PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan Arms extended FH

Cincinnatus
07-12-11, 14:51
Any opinions on this device? I have a buddy who is thinking about a retro build with something like this on board. In your opinion, do you think it would be a mistake to perm pin this to an 11.5" barrel to bring it up to 16"?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=62477/pid=40771/Product/Extender_Flash_Hider

ryan
07-12-11, 14:57
My question is why? When you can run a 16" and be able to change muzzle devices, or a 14.5" pinned to 16" and have the benefits of a longer rifled barrel without the goofy long cigar on the end. If he already has the upper, SBR it or make a pistol. The practicality of an AR pistol is certainly debatable but for one living in a ban state or not wanting to go the nfa route its an option.

Cincinnatus
07-12-11, 15:07
He wants that Vietnam era, retro look without having to go NFA. I myself am dubious at the whole concept of this particular FH, and IMHO, I think it WOULD be a mistake to pin that thing to a perfectly good rifle. But I wanted to hear what others thought before I tried to talk him out of it.

ryan
07-12-11, 15:16
He wants that Vietnam era, retro look without having to go NFA. I myself am dubious at the whole concept of this particular FH, and IMHO, I think it WOULD be a mistake to pin that thing to a perfectly good rifle. But I wanted to hear what others thought before I tried to talk him out of it.

I have tried to talk friends out of what they want with mixed results. My very first ar was a LAR/model 1 mutt same config that he wants, A2 upper and a loooong pinned flash hider. The damn thing just would not run, I sold it and it was 5 or so years till I got interested in ARs again. Knowing what this website and people in the know have taught me I might be able to get it to run but never would trust my life to it. Now I realize it was due to the super cheap parts used in the build and not the configuration itself that said I still would not buy a BCM set up like that.

kartoffel
07-12-11, 20:28
Vulcan Arms? Say no more.

scottryan
07-13-11, 15:23
If he wants the retro look, why cant he use one of the long slipover hiders?

Cincinnatus
07-13-11, 16:01

Ah, good point. I'll point that out to him.

Biz Kizzle
07-14-11, 15:05
Vulcan Arms? Say no more.

agreed.

Cincinnatus
07-14-11, 15:12

Okay, I've told him about that. He is now giving me some BS about weight reduction of the extended version over the other. At this point, I'm thinking it's his rifle and he can do whatever he wants with it and take his own lumps.

scottryan
07-14-11, 15:15
Okay, I've told him about that. He is now giving me some BS about weight reduction of the extended version over the other. At this point, I'm thinking it's his rifle and he can do whatever he wants with it and take his own lumps.

Your friend can't be helped. He has to learn it the hard way.

af22raptor
07-15-11, 17:33
I have a 11.5 inch Heavy Barrel that was flutted at the Factory by Bushmaster that Originally came with an AK74 compensator that I purchased back in the 1999 and this summer I have been upgrading the Carbine with all sorts of Magpul Goodies and I swapped the AK74 with a Bushmaster 5.5 inch CAR flash hider. The Carbine is very nicely balanced and its very accurate. Currently I have this configuration as my Home Defense Carbine.
Might want to take a look at the Bushmater site and check out their CAR15 flash hider its about 15 dollars cheaper than the Vulcan and I think its better made.

ryan
07-15-11, 18:09
Your money would be better spent replacing the Bushmaster parts with something a little more quality oriented. The notion that Bushmaster makes anything better than anyone else is laughable at best.

af22raptor
07-15-11, 18:19
Your money would be better spent replacing the Bushmaster parts with something a little more quality oriented. The notion that Bushmaster makes anything better than anyone else is laughable at best.

Well the Bushmaster has never had any issues and I have a Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster and had an Olympic that never worked right so I sold it. As long as the weapon shots accuratly and reliably and I am happy that my Bushmaster works just as well as my Colt or Armalite.
I am not brand mioptic so as long as a weapon is put together right I will give it a chance. Currently my next AR is going to be a Spike Tactical or Daniel Defense not sure which yet or build a custom from a match Rock River Upper/Lower combo.

ryan
07-15-11, 18:24
I believe the Colt runs, we agree on that and nothing else. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532, see post #7.

ryan
07-15-11, 18:25
Daniel Defense or Spikes are head and shoulders above RRA, Bushjamster, or Armalite. Unless it lives in a safe, shoots dirt clods or other inanimate objects that dont/cant shoot back then they are all fine.