PDA

View Full Version : Which AR Tritium Front Sight Post?

hedp
07-15-11, 17:29
I'm considering putting on a Tritium Front Sight Post for my AR.

I saw these: http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=tactical from XS sights, I was thinking about the 24/7 Stripe.

Is this a good one?

If not this one, which one is good?

$60 is a bit expensive for one sight though.

boomhower
07-15-11, 19:09
I don't like the stripe or the Trijicon ones because the dot is farther down the post. To me it would seem like it would through things off at night by moving you POA off. With the position of it if you tried using the dot at POI in the daytime the top of the post is blocking out your target. I actually bought mine just as much for daytime shooting as night. I have always been a pistol shooter with dot sight so it was much more natural and I had trouble picking up the black posts on target acquisition.

I went with the TruGlo night site and really like it. The dot is the dot and that's it. It is a pain in the rear to install and is just as bad adjusting it once installed. But once sighted in I really really like it. It does exactly what I want out of it. The XS dot version look like it would work just the same function wise and appears to install/adjust easier. It also would likely be much brighter as well. With the TruGlo sight the tritium is away from the sight and travels via a tube. I'd like to give the XS a shot but one $60 site post is enough for now. If you get it I would appreciate if you could shoot me a PM with how you like it.

I have no regrets and would purchase it again.

Link (http://www.amazon.com/Truglo%C2%AE-Tritium-Fiber-Optic-AR/dp/B001AT4UCE)to Truglo. They can be had for cheaper, I paind right around $65 or so from a seller on Amazon. CTD sells them for $67.

Fire_Medic
07-15-11, 19:18
I have had the XS 24/7 Tritium stripe on my front Troy Flip Up BUIS fir a while now. I always like the idea, no tritium in the rear, but yes up front. would be easy for my eye to catch it since on my handguns the rear sight is black and the front is tritium. Now mind you I have been shooting only irons for quite some time now, a few weeks ago when I went out to the local drill night was the first time running the tritium through it's paces.

If it wasn't for that insert, I would have gone to shit with my shooting once the sun went down. Drill night is from 6-10 PM, and with no RDS, this was an added benefit to my irons. I am changing my upper around to a front sight post now for a while and will be looking to add a night sight to the FSP as well.

Just my $0.02

hedp
07-15-11, 19:56
I have had the XS 24/7 Tritium stripe on my front Troy Flip Up BUIS fir a while now. I always like the idea, no tritium in the rear, but yes up front. would be easy for my eye to catch it since on my handguns the rear sight is black and the front is tritium. Now mind you I have been shooting only irons for quite some time now, a few weeks ago when I went out to the local drill night was the first time running the tritium through it's paces.

If it wasn't for that insert, I would have gone to shit with my shooting once the sun went down. Drill night is from 6-10 PM, and with no RDS, this was an added benefit to my irons. I am changing my upper around to a front sight post now for a while and will be looking to add a night sight to the FSP as well.

Just my $0.02

So you like the XS sights? Will you buy them again?

And your happy running only a Tritium on the front, none on the rear?

SpaceWrangler
07-15-11, 19:58
I'm running the Meprolights...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/meprolight-self-illuminated-rifle-night-sights.html

... along with a Streamlight TLR-1 white light on a Midwest Industries front sight base mount.

I don't like the stripe or the Trijicon ones because the dot is farther down the post. To me it would seem like it would through things off at night by moving you POA off. With the position of it if you tried using the dot at POI in the daytime the top of the post is blocking out your target.

Practice with the sights in different conditions so you'll know your POA/POI before you need it in an emergency.

Fobar
07-15-11, 23:26
I have a Trijicon front sight. My only complaint is that it is a very small dot.

I really don't see the need for the rear sight to be tritium because if you use the same cheek weld every time, you should be very close if not dead on with just the front sight showing.

Fire_Medic
07-15-11, 23:33
So you like the XS sights? Will you buy them again?

XS insert on my Troy flip up, I was happy with it.

Yes happy with tritium only up front as I feel it is too bothersome on the rear, and my hand guns that do have tritium only do so on the front.

Thanks

hedp
07-16-11, 00:24
I have a Trijicon front sight. My only complaint is that it is a very small dot.

I really don't see the need for the rear sight to be tritium because if you use the same cheek weld every time, you should be very close if not dead on with just the front sight showing.

What Trijicon do you have?

C9X19
07-16-11, 00:42

If your eye is close to the rear sight as it should be, tritium won't accomplish anything.

SpaceWrangler
07-16-11, 11:24
If your eye is close to the rear sight as it should be, tritium won't accomplish anything.

Minute differences in cheek weld and other factors make a big difference in maintaining sight alignment. If you can't even see the rear aperture, how do you know your sights are aligned and you have proper point of aim?

You don't.

I have shot my AR in low light conditions, both with and without the tritium rear sight. I much prefer having the tritium rear for keeping proper sight alignment.

boomhower
07-16-11, 11:53
Practice with the sights in different conditions so you'll know your POA/POI before you need it in an emergency.

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I meant. Of course POA/POI is going to be different at different ranges and you need to be familiar with that. With the sights that have the tritium down on the post would seem to induce additional issues. If you use your site in the traditional lollipop style at night it's going to be off or your going to have to use Kentucky windage holdover.

That's why I went with a dot, it completely eliminates the issue. Maybe I am making a bigger deal of it than it would result in in real world use, but these things are to expensive for me to experiment with at $40-$80 a pop.

I also don't use tritium in the rear, just haven't tried it. There is one company that makes rear AR night sights that are dimmed down to around half brightness so you aren't blinded by them. i can't recall for the life of me who it is though as I've never been that interested in them.

Skyfire1201
07-16-11, 11:59
Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with just running the factory Troy tritium front sights?

SpaceWrangler
07-16-11, 12:00
I understood what you meant. The sights are different between night and day, you're going to have to practice with them to become proficient in low light.

I've read of people complaining about the rear vials being bright enough to mess their night vision, but the Meprolight rear tritium vials are quite dim... my night vision doesn't seem to be affected by them at all, but I can still see them well enough to 'align the green blurs'.

boomhower
07-16-11, 12:48
Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with just running the factory Troy tritium front sights?

Nothing, different strokes for different folks. I don't have a Troy front, do they use the same system for posts as a fixed front sight? If they are different there's your answer, they don't fit.

I understood what you meant. The sights are different between night and day, you're going to have to practice with them to become proficient in low light.

I've read of people complaining about the rear vials being bright enough to mess their night vision, but the Meprolight rear tritium vials are quite dim... my night vision doesn't seem to be affected by them at all, but I can still see them well enough to 'align the green blurs'.

Different strokes for different folks on the front.

I'll give rear night sights a shot one of these days, never had a chance to try them out.

Fobar
07-17-11, 16:25
What Trijicon do you have?

CP25. Looks just like this one: http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-cp25f-colt-green-front-sight-for-m16-ar15.html

tAKticool
07-17-11, 16:58
I'm interested in Tritium sights too, is it possible to use them with Magul MBUS or they maybe can't take the tritium post/ghost ring? thanks!

blake-b
07-17-11, 18:00
I'm interested in Tritium sights too, is it possible to use them with Magul MBUS or they maybe can't take the tritium post/ghost ring? thanks!

Yes, you can run a tritium insert in an MBUS.

CoryCop25
07-17-11, 18:09
If you co-witness the front sight with an RDS, I would not go with a front tritium sight. It confuses me anyway (that's easy though). If you use just irons, I would go with a small tritium dot so that you don't get "lost" in the sight, which means that you will unconsciously stare at the pretty glowing dot while you should be lining up on the threat and shooting.