PDA

View Full Version : How did I do - used BCM Middy

overbyc1
07-14-11, 00:34
So, I finally got enough money saved up to get my first starter rifle. I was going to order a Colt 6920, when I found this deal on a local firearms EE here in NC. Took a drive tonight and here is what I brought home. I think I got a good deal, how did I do? $1000

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/overbyc1/SplicedAR.jpg

Bravo Company 16" Mid Length Upper
Daniel Defense LITE 9" Handguard
Bravo Company Lower
BCM BCG - Auto (with IONBOND Finish)
BCM GUNFIGHTER Charging Handle w/ Mod 4(MEDIUM) Latch
Magpul BAD
Troy Folding Battle Sights
Blue Force Gear Redi-Mod
KNS Non-Rotating Trigger and Hammer Pins

This was a very well maintained rifle from the original owner. Only 100 rounds fired through it. I removed the OD Green Magpul MIAD and XTM rail covers, not too fond of the color (anyone want to trade for black??).

I am going to add the following:

Magpul MOE or MOE+ grip, if the 2nd would come to fruition.
Magpul CTR Milspec Buttstock
I need to research a light and mount. Not sure what I want to do.
Some sort of forward grip, be it Tango Down Stubby or AFG (might have to get both and decide)
I need a sling and a Sling QD point on the rail and some kind of covers. The XTM's in black might do the trick.
Aimpoint H1 with Larue mount (gonna have to save for this one)

I'm thinking of ditching the Redi-Mod and putting it up here on the EE to fund my extra parts.

Hopefully will be able to grab a few hundred rounds and give it a go on Monday.

This will be a HD, SHTF, fun shooting type gun. I plan to attend some courses in the spring after I am able to complete the build and practice with it. Takes a while to build up the funds for ammo and accessories. Waiting on a friend to get his so we can take the course together.

Im thankful that this forum is around. Saved me from trading my Sig P229 for a bushmaster, and focused me on saving for a higher quality stick. Big thanks goes to jonconsiglio for sending me here.

Thanks for your input.
Andy

BSWilson
07-14-11, 01:29
How'd you do? You stole it.

How do you sleep at night...

:D

Pax
07-14-11, 02:36
You did excellently. You ought to feel very lucky for finding such a good deal.

Most people here prefer and will advocate some type of offset light mount for the Surefire 6P or G2 series of lights. For HD applications, I agree entirely. A simple 6PLED is cheap, reliable and effective. It is also upgradable down the road if you find that you need more light. You may see many people here with Surefire Scout lights, and while they are very low profile, very light and just as reliable and more powerful than the 6P series, they are also incredibly expensive and the 6P will defend your home just fine.

In terms of mounts, almost all of the feedback Ive seen on the VTAC offset mount has been excellent. Its very cheap and effective. A respectable option. If you believe you need the extra security and durability of an aluminum and/or steel mount, Gear Sector, VLTOR and LaRue all also offer rock solid and proven offset mounts.

Reconsider your "need" for a vertical foregrip. Maybe you do need it. Just dont assume you do because you saw Jack Bauer use one once.

In my experience, Magpul XTMs have rattled a bit on my rails and been far from secure in their fit. I have never had one get knocked off, they're solidly on the rail, they just rattle. Personally I see no reason to not opt for something like Tango Down SCAR panels or LaRue Index Clips, (Ive heard excellent things about the latter but never used them).

If you really want to ditch your Redi-Mod, let me know first, eh? I was going to buy another one and Mod it myself, but it would be a lot easier to steal yours.

120mm
07-14-11, 02:59
Great buy.

Personally, I don't care for the KNS pins, but leave them, they don't hurt anything and the BAD, which I would personally ditch.

For a light, I like VTAC and Surefire. I have a G2

wetidlerjr
07-14-11, 05:04
...Reconsider your "need" for a vertical foregrip. Maybe you do need it. Just dont assume you do because you saw Jack Bauer use one once...

Hey ! If Jack uses it; Bill uses it ! :jester:

rob_s
07-14-11, 06:42
The BAD is extremely helpful in conjunction with the Redimod, FWIW.

I think you did great. Brand new the base rifle would be $1k and you also got the rail and Redimod.

Mikesull415
07-14-11, 08:04
Very nice looking rifle

markm
07-14-11, 12:22
The good thing about the BAD and KNS pins is that they are easily removed. I'd order some Colt fire control pins from brownells.

I'd say that's a good buy.

spamsammich
07-14-11, 12:59
I sorta feel bad for the previous owner, he really must have needed the money. That's a lot of rifle for a grand.

brzusa.1911
07-14-11, 13:00
Well done!

Vegas
07-14-11, 13:14
I sorta feel bad for the previous owner, he really must have needed the money. That's a lot of rifle for a grand.

That's what I was thinking. By the time you add up the extra's you are well ahead of the game for a practically brand new rifle.

dookie1481
07-14-11, 13:16
Yeah that looks to be about $1400-1500 worth of stuff off of the top of my head...good deal.

Failure2Stop
07-14-11, 16:11
You did good, now get a case of ammo and hit the range.

NeoNeanderthal
07-14-11, 16:52
Dye the OD parts black with RIT DYE. There are plenty of posts on here about it, you'll never know the difference.

lethal dose
07-14-11, 17:08
Great buy on what should be a very serviceable weapon. Glad to see someone who joined, researched, listened, bought. I would buy a good white light and mount first, then a few cases of ammo, then take a vsm course, and then take what you learned and practice. Stick around, you'll like it.

tpdavis89
07-14-11, 17:44
Good score Sir!

I'll echo what everyone else is saying, you certainly came out ahead in that transaction. All thats needed is a case of ammo and some range time. Let us know how she shoots.

Rhat
07-14-11, 18:39
I'm jealous...I want that exact same upper and they've been out of stock and I can't find them used! ;)

overbyc1
07-15-11, 00:09
First off, thanks to everyone for your replies. I appreciate your advice.

@BSWilson - Slept very well actually, with a smile on my face too!

@PAX - I have a G2 Incan and its a great light, the G2X seems to fit the bill. I'm going to have to research the mount, but I have also seen that the VTAC is clearly a winner. I think I'm going to at least try an AFG, worst case is I can resell it. Have you ever seen how much stuff Jack Bauer gets done in a day?? It's astounding. :p Redi-Mod is off the rifle, Ill let you know when its up on EE, you get first shot.

@markm - Would you really remove the KNS pins even though they are there? Don't really want to start up that debate again in this thread, but I'm of the thought, that they are there and don't really hurt anything.... Don't think I would have bought them though.

@spamsammich - The rifle had been up for sale for a few weeks. He didn't even get any serious bites. There was even a price drop. Of course, that board always has lots of DPMS and Bushy stuff for sale at lower prices. Could have been the reason it didn't sell. He did mention he was selling for the money to get a fancy guitar. Guess that's another expensive hobby.

@Failure2Stop - Ammo will be my next purchase. Stock, Grip, Mags, and rail covers are on the way.

@NeoNeanderthal - Wish I would have thought of that sooner. Already ordered replacement parts. Those guys are quite talented with the dye.

@lethal dose - I learned right away that this board was full of knowledgeable folks. I've learned a lot since I joined. I can literally read for days. :)

@Rhat - Good luck, keep looking. I obviously got lucky.

Thanks again folks. More pics when I get my goodies in the mail.

Clarkm
07-15-11, 11:27
Nice rifle! THe stores around here are too busy selling "the brands that sell well" to stock quality rifles.

Dave L.
07-15-11, 12:32
I would ditch the BADidea lever before the screws come loose.

As a matter of fact, I would sell that Redi-Mag and buy ammo.

Other than my $.02, you got a great deal on what appears to be a great rifle.

Dave L.
07-15-11, 12:34
I'd order some Colt fire control pins from brownells.

This is good advice.

120mm
07-15-11, 22:03
This is good advice.

Why? Am curious why you'd ditch KNS pins.

I would never install them on one of my builds, but if they were already installed, I do not know why I'd take them off.

Is there something wrong with them? Other than being unnecessary, that is....

Dave L.
07-16-11, 01:37
Why? Am curious why you'd ditch KNS pins.

I would never install them on one of my builds, but if they were already installed, I do not know why I'd take them off.

Is there something wrong with them? Other than being unnecessary, that is....

I truly believe they are a waste of money, well made from quality materials, but unnecessary. I have three sets I bought about 4-5 years ago believing they were worth the money. My work guns have never had them and they work.
Another reason is that they require two small hex keys to remove for maintenance. Hex keys that small are hard to find on a FOB. That money could be better spent on extra milspec Colt pins.

strambo
07-16-11, 12:14
Nice rifle!

Leave the KNS pins on, consider simply getting a drop in LED unit for your G2 like a Malkoff or TNVC and an offset mount. Youy could also get an MOE stock and a Noveske QD end plate saving a few $.

mkmckinley
07-16-11, 12:45
You got a great deal. I was just perusing the local gun trader board and it was full of people asking for $1300 for Bushmasters and DPMS.

ZuluDeltaBravo
07-17-11, 21:29
I would also suggest a set of rail covers (of whatever flavor you fancy) while you're trying to decide on whether or not you want to go with or w/o a VFG; bare rails are pretty unforgiving on bare hands.

...and a case of ammo;)

BrigandTwoFour
07-17-11, 23:06
For the light, I'll throw in a pitch for the Elzetta ZFL M60. Great light, great people to deal with, and fits any mount that fits the Surefire 6P.

overbyc1
07-18-11, 12:10
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/overbyc1/ARleft-1200.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/overbyc1/ARright-1200.jpg

Update: Goodies came in today.

-Magpul CTR stock
-Magpul Extended Buttpad
-Magpul MOE Grip w/ CR123 insert (for the eventual flashlight)
-Magpul AFG2 - gonna give this one a go, like the grip so far.
-Magpul XTM rail covers
-Ergo Ladder covers on the top.
-(5) more PMags with window and ranger plates for a total of 7.

I removed the Redimod. I like the idea of it, but don't think I need it.

Still need:
-front Rail mounted QD connection.
-sling
-Flashlight and mount
-AMMO!

Thanks everyone for the input, now I need to shoot the darn thing!