PDA

View Full Version : 870 express or Wingmaster

Triple7
07-13-11, 11:29
Guys here is the situation. I want a shotgun for all around use, I've looked at several and like the 870 line (especially the price).
I ran across a 870 express at Dick's for $275...wood finish nice gun.
then last night I came across the 870 Wingmaster used for $275. (great condition from the pics I saw)

The WM is a 20g and the Express is a 12g.........

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the express right now, NIB and I can put hands on it. (plus I think I'd prefer a 12 to 20)

Artos
07-13-11, 11:37
I would go with a clean used wingmaster any day over the express...slicker than snot on a doorknob.

obucina
07-13-11, 11:38
what is your definition of all around use? I have an 18.5in barrel Mossberg 500 for home and range use, but would rather use my Wingmaster for pork acquisition activities.

goodoleboy
07-14-11, 09:58
My Dad had a Wingmaster, and it was one sweet shotgun. I have the 870 Express in 12 ga, mainly because of the affordability at the time. My only drawback in your situation is the Wingmaster is in 20 ga. I have no experience with a 20 ga, but it would not be my ideal choice for a shotgun I planned to use for self-defense purposes. I would go with the 12, but this is because I have a safe full of various 12 ga loads. If I didn't, it would be a tough choice. That being said, I have no reservations about my 870 express other than I don't have a heat shield over the bbl. She gets a wee bit toasty when you empty a couple of tubes in rapid succession.

The main drawback in the express is that it is strictly a self-defense gun at my house. I have a 1300 Winchester NWTF edition that I use for hunting purposes.

Triple7
07-14-11, 10:21
All around being second line Home defense, a little bird, a little clay, and a little just messing around.

20 vs 12 is really what I'm considering more than anything.

goodoleboy
07-14-11, 10:32
All around being second line Home defense, a little bird, a little clay, and a little just messing around.

20 vs 12 is really what I'm considering more than anything.

In that case, I would probably go with the Wingmaster. Much more versitile gun, IMHO.

scottryan
07-14-11, 15:20
An 870 express is not fit for combat or any type of use where it has to last.

BKS
07-14-11, 20:32
Do both the guns have the flex tab system? If so, to me its not a hard decision, Wingmaster..

NoBody
07-14-11, 20:35
An 870 express is not fit for combat or any type of use where it has to last.

Quantify that statement. Are you referring to the plastic trigger housing, the QC, the plugged tube, etc.

NoBody
07-14-11, 20:38
Do both the guns have the flex tab system? If so, to me its not a hard decision, Wingmaster..

Without a doubt, the Wingmaster is a finer weapon. However, we cannot overlook the issue of 12 ga vs. 20 ga. IMHO, I think 20 ga is suitable for (inside the) home defense and well as recreational shooting. This is especially true if being used by women or youth shooters.

zacii
07-14-11, 20:42
The Wingmaster is built a little better, but the Express will do the job, too.

There are many suitable defense loads in 20 gauge, no worries there.

I have a 12 gauge Express, and it's served me well for 15 years. It's never seen combat, though. Just clays and doves.

scottryan
07-14-11, 21:21
Quantify that statement. Are you referring to the plastic trigger housing, the QC, the plugged tube, etc.

You already quantified it for me.

Gutshot John
07-14-11, 23:14
Why is it always blahblahblah is plastic and therefore the gun must be an unreliable POS.

You can replace a trigger housing, you can replace the extractor, you can replace one or two other parts if you find that you've got a used express. That's just about it.

The wingmaster is the higher quality gun and I'd go with the 20 gauge but if you really prefer the 12 gauge...and replacing the occasional filling (:sarcastic:) than the 870 is just fine.

ucrt
07-14-11, 23:37

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples as far as the setup...both vent ribs, screw-ins, wood/plastic, wear, etc.

I live in shotgun country and have bought/sold about 20 Express's over the years. Picked up #21 this past Monday - like new 20 Youth with plastic stocks for $170 walkout and that is the most expensive one I've ever bought.

Down here, 870's are dime a dozen. A minty Express sells used for <$200 and used Wingmasters about $250-$300.
The Express's are just too common to buy new...at least down here...

But maybe it's just me...