PDA

View Full Version : 1st Trip to the Range With My New Glock 22

goodoleboy
07-15-11, 21:49
Well, as I mentioned earlier, I finally took the Glock plunge and purchased a Glock 22 RTF last week. Things have been pretty hectic around the house, so much so that I only got to the range with it this afternoon. Since I purchased it, I have practiced presentation drills to try and unlearn (somewhat unsuccessfully) 12 years of 1911 muscle memory so that when I drive the weapon on target, the ejection port won't be in the middle of my rear sight.

Despite all my 1911 hang-ups, I was utterly amazed at how accurate I could shoot my new pistol, first time out. Right out of the box, I was shooting about a 3" group at 15 yards, and my point of aim and point of impact were dead on. I think my first shot was in the 9 ring of a 3" shoot-n-c target.

I invited my father along (a hardcore 1911 man, who until today regarded Glocks as "cheap plastic junk") and by the time we left, he decided he would buy one just like it the next time he saw one at the gun shop.

Ultimately, I am amazed at the accuracy this pistol had out of the box, although I had to consciously keep my muzzle down on presentation and my shot-to-shot times were noticably slower. I didn't even bother with multiple targets this time out, since I am still trying to familiarize myself with a new platform. All things said, I couldn't be more pleased with my new pistol. I am confident that with more practice I can undo my 1911 muscle memory and become more instinctual with the Glock, thus improving my presentation and shot-to-shot times. I welcome any advice on how to undo previous muscle memory that you would be willing to offer.

RagweedZulu
07-16-11, 01:10
I shoot and carry both the G22 and a Kimber Custom II and I don't have to undo anything. They both present very well and shoot point of aim from the holster without any (conscious) adjustment. You can't go wrong with that G22. I'm with the family at the coast this weekend and with the cooler weather am once again able to conceal one under a light jacket. A G23 is with us too and a G27 went out to the beach and movies today under shorts and a light shirt. Enjoy, you picked a winner.

JHC
07-16-11, 06:24
They both present very well and shoot point of aim from the holster without any (conscious) adjustment. .

+1
As Matt E used to post so frequently it's about Glocks AND 1911s not 'or'.

The way the two platforms "naturally point" is one of the great non-issues of epic myth status. If you are picking up your muzzle and then your front sight on the way out your GTG.

goodoleboy
07-16-11, 09:47
Here's the target from the first mag and a few shots from the second mag. I was shooting at 15 yards and this represents the first shots out of the Glock. Looks like I'm just a hair left, so if I work on my trigger pull I should be able to remedy that.

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy346/mountainman069/DSCF1431.jpg

I was amazed with the accuracy of this pistol out of the box.

Hogsgunwild
07-16-11, 11:54
It's funny but I never knew there was an issue until sometime in the last 11 years. That is when when I bought my first computer and got online.

I bought my first Glock in 1991 and first my first 1911 in 1988.
To this day I go back and forth practicing with DA / SA revolvers,
SA 1911s, a SA H&K, my Glock and two LEM H&Ks. Although practicing with and carrying the same type of trigger and safety set-up regularly is smart, I think it is beneficial practicing with some of my more challenging-to-shoot guns such as my lightweight short barreled 1911s and my Glock 23 (which has always been challenging for me to be accurate with). The only POA/POI issue I deal with is that I have to keep track of the POA/POI difference between the different sight set-ups on each gun. I am slowly trying to transition all of my keeper pistols over to the same type of sights with a 25 yard "Center" or "Combat" POA/POI (not "Bullseye" or "Six-O-Clock"). Please correct me if my terminology for shooting / aiming at the center of the target is incorrect.

goodoleboy
07-16-11, 12:53
Just to clarify, I am not having an issue with POA/POI. My issue (and a very slight one at that) has been with the effects of a slightly different grip angle on presentation. Where my hands naturally want to go puts the muzzle of the Glock pistol slightly higher than on my 1911. POA/POI are near perfect.

RagweedZulu
07-16-11, 14:32
Quite a few people experience this shift of grip angle, because the is a different grip angle! An mentioned above, the problem doesn't exist if you draw or present your pistol and immediately go to sight alignment/sight picture. The only way it becomes a factor is if you are focusing on the plane of the slide and looking at where the muzzle is first pointed instead of at whether or not your sights are on your threat.