PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a 36" Rifle Case

aaron_c
07-15-11, 09:31
So last Monday I put my Spikes Tactical 36" rifle case up for sale on eBay after talking with the local shipping/UPS/FedEx store, who said they would have the size box I need back in stock within a few days. Well here we are almost 2 weeks later- this morning I went in to see if they had it and the owner (I think) asked what I was shipping, so I told him, an empty 36" rifle case. He seemed to suddenly get really weird about it but long story short, he said "we don't have a box to ship that" and walked off towards the back with no further explanation.

I'm going to try and go to a few stores around here in search of a properly sized box, but, any other tips for shipping something like this? Would wrapping it in that shipping paper work or anything?

MessedUpMike
07-15-11, 13:23
Shipping paper would be fine. You can also go to a supply store and essentially wrap it in cardboard. another option would to buy 2 boxes roughly half the size and join the end together to form on long box. As long as your joints are all sealed it shouldn't be an issue.

ucrt
07-15-11, 13:54

If it is a soft tapered case? I have seen them being unpacked at Gun Shows.
They are shipped with the case zipped closed and the "muzzle end" (small end) of the case is pushed inside the larger portion of the case. Kind of an "outside-in" instead of an "inside out". Does this make sense?
It makes the case thicker but about 1/2 the length.

If it is a hard case, I'd just wrap it in card board.

Eric D.
07-15-11, 14:07
Make your own box. I had a box for a treadmill in my basement that I broke down and cut out a flat pattern and folded it up. Used it to ship a 16" upper.

aaron_c
07-15-11, 15:12
Make your own box. I had a box for a treadmill in my basement that I broke down and cut out a flat pattern and folded it up. Used it to ship a 16" upper.

That's basically what I'm going to do. I got a box from wal mart for like 88c that's 26x16x16 or something. I may line the flat sides of the case in cardboard and wrap it in shipping/craft paper, and tape it up well.

crusader4x
07-15-11, 16:44
Maybe a box designed for pictures and frames?

Ridge_Runner_5
07-15-11, 18:59
I used just today an 18x12x12 box at the UPS Store. Told them it was a "padded case", they don't need to know what I kept in it.

We folded it in half lengthwise, packaged it up, and shipped it.

Box cost $5.99 + tax

outrider627
07-15-11, 21:04
I used just today an 18x12x12 box at the UPS Store. Told them it was a "padded case", they don't need to know what I kept in it.

We folded it in half lengthwise, packaged it up, and shipped it.

Box cost $5.99 + tax

The Spikes case can't be folded without possibly damaging it. It's a soft case but with some sort of hard material sandwiched between the cloth in the sides of the case.

aaron_c
07-15-11, 21:43
The Spikes case can't be folded without possibly damaging it. It's a soft case but with some sort of hard material sandwiched between the cloth in the sides of the case.

I tried to say that a little bit ago, but the post ended up being a novel that made little sense. Thank you for being concise haha.

Suwannee Tim
07-16-11, 15:36

Get a big ole box, the kind appliances are packaged in, cut it down and tape it back up around the hard case. I have a box I made for a hard case, I use the pair to ship rifles, the recipient using them to ship the rifle back to me. The pair must have 10 or 12 round trips on them.