PDA

View Full Version : Magpul trigger guard

shinny77
07-13-11, 21:06
Anyone have any info on the magpul poly trigger guard. And would you get the aluminum trigger guard or the poly one?? Any info would help.

Black Jeep
07-13-11, 21:09
It gives you a little more room and it is a cheap and easy "upgrade." If you don't like it, you're out $8. If you like it and find that you're hell on the trigger guard, then get the aluminum one.

shinny77
07-13-11, 21:11
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it!

thopkins22
07-13-11, 21:15
If you feel the need to upgrade from the regular one because of your finger getting raw from the gap, you can solve it cheaper with the gapper or by stuffing a foam earplug in there. If you feel the need to upgrade because you use gloves, or simply because it's bad ass/whatever...get the aluminum one. The plastic one does not extend far enough to the rear to cover the gap between the trigger guard and the grip, whereas the aluminum one does.

nimdabew
07-13-11, 21:16
Tried the plastics. I will only buy the aluminum ones from now on.

The plastic ones will still allow the lowers trigger guard ears to bite into ungloved hands, but the aluminum ones extend further down and protect the topside of your fu*k you finger on your firing hand. Very benificial.

Cameron
07-13-11, 21:19
Tried the plastics. I will only buy the aluminum ones from now on.

The plastic ones will still allow the lowers trigger guard ears to bite into ungloved hands, but the aluminum ones extend further down and protect the topside of your fu*k you finger on your firing hand. Very benificial.

That is funny my experience has been the complete opposite and I ditched all my aluminum ones for the plastic ones...

Cameron

JasonM
07-13-11, 21:30
That is funny my experience has been the complete opposite and I ditched all my aluminum ones for the plastic ones...

Cameron

I am in the middle, my plastic ones fill the gap and cover the ears jsut as much as my aluminum one.

I think they are a great cheap add on and the plastic is gtg.

hals1
07-13-11, 21:43

Cameron

Still have any you want to get rid of?

aaron_c
07-13-11, 21:55
I got the aluminum one several days ago and it has been kind of the type of thing that you forget is there, because it's so nice. I forget it's there because I'm no longer feeling like the factory one is in the way or pinching, and I doubt I'd have another AR15 without one.

JasonM
07-13-11, 22:48
Still have any you want to get rid of?

I've got one I'll mail you if you PM me your mailing info.

arizonaranchman
07-14-11, 14:02
My guns have the polymer/plastic ones and they're great. No issues with discomfort or irritation while shooting.

donwalk
07-14-11, 17:40
i installed one on my Spikes Tactical and haven't looked back. :)

SteveL
07-14-11, 17:46
I put the plastic one on my rifle. So far I haven't found it to be insufficient. If that day comes I'll try the metal one. I've read on this forum alot that the roll pin Magpul includes is often very difficult to install due to its diameter. Alot of people use a roll pin other than what comes with the trigger guard.

Dragon88
07-14-11, 18:31
"The Gapper" for $3 with the standard trigger guard is my preferred fix. Quick install, easily reversible, no irritation to the middle finger and I prefer the parallel look of the standard trigger guard.

I put the plastic one on my rifle. So far I haven't found it to be insufficient. If that day comes I'll try the metal one. I've read on this forum alot that the roll pin Magpul includes is often very difficult to install due to its diameter. Alot of people use a roll pin other than what comes with the trigger guard.

Yup. I installed the aluminum version on an AR couple years ago. I ditched the roll pin included by Magpul after having difficulty pounding it in, went to a regular roll pin from a parts kit.

Fobar
07-14-11, 18:58
I've got one of each. No complaints with either as the plastic one fills the gap between the ears too.

bakercountyboy
07-14-11, 19:02
i just got done installing my aluminum magpul trigger guard with the help of SteveL and it fills the gap nicely. very nice product. i also used the stock roll pin

Fire_Medic
07-14-11, 21:23
Not too long ago at local drill night, my middle finger was getting tore up with the MOE trigger guard/MOE+ grip combo. I am going to try the aluminum one again and see if it is remedied. The 90 degree ledge on the edge of the grip where it meets the trigger guard is not flush with this grip. I did not have any issue in the past with either trigger guard when using the Miad grip, so we'll see.

overbyc1
07-18-11, 18:24
I would caution you on the install with the tiny screw. I bought my rifle used and the tiny 1/16" screw is stripped out. If you would have to take it off for any reason, ala, putting on a redi-mag/mod, you will have to drive the rear pin out. Not a daunting task, but easily avoided if the small screw would not have stripped out. A few have reported using a Torx size 7 on the tiny screw works well.

Stan9106
07-18-11, 19:12
"The Gapper" for $3 with the standard trigger guard is my preferred fix. Quick install, easily reversible, no irritation to the middle finger and I prefer the parallel look of the standard trigger guard.

My favorite too. Why fix what isn't broken?