PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19's for the US Air Force

Slater
07-13-11, 13:15
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=6a303bc6931379d3a518fe25d22bbee1&tab=core&_cview=0

The above buy is presumably for aircrew or maybe Security personnel. Is this a first-time acquisition for the AF?

(As petrified as the USAF is of small arms, I'm a little surprised that Glocks were chosen)

F-Trooper05
07-13-11, 13:19
AF pilots have been carrying G19's for a while.

VooDoo6Actual
07-13-11, 14:09
good choice.

CAVDOC
07-13-11, 15:05
probably similar to the contracts for various 9mm's the Army has- to arm private contract gate guard personnel. Not for mainline fighting troops. Contrary to another poster, the AF has not been arming pilots with glocks.they still use beretta 92's or sig 228's. there was a unit during the first desert storm that got authorization to carry privately purchased glocks due tot he shortage at the time of suitable pistols-they would have otherwise been given 38 revovlers

sinister
07-13-11, 15:08
On behalf of the Air Force can mean many things.

It could be for aircrews but the paperwork doesn't say for whose (they could be going to Iraq or Afghanistan).

If it's for special operators then typically (but not always) the contract would be from USSOCOM. If it's Air Force money for Air Force bodies then it would be a USAF buy.

The contract is open to Freedom of Information Act inquiry, so if you really wanted to know you could send in a request letter through channels.

If it's for a US military buy then DoD has returned to the point where we were in the early 80's when the military had dozens of different handguns on the books from Model 10 and 15 revolvers, Smith snubbies for aircrews and cops, Rugers for Marine Embassy Security Guards, .45s, and all different sorts of cat-and-dog authorizations.

The M9 Beretta is typically the mass-issued US GI weapon. There are always exceptions that prove the rule (i.e., the M11 / SIG 228 for aircrew and cops, intelligence folks, and other small number outfits).

peruna
07-13-11, 15:45
Not for mainline fighting troops. Contrary to another poster, the AF has not been arming pilots with glocks.they still use beretta 92's or sig 228's. there was a unit during the first desert storm that got authorization to carry privately purchased glocks due tot he shortage at the time of suitable pistols-they would have otherwise been given 38 revovlers

That's my understanding as well. One time, one unit.

F-Trooper05
07-13-11, 20:01
Contrary to another poster, the AF has not been arming pilots with glocks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but go to the Glock website under "Models" and this is what it says under "Glock 19"...

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

"The GLOCK 19 is ideal for versatile use through reduced dimensions compared with the standard pistol size. With the proven caliber
of 9x19, it has found worldwide distribution in security services. In addition to being used as a conventional service weapon, it is suitable for concealed carry or as a backup weapon. For instance, many of the elite pilots of the USAF for instance trust the GLOCK 19 for their efficient defense in emergency situations."

Avenger29
07-13-11, 20:16
"The GLOCK 19 is ideal for versatile use through reduced dimensions compared with the standard pistol size. With the proven caliber
of 9x19, it has found worldwide distribution in security services. In addition to being used as a conventional service weapon, it is suitable for concealed carry or as a backup weapon. For instance, many of the elite pilots of the USAF for instance trust the GLOCK 19 for their efficient defense in emergency situations."

This doesn't actually mean there is a single Glock 19 in USAF inventory.

Allow me...

In addition to being used as a conventional service weapon, it is suitable for concealed carry or as a backup weapon

Doesn't say the US military uses it as a service weapon. But other nations DO use the G19 as a service weapon.

For instance, many of the elite pilots of the USAF for instance trust the GLOCK 19 for their efficient defense in emergency situations."

This doesn't actually say USAF pilots carry or use G19s operationally. This statement would be true if USAF pilots own personal G19s for use in emergency situations on off-duty time (CCW off base or home defense). And there are probably plenty of USAF pilots who own personal G19s for just such personal use. But the statement is often interpreted by people as "USAF pilots carry G19s in the plane". Which is what is NOT stated but a good marketing department has worded it well.

JHC
07-14-11, 11:51
Not for mainline fighting troops.

Many Glocks in use by mainline fighting troops. US troops. Particularly in SOCOM.

dewatters
07-14-11, 14:09
If you will note, this is an add-on to an existing multi-year Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity contract administered by the US Army. As far as I can tell, most of the orders have been for Foreign Military Sales clients.

MadcapMagician
07-14-11, 14:41
There are some units within the Air Force currently utilizing the Glock 19. A batch of trainers/armorers made it through Smyrna a few months back.

romanowe
07-14-11, 19:28
My guess would be OSI. Pure speculation.

Zog
07-14-11, 20:29
I have seen with my own eyes AF Aviators overseas carrying Glock 19s.

ST911
07-14-11, 23:48
Active duty folks from a variety of branches, and civilian personnel using DOD gear attached to, are using plenty of widgets that aren't standard issue DOD wide.

I understand curiosity, but that's all we need to know about it.

Rob96
07-15-11, 06:15
I have two aquaintances, one is former USAF that went to work for the Army as a civy. He has carried the M9, M11 and G19 with the standardizing on the M9A1. The other persons issue sidearm is and has been a G19. These pistols are limited in whom they go to.

Timbonez
07-15-11, 13:45
AF pilots have been carrying G19's for a while.

This is not correct. Those AF aviators who do get a sidearm get a Beretta.

PJ2RESQU2
07-15-11, 17:44
Battlefield Airman (PJ/CCT/SOWT) in specific USAF units have used Glock series pistols for some time now.