, which in all fairness must be counted in the round count), the trigger return spring broke.

After much research, I decided to replace the trigger return spring with Wolff's TCU/INS unit; they suggested the reduced-power set up.

After much use, I've noticed no significant difference between the previous OEM spring and the Wolff unit (that's a good thing, actually).

As my 92D is used for both carry and IDPA competition, I feel much more confident with the durability and longevity of the Wolff unit. However, in all fairness to Beretta, they informed me that approximately 8 years ago they revised and strengthened the 92's trigger return spring, increasing its durability-but the recommended replacement interval is still every 5K rounds (or triggerpulls).

If desired, you can get an older totally metal 92 trigger, and then use the Wolff unit.

Concurrent with the trigger return spring replacement, I also replaced the recoil spring, triggerbar spring, and slide release spring, all with Wolff springs.

Zero problems to date since.

Best, Jon

Kalash
07-13-11, 16:30
Yes, the D spring is the best thing and easiest thing you can do to improve your trigger pull on a Beretta 92 variant!

I have a trigger guage, and here are some results from testing a couple of 92 variants....

At the time I tested my carry gun, it had 3000 rounds thru it (I have 4k thru it now), all with the D spring... Out of 10 pulls with the trigger guage, the DA average was 8lb 3.5oz, and the SA average was 4lb 10.4oz.

However - a test of a 90-Two 9mm with NO "D" spring showed a DA average of 11lb 7.0oz and a SA average pf 5lb 4.0oz.

So, as you can see, it makes a big difference!

Thanks for posting that. I'm going to try the D spring in my M9A1.

GrandPooba
07-13-11, 18:46
However, in all fairness to Beretta, they informed me that approximately 8 years ago they revised and strengthened the 92's trigger return spring, increasing its durability-but the recommended replacement interval is still every 5K rounds (or triggerpulls).

Is there a way to find out which "generation" my 92FS is? I'd like to know if mine has the strengthened trigger spring or not. I bought it new in box late 2010. I did notice that when installing my 'D' mainspring, removing the lanyard loop required me to punch out a roll pin. In the various youtube videos I've seen, they pushed the lanyard loop down on a hard surface in order to let the pin just fall out freely. I'm not sure if that can help you judge how new my 92FS is.

I put about 3000 rounds through it in the past few months and gets used for training and competition, so it gets shot a decent amount.

ShipWreck
07-13-11, 22:18
I have "heard" that the trigger return springs are stronger now than in the 1980s too... But, I can't say for sure.

However - the reason you had the roll pin is that ALL italian models come with the roll pin. That easy push out lanyard pin is only in the USA made models.

I replace the lanyard roll pin with a USA pin on all my Italian models. I wait until I have both the D spring and the USA pin, and replace both at the same time. I HATE that roll pin. Some 92s seem to be harder than others to knock out the roll pin on... My two 92 compacts were a REAL pain in the butt.

The Stoeger Cougar 45 was also a REAL pain in the butt. I almost gave up on that one, actually

R0N
07-14-11, 04:59
I replaced all the composite triggers on my Beretta with steel ones, the composite ones give you a gritty trigger pull

ShipWreck
07-14-11, 06:16
I've had both metal and polymer triggers. I have noticed no difference between the two in terms of feel of trigger pull.

Someone on the Beretta Forum posted yesterday that the INS trigger didn't work in their Italian 92FS, but would work in their USA made Beretta 92. Apparently there was some sort of slight, slight difference in the frame. Like a mm or less difference.

Anyway - one should count dry firing in that 5k when its time to change the spring.

brushy bill
07-14-11, 19:46
I replaced all the composite triggers on my Beretta with steel ones, the composite ones give you a gritty trigger pull

Source? What about recoil spring guide rod and safety lever? I might just pick up a M92, but not without option to replace polymer parts with steel. I don't mind polymer in a polymer gun, but not one initially designed as steel...silly I know, but can't help it.

LHS
07-14-11, 20:51
Source? What about recoil spring guide rod and safety lever? I might just pick up a M92, but not without option to replace polymer parts with steel. I don't mind polymer in a polymer gun, but not one initially designed as steel...silly I know, but can't help it.

The parts, other than the guide rod, are not actually full polymer. They are stamped steel coated with polymer to replicate the dimensions of the original machined steel parts.

brushy bill
07-14-11, 20:54
The parts, other than the guide rod, are not actually full polymer. They are stamped steel coated with polymer to replicate the dimensions of the original machined steel parts.

Anyone have a source for machined steel parts to replace to polymer covered stamped steel? Apologize for thread hijack.

R0N
07-15-11, 04:18

Just what I felt on the several Berettas I have bought over the years. There is nothing wrong with the guide rod or safety levers, just didn't like the feel of the triggers.

krm375
07-15-11, 06:26
http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com/beretta92customwork.html

Take a look at David Sams if you need some custom work done on a Beretta, He was an AMU gunsmith and makes some excellent guns.