PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Ruger P89

Gutpile Charlie
07-14-11, 14:31
I currently own a Ruger KP95DC and a KP97DC that I have had for some time now. Like some many "recent" offerings from Ruger, they had to be "fixed" by the replacement of some parts, at no charge, from Ruger. After the "fix" they are 100%.

Some of the recent Ruger offerings, the revolver and auto pistol have also had "issues."

Now, here's the deal. My friendly neighborhood dealer has a like NIB P89, two mags, box and stuff for $250.00.

What are your views? Price seems right. It is in perfect shape. Anything I'm not seeing here? What do you think of the P89. Some seem to think it is one of the best of the "P" pistols.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

TOrrock
07-14-11, 16:37
I'd put that $250 in a Glock Gen III jar and look for a good used one.

Or, buy a case of quality 9mm and use it for training ammo.

I honestly don't see the need to purchase a Ruger P series when there are so many other good designs out there, unless I'm a die hard Ruger fan.

lloydkristmas
07-14-11, 16:49
In my experience, theyre big, heavy, not particularly accurate, and ugly, but they are reliable, and they are decently made.

Consider this another vote for "save another hundred for a used Glock" unless you just really want the Ruger.

Quentin
07-14-11, 17:41
Well $250 is a good price for a reliable brand name 9mm. But I hate the P89 my buddy has. Big, clunky and awkward. But it works.

Funny, we both bought a 9mm the same day years ago, he got the P89 for $389 and I bought an FM Hi Power for $250. He was the one looking for a gun that day while I just tagged along. He went to buy a Glock but ended up with the Ruger. I saw the Argentine HP and no way was I walking out without it.

In the store he loved it but at the range we both agreed it was too big and awkward for a 9mm. Compared to the sleek HP, well no comparison.

He hangs on to the P89 because he can't get his money out of it. It does make a good nightstand HD pistol but difficult to carry.

longball
07-15-11, 09:13
I'd put that $250 in a Glock Gen III jar and look for a good used one.

Or, buy a case of quality 9mm and use it for training ammo.

I honestly don't see the need to purchase a Ruger P series when there are so many other good designs out there, unless I'm a die hard Ruger fan.

+1
Having put some rounds through a P89 I would prefer a used Glock any day. If you are patient there are some good deals out there on police trade in Glocks.

signal4l
07-15-11, 09:52
Put the money towards a used P228 or P226

ChocLab
07-15-11, 09:57

ucrt
07-15-11, 10:12
Put the money towards a used P228 or P226

======================================

I love Sigs but I agree with Templar on just saving up for a Glock 19 (s).
Heck, I'd eventually get rid of the other Rugers Pxx's and get backup 19's.

I've got several 19's and have never paid more than $360 for like new used ones.

But maybe it's just me...

okie john
07-15-11, 14:57
I currently own a Ruger KP95DC and a KP97DC that I have had for some time now. Like some many "recent" offerings from Ruger, they had to be "fixed" by the replacement of some parts, at no charge, from Ruger. After the "fix" they are 100%.

Some of the recent Ruger offerings, the revolver and auto pistol have also had "issues."

Now, here's the deal. My friendly neighborhood dealer has a like NIB P89, two mags, box and stuff for $250.00.

What are your views? Price seems right. It is in perfect shape. Anything I'm not seeing here? What do you think of the P89. Some seem to think it is one of the best of the "P" pistols.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

I'm suspicious of a $250 pistol, especially a Ruger. The total cost of owning it could end up including shipping it back to the factory, the time lost while it's out of your hands, etc., and in the long run it might be a LOT more than the cost of a Glock.

Don't ask me how I know.

Okie John

Tomahawk_Ghost
07-15-11, 15:21
I own a Ruger MKIII and .357 Blackhawk that are great. I dont' really care for their semi-auto centerfire guns.

Police trade in Glocks can be had for $350 all day.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_22.html

JonInWA
07-15-11, 15:23
I'm gonna provide a slightly different slant here. While I normally prefer and carry a 3d Generation Glock (G17, G19, G21, G34), I also have a P89, that I obtained brand new in 2007, right before Ruger ceased production of them.

The P89 was produced roughly from 1992-2007, if my memory serves me correctly. It incorporated the changes Ruger added to the P85 for the DoD XM10 trials (where according to a reliable source formerly with Ruger it performed superbly, but then so did the Beretta M9; accordingly {and to no one's real surprise} DoD chose to remain with the Beretta), and also from the onset had Ruger's revised firing pin safety set-up, and a more easily drift-adjustable rear sight, secured with a hex screw.

During its production run, there were numerous incrimental improvements provided to the P89, almost all of them unherelded publicly. The biggest one to look for is one where the rear of the barrel breach rises slightly above the plane of the slide; Ruger modified the barrel/slide relationship for greater accuracy and operational effeciency. As I recall, this modification was provided around or subsequent to the 304 or 305-sequence serial number.

Ruger also modified the magazine tubes, slightly lengenthing them, which placed the topmost cartridge slightly higher, aiding in the chambering process. This occurred at and above serial number 304-70000; the new magazines are also stainless with a slightly larger polymer basepad, assisting in seating. Blued magazines for earlier serialed P89s are also readily available from Ruger.

In the 3rd quarter of 2007, Ruger did a company wide massive product, processes, and quality assurance improvement program, which resulted in improvements to the guns as well as to their manufacturing and marketing processes.

My 315-serial number P89, manufactured in August 2007 was a beneficiary of this program. While I'd previously had a 1990-vintage P85 (which I carried on active duty in the early 1990s when stationed at Fort Hood) and a subsequent Davidson Special Edition 2-tone P89 of mid- to late 1990s manufacture, this 2007 one is an absolute tack-driver, providing inch to inch-an-a-half groups at 10-15 yards, with flawless reliability. While it certainly is a full-size service handgun, I have no problems in carrying it concealed in a Blade-Tech IWB kydex holster, and have competed successfully with it in several IDPA matches, including one with driving rain throughout the match.

While the double-action triggerpull is longer and very revolver-like, the single-action is short, crisp, and has a short, discernable reset point.

With the modified safety levers that Ruger switched to many years ago, the ergonomics of the pistol are surprisingly good. While I agree that the gun's slide is fairly bulky (the gun was massively over-engineered for the XM trials), the receiver is actually decently sized, and the sights are good to go out of the box.

The only changes that I've done to mine is to replace the flush mainspring cap with one incorporating their earlier lanyard-loop, and switching out the OEM Xenoy grips for a set of the Craig Spegel-designed Uncle Mike's rubber grips, which I find provide excellent grippiness and ergos. They've been discontinued for years, but are still relatively easily (and inexpensively) to be found with a modicum of diligent searching. These changes are exactly how I had my previous 1990-vintage P85 equipped, which I prefer both for nostalgia and functionality.

So-in the P89, you have a massively over-engineered gun for the 9mm cartridge, decent ergos, and an excellent reputation for reliability and durability, and one that was designed for and successfully participated in the XM trials of the 1980s. A former Ruger engineer and project manager personally considers the P89 and P90 to be the best centerfire pistols manufactured by Ruger, and very viable today.

While I consider a Glock and HK P30 to be lighter, more ergonomic, and requiring less lubrication to maintain, I hardly consider the P89 to be an obscelescent piece of junk or a boat anchor. In a DA/SA combat/service handgun, I consider my sample size of exactly 1 late-production P89 to be the equal of a contemporary HK USP, and only slightly behind the P30.

While Ruger's marketing, and probably the firearms' community's overall perception of the P85/P89 being a sort of a entry-level, genaric "bubba-oriented" handgun, they are actually in my experience far better than one would think-especially the later-production examples. Ruger's after-market service enjoys an excellent reputation, and parts/magazines for these guns are readily available, and at decent prices. While in a level playing-field sort of analysis I consider a Gen 3 Glock G17 or G19 to be a superior combat firearm, I also have no hesitation in recommending the P89 to contemporary users. Additionally, I believe that Ruger still has a program where they'll thoroughly go through virtually any of their firearms at little to no cost in most cases, updating and repairing them to factory specifications.

Best, Jon

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae343/JonInWA/Ruger%20P89/DSCN0981.jpg

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae343/JonInWA/Ruger%20P89/DSCN0979.jpg

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae343/JonInWA/Ruger%20P89/DSCN0982.jpg

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae343/JonInWA/Ruger%20P89/DSCN0978.jpg

Patriotme
07-19-11, 00:10
I had a Ruger P85 for years and later got a P89. They were both extremely reliable guns. I can't think of a more reliable semi auto that I've ever owned than these two P series Rugers. They feed everything.
With that said there are things that I don't like about the P89.
The trigger sucks. It's long and very mushy. You almost need to shoot it like a two stage trigger. If you shoot it enough to get used to it then the gun is actually pretty accurate in slow fire. It's still an awful trigger though.
The pistol is very large and blocky. It reminds me of a Tonka Truck. The P89 might be a bit large for those with small hands. I definately think it's best use is for home defense or as a service pistol. I can't imagine carrying this thing concealed.
My P89 was SA/DA. I cannot remember is some were DOA but it's worth remembering that you may have to deal with two different trigger pulls. Practice, practice, practice.
I liked my P89 and would recommend it for someone on a budget but I'd buy something a little better if I had the money. I sold mine to a friend and unfortunately he can't hit a damn thing with it and won't practice enough to gain any real skills. If you want to shoot it well it's going to take some practice to get used to that trigger. On the upside it's a really reliable gun and they are not too expensive.
I'd recommend the P89.

skipper49
07-19-11, 07:39
I think Jon summed it up very nicely. A NIB P-89 for $250 is a great buy for a very rugged pistol. They actually LOOK more "clunky" than they feel in the hand. It makes a great night stand pistol.

Skip

Ironbutt
07-19-11, 09:23
I bought a new P89 in 1992 & I still have it, although my son is using it now as a HD gun. It doesn't have near the round count as my newer Sigs or Glocks, but it's always been reliable. Mine is the "de-cock only" model. IMO the P89 is bigger than it needs to be, built like a tank & almost as heavy. For that reason it's never been a carry gun for me. I prefer my Sigs or Glocks for carry.

$250 NIB sounds like a good price to me. IIRC I paid somewhere around $300 for mine in 1992.

mashed68
07-20-11, 00:20
Since you already seem to like rugers then I say get it. I had a P90 for years and liked it alot, I only sold it to fund the FNP45.

brushy bill
07-20-11, 08:45
I'm gonna provide a slightly different slant here. While I normally prefer and carry a 3d Generation Glock (G17, G19, G21, G34), I also have a P89, that I obtained brand new in 2007, right before Ruger ceased production of them.

The P89 was produced roughly from 1992-2007, if my memory serves me correctly. It incorporated the changes Ruger added to the P85 for the DoD XM10 trials (where according to a reliable source formerly with Ruger it performed superbly, but then so did the Beretta M9; accordingly {and to no one's real surprise} DoD chose to remain with the Beretta), and also from the onset had Ruger's revised firing pin safety set-up, and a more easily drift-adjustable rear sight, secured with a hex screw.

During its production run, there were numerous incrimental improvements provided to the P89, almost all of them unherelded publicly. The biggest one to look for is one where the rear of the barrel breach rises slightly above the plane of the slide; Ruger modified the barrel/slide relationship for greater accuracy and operational effeciency. As I recall, this modification was provided around or subsequent to the 304 or 305-sequence serial number.

Ruger also modified the magazine tubes, slightly lengenthing them, which placed the topmost cartridge slightly higher, aiding in the chambering process. This occurred at and above serial number 304-70000; the new magazines are also stainless with a slightly larger polymer basepad, assisting in seating. Blued magazines for earlier serialed P89s are also readily available from Ruger.

In the 3rd quarter of 2007, Ruger did a company wide massive product, processes, and quality assurance improvement program, which resulted in improvements to the guns as well as to their manufacturing and marketing processes.

My 315-serial number P89, manufactured in August 2007 was a beneficiary of this program. While I'd previously had a 1990-vintage P85 (which I carried on active duty in the early 1990s when stationed at Fort Hood) and a subsequent Davidson Special Edition 2-tone P89 of mid- to late 1990s manufacture, this 2007 one is an absolute tack-driver, providing inch to inch-an-a-half groups at 10-15 yards, with flawless reliability. While it certainly is a full-size service handgun, I have no problems in carrying it concealed in a Blade-Tech IWB kydex holster, and have competed successfully with it in several IDPA matches, including one with driving rain throughout the match.

While the double-action triggerpull is longer and very revolver-like, the single-action is short, crisp, and has a short, discernable reset point.

With the modified safety levers that Ruger switched to many years ago, the ergonomics of the pistol are surprisingly good. While I agree that the gun's slide is fairly bulky (the gun was massively over-engineered for the XM trials), the receiver is actually decently sized, and the sights are good to go out of the box.

The only changes that I've done to mine is to replace the flush mainspring cap with one incorporating their earlier lanyard-loop, and switching out the OEM Xenoy grips for a set of the Craig Spegel-designed Uncle Mike's rubber grips, which I find provide excellent grippiness and ergos. They've been discontinued for years, but are still relatively easily (and inexpensively) to be found with a modicum of diligent searching. These changes are exactly how I had my previous 1990-vintage P85 equipped, which I prefer both for nostalgia and functionality.

So-in the P89, you have a massively over-engineered gun for the 9mm cartridge, decent ergos, and an excellent reputation for reliability and durability, and one that was designed for and successfully participated in the XM trials of the 1980s. A former Ruger engineer and project manager personally considers the P89 and P90 to be the best centerfire pistols manufactured by Ruger, and very viable today.

While I consider a Glock and HK P30 to be lighter, more ergonomic, and requiring less lubrication to maintain, I hardly consider the P89 to be an obscelescent piece of junk or a boat anchor. In a DA/SA combat/service handgun, I consider my sample size of exactly 1 late-production P89 to be the equal of a contemporary HK USP, and only slightly behind the P30.

While Ruger's marketing, and probably the firearms' community's overall perception of the P85/P89 being a sort of a entry-level, genaric "bubba-oriented" handgun, they are actually in my experience far better than one would think-especially the later-production examples. Ruger's after-market service enjoys an excellent reputation, and parts/magazines for these guns are readily available, and at decent prices. While in a level playing-field sort of analysis I consider a Gen 3 Glock G17 or G19 to be a superior combat firearm, I also have no hesitation in recommending the P89 to contemporary users. Additionally, I believe that Ruger still has a program where they'll thoroughly go through virtually any of their firearms at little to no cost in most cases, updating and repairing them to factory specifications.

Best, Jon

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae343/JonInWA/Ruger%20P89/DSCN0981.jpg

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae343/JonInWA/Ruger%20P89/DSCN0979.jpg

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae343/JonInWA/Ruger%20P89/DSCN0982.jpg

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae343/JonInWA/Ruger%20P89/DSCN0978.jpg

Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.