PDA

View Full Version : Help Setting Up RIBZ

aaron_c
07-13-11, 20:23
Hey guys, I've read over several threads on doing this but there is a thing or two I'm not able to wrap my brain around tonight (perhaps because I've never dealt with an elevation-adjustable rear sight).

When I set my rear sight to the 6/3 setting, it's either nearly topped out or completely bottomed out (resting against the 'frame' of the sight, so to speak). In the pictures detailing the process in the thread, the sight appears to be somewhere in the middle. What's the deal here, do I need to set my numbers to 6/3 and get the actual elevation dial somewhere around the middle of the range top-to-bottom? Or is it supposed to bottom out at 6/3, and I crank the lower part of the elevation wheel +10 and set it, thus giving the space in the pictures?

Thanks for any help!

Quentin
07-13-11, 20:44
Follow these IBZ directions from Colonel Chuck Santose to reindex your rear sight and it will make sense. For a sight that has 6/3 you want it to bottom out four or five clicks below 6/3. If you're going to do the RIBZ add two extra clicks for the 100 yard zero, when you're six clicks under 6/3 you have a 100 yard zero and you still can have the IBZ 45/200 meter zero -4clicks) and regular battlesight zero at 6/3. Of course you have to lock the rear sight down then zero using the front sight as usual.

http://www.fsguns.com/ibsz.html

jonconsiglio
07-13-11, 20:44
Did you loosen or remove the screw that stops the rear from going below the '3'? I believe that's what needs to be done for the RIBZ, IIRC.

aaron_c
07-13-11, 21:15
Any tips on lubricating the rotation of the elevation knob a little bit? What to use etc? I know they are going to be pretty rough but if they were just a little easier to turn, I'd be better able to know how many clicks I've cycled through.

I've got it set up so that it can go six half-clicks below the 6/3 setting, before it bottoms out. I think that's right by all that I'm reading. Can't wait to get it out to the range and get it sighted in. This should be perfect for me since we have both a 25-yard indoor range (6/3 setting) and a 100-yard outdoor range (6/3 -6).

Quentin
07-13-11, 23:41
Any gun oil should be fine for that. Take the sight off the rail and put a few drops in a few holes on the bottom of the elevation wheel and turn it a revolution so the ball bearing inside gets some oil.

Yeah having the IBZ, RIBZ and BZO is a lot of fun. Nice to have three zeros just by counting a few clicks. Not perfect but surprisingly good.

jonconsiglio
07-14-11, 08:39
Of them all, the RIBZ works best for me. Most of our local ranges max at 100 and when I have access to longer ranges, I still stay within 200 to 300 for 95% of my AR shooting. When shooting steel out to 300, there's nothing to think about or really hold over/under.

aaron_c
07-14-11, 09:12
Yeah, my two local ranges are a 25-yard indoor range and a 100-yard outdoor range so this setup should be perfect for me.