PDA

View Full Version : My new Spike's .22LR Upper

Toolzero
10-24-07, 14:33
This is my new AR-22 with Spike's upper.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/Toolbox-X/AR-22/IMG_3566.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/Toolbox-X/AR-22/IMG_3639.jpg

(I'm in CA, so the can is fake and that is just a 27rd BDM mag body. We will have 10rd BDM mags here soon.)

I've only fired 1000 rounds, but it has redefined .22LR reliability for me. So much fun.

Spike's Tactical is awesome.

Mike729
10-25-07, 10:45
Toolzero, very nice!

What kind of can? Are those the new Black Dog Machine full size mags? I've been using a Ciener kit and it's cheap and lots of fun so I may go with something more 'dedicated" in 22lr.

Thanks,

Mike

eta - just reread about the can, nevertheless, very nice setup!

rob_s
10-25-07, 11:30
I just sold my DPMS upper and some nylon gear to fund one of these.

What rail is that on it? YHM?

Toolzero
10-25-07, 17:26
It's the most reliable .22 I have. The mags are the new Black Dog mags and they are amazing!

My friend has a very similar Spikes setup.
Golden Bullets are the only rounds we've had any feeding issues with. Everything else has gone through with no problems, including the Aguila Hyper Velocity.

That is the YHM specter length solid rail. I made sure to get the solid rail because the lightweight rail is so open, you can see the back of the fake SD suppressor which ruins the look of the rifle IMHO.

I had a spare complete LMT lower with SOPMOD and 2-stage trigger sitting in my safe, so that's what I used. The lower and trigger shouldn't matter, you can use anything.

The only advice I give people is to be careful with the balance of the look you are trying to achieve.
The fake suppressors really add a thickness to the look of the rifle front half that can be hard to balance with the look of the rear half. Certain stocks have a think look to them that balances great with lightweight front halves, but don't look right with really thick front halves like mine.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so do whatever makes you happy.

dukduk
10-25-07, 18:18
how much are these uppers? the site is down, i want one

k9dpd
10-25-07, 21:39
I pick up mine tomorrow, cant wait

Sam
10-26-07, 06:05
I pick up mine tomorrow, cant wait

k9:

You've got all the cool toys. I want to shoot it :)

Jeff_M
10-26-07, 14:14
Nice upper, you will be happy with it.

Here is a picture of mine:

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=381&stc=1&d=1193425879

I am currently at 2085 rounds. I have been using the older style 30 round blackdog mags.

525 were Remington golden bullets. This did not run well at all. I continually had failure to feed problems in the last 5 to 10 rounds of each mag.

The other 1560 rounds has been 36gr Federal bulk pack from Walmart. I have had 2 light primer strikes and 1 failure to eject. I am pleased with how reliable the upper is. Previously, I owned a DMPS upper. I was also reliable, but I sold it so I could use the 30 round BDM mags.

Price: I paid $450 for an upper, barrel, and modified Ciener kit.

ech01
10-26-07, 15:07
Hello everyone, just wanted to say thanks for supporting Spike's tactical and we hope that you'all enjoy your Rifles!

If you havent seen it, I've put together a video of the 22's being used on F/A lowers and supressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPJxrHiYSpI

if you guys have ANY videos of your rifles in action, PLEASE email them to me!

Same with Pictures!

ech0109@gmail.com

I'd love to put together another video from customers.

Hootiewho
10-28-07, 10:47
Where can you get one of these uppers. Nice looking rifles guys.

ech01
10-28-07, 10:56
Where can you get one of these uppers. Nice looking rifles guys.

They sure are, Spike's can also build it to your specific needs before it leaves the shop:

www.spikestactical.com or Spike/Angela at 407.928.2666

thmpr
10-28-07, 13:29
That is a sweet looking .22 AR. I need to pick me up one if these in the future. Tagged for future use.

rob_s
10-28-07, 13:31
I spoke with Spike a couple of months ago at the Miami gun show. I need to get in touch with him and see what the cost will be for what I want.

Weird thing at the show was, it wasn't other customers that kept butting in to the conversation it was his employees that didn't seem to be able to do anything without checking with him first.