PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to shoot my AR-15 at an outdoor range at 100 yds....how'd I do?

Rolex_John
07-12-11, 12:18
Hey guys,

I did a little write up on shooting my S&W M&P 15 at Spring Valley Gun Range this weekend. This was my first opportunity to shoot at 100 yds. - I include a target photo in the article. I'm hoping that with practice I can get all my shots "in the black" at 100 yds.

Shooting My S&W M&P 15 At Spring Valley Outdoor Gun Range

mini4m3
07-12-11, 12:51
What kinda ammo you pluggin' away with? Minute-of-Paper isn't too bad for your first time out. But with that PRO you should be able to shrink them down to the black area with some practice of the fundamentals.

mattw82
07-12-11, 12:52
My targets look about the same at 100 using a Comp ML3 4 moa. Mine might be a little more spread out. What size dot does your PRO have? I notice that with my brightness setting at the lowest visible, my groups tighten up considerably.
Nice write up!

Brennan
07-12-11, 13:00
What day was that? I was just there on Sunday. I would think you could tighten those up. I was only shooting at 50 yards, but here's mine.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2v2gyz9.jpg

Eric
07-12-11, 13:06
What size dot does your PRO have? They are all 2MOA.

Rolex_John
07-12-11, 14:00
My targets look about the same at 100 using a Comp ML3 4 moa. Mine might be a little more spread out. What size dot does your PRO have? I notice that with my brightness setting at the lowest visible, my groups tighten up considerably.
Nice write up!

I was technically using the 2nd level of brightness. Level one was just faint with the bright morning daylight.

Rolex_John
07-12-11, 14:02
What day was that? I was just there on Sunday. I would think you could tighten those up. I was only shooting at 50 yards, but here's mine.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2v2gyz9.jpg

That's excellent from 50. I was considerably tighter at 50, but not that good.

I too was there on Sunday - from about 9am until about 11:30.

Work2shoot
07-12-11, 14:44
Twitter post deleted.

ucrt
07-12-11, 15:12
....Just a note...

If you zero at 50, you should be dead-on at 50. If you're not, you're not zeroed at 50. Zeroed at 50, you should be 1-1/2" - 2" high at 100.

Unless you have no other way to zero, use sandbags. Bracing off of the mag is a help but I wouldn't consider it a steady rest for a good zero.
It is hard to say if you're group is a little left or a little right or dead-on.

Look at Brennan's group, there's no doubt (depending on circumstances) that he's about 2 moa to the right. Easy adjustment and nice group.

Also, you might want to not seem so much like a publicity hound by posting everywhere...
But maybe it's just me...

Rolex_John
07-12-11, 15:24
....Just a note...

If you zero at 50, you should be dead-on at 50. If you're not, you're not zeroed at 50. Zeroed at 50, you should be 1-1/2" - 2" high at 100.

Right...I didn't mean to suggest that if you zero to 50 yards, you'd be less than dead on at 50 yards.

Also, you might want to not seem so much like a publicity hound by posting everywhere...

I posted this on the two AR-15 sites I participate on and get feedback from. Not "everywhere." :rolleyes:

Brennan
07-12-11, 19:26
That's excellent from 50. I was considerably tighter at 50, but not that good.

I too was there on Sunday - from about 9am until about 11:30.

I was there from 1:30 til 3:00

....Just a note...

Unless you have no other way to zero, use sandbags. Bracing off of the mag is a help but I wouldn't consider it a steady rest for a good zero.
It is hard to say if you're group is a little left or a little right or dead-on.

Look at Brennan's group, there's no doubt (depending on circumstances) that he's about 2 moa to the right. Easy adjustment and nice group.

Yeah, I know my optic is off a bit.. I was resting against the mag trying to be steady, and my eye sight isn't that great... The thing that has honestly helped me the most (IMO) with my groups has been my Timney single stage trigger.

http://i56.tinypic.com/24fxrit.jpg

thehun
07-12-11, 22:27
Hey guys,

I did a little write up on shooting my S&W M&P 15 at Spring Valley Gun Range this weekend. This was my first opportunity to shoot at 100 yds. - I include a target photo in the article. I'm hoping that with practice I can get all my shots "in the black" at 100 yds.

Shooting My S&W M&P 15 At Spring Valley Outdoor Gun Range (http://thrumylens.org/firearms/shooting-my-sw-mp-15-at-spring-valley-outdoor-gun-range/)

Not bad..my suggestion is learn to have a closer group while your standing...not sitting down...just like how you would if you were to defend your self...just for practicality sake

jahwarrior1423
07-12-11, 22:34
could of used the ammo box...

bp7178
07-13-11, 02:36
With AR15s, ammo can be the difference between a 4" group and a 5/8" group.

In looking at your target, if that was low end 55gr ammo, Wolf et al, then its not bad. If that target is Hornady 75gr Match, then you may have a problem. ;)

Not bad..my suggestion is learn to have a closer group while your standing...not sitting down...just like how you would if you were to defend your self...just for practicality sake

At a 100 yard threat?

Rolex_John
07-13-11, 08:25
I was there from 1:30 til 3:00

Yeah, I know my optic is off a bit.. I was resting against the mag trying to be steady, and my eye sight isn't that great... The thing that has honestly helped me the most (IMO) with my groups has been my Timney single stage trigger.

http://i56.tinypic.com/24fxrit.jpg

Wow...thanks for the recommendation. I wouldn't think the trigger would make that big of a difference. On my M&P 15, there's virtually no slack in the trigger, and it seems pretty light. But I guess it's no different than any "stock" AR-15? :confused:

thehun
07-13-11, 08:32
Yes sir. Only time I shoot on the bench is when I need to zero in. Every other time its off the bench, drills etc. In my opinion, and its just my opinion...shooting on the bench proves nothing in the real world about how you can shoot, yes it lets you get used to the trigger pull and somewhat the recoil..again its just my opinion:suicide2:

thehun
07-13-11, 08:33
Wow...thanks for the recommendation. I wouldn't think the trigger would make that big of a difference. On my M&P 15, there's virtually no slack in the trigger, and it seems pretty light. But I guess it's no different than any "stock" AR-15? :confused:

I agree with you. The MP15 trigger is a good solid trigger, about 7lb pull on it

Brennan
07-13-11, 08:59

If i remember right, the stock one is a 2 stage 7-8 lb. pull (don't hold me to that). Mine is a single stage 3 lb. pull. I'm not saying at is the reason why either, but it has personally helped me a lot. The rifle you see me using in the photo is also a M&P15.

spamsammich
07-13-11, 09:00
Is your boy in the habit of breaking cheek weld and jumping off the trigger immediately after the shot breaks or was that the end of the mag? He should be staying on the optic, maintain contact with the trigger between shots and get out of the habit of checking his hits/breaking cheek weld.

I sometimes shoot at this range that has a 1 shot per mag policy and it is horrible for trying to zero or group since you have to break weld with every shot. If he is big enough, you may want to teach him to shoot nose to charging handle so he has a repeatable point of reference when he is establishing cheek weld.

Brennan
07-13-11, 09:04
Is your boy in the habit of breaking cheek weld and jumping off the trigger immediately after the shot breaks or was that the end of the mag? He should be staying on the optic, maintain contact with the trigger between shots and get out of the habit of checking his hits/breaking cheek weld.

I sometimes shoot at this range that has a 1 shot per mag policy and it is horrible for trying to zero or group since you have to break weld with every shot. If he is big enough, you may want to teach him to shoot nose to charging handle so he has a repeatable point of reference when he is establishing cheek weld.

This, and I work on my breathing habits while I am shooting. When I took my concealed carry class, they showed me how to be much steadier if I hold my breath right before the shot.

spamsammich
07-13-11, 09:12
Alternatively, you can break the shot at the bottom of your respiratory cycle, between breaths. I find that if I hold my breath for a bit, I start to shake. Not so much if I settle the sight picture down between the breaths and break the shot.

STAFF
07-13-11, 09:14
Hey guys,

Shooting My S&W M&P 15 At Spring Valley Outdoor Gun Range

Post your info on this forum and do not link to another blog.