PDA

View Full Version : Cloning Ammo

Failure2Stop
10-25-07, 13:14
Looking for load data to replicate the following:

Mk 262 Mod 1
75gr TAP 5.56

I am not attempting to recreate the round, just parallel trajectory for training.

I think I am g2g on M855/M193, but if someone has something other than on the thread specifically addressing it, please let me know.

Tango Yankee

toddackerman
11-06-07, 08:22
A lot of folks are reluctant to recommend loads in case something goes Kaboom.

Give Hornady a call. They will discuss the TAP in detail with you, (they did with me a couple of years ago on their 75 Gn. Match load which is a little less pressure) and give you some starting points. Ask what the velocity is, and then you might have to Chrono it out of your weapon. Once you have the velocity dialed in, you're GTG.

It is rumored that Black Hills uses Ramshot TAC powder in their 75 Gn. loads...but this is not confirmed. Hornady suggested WW748 for my 75 gn. loads.

Tack

Failure2Stop
11-06-07, 09:12
Thanks Tack-

I kinda assumed as much, but others were sharing pretty freely on the M855/M193 thread.

I figured that this thread would fall off the page shortly, I got all tingly thinking someone had answers for me.

I think I am just going to use the recommendations by you and Keith Reifert on that thread. Seemed solid. Will do a proper work-up, chrono, and watch for signs of overpressure.

Thanks.

toddackerman
11-06-07, 12:16
Thanks Tack-

I kinda assumed as much, but others were sharing pretty freely on the M855/M193 thread.

I figured that this thread would fall off the page shortly, I got all tingly thinking someone had answers for me.

I think I am just going to use the recommendations by you and Keith Reifert on that thread. Seemed solid. Will do a proper work-up, chrono, and watch for signs of overpressure.

Thanks.

Sounds like a sound plan.

I checked my notes, and Hornady recommended to me that to duplicate the Factory 75 Gn. FMJBT "Match" load, use 24.0 gns. of WW748 with any quality commercial small rifle primer. I use Winchester primers. This load is a little softer than TAP, but I don't think the BG will notice. :)

Tack

Bigun
11-18-07, 01:33
I've had really good luck with Reloader 15 and Ramshot Tac with the heavies.

jmart
11-18-07, 12:51
Here's a link from NJ Highpower (select the Reloading Stuph link) (http://njhighpower.com/) which includes various Service Rifle loads. The A-Max's and Sierra 80's aren't relevant since those are loaded longer than mag length, but there's some Sierra 77 and Horn 75 BTHP load data that's designed to be loaded to mag length. Start a bit under and work up, but this should give you some recipes to play around with.

Rmplstlskn
11-18-07, 21:15
I too have been on an "equivalent point of aim" quest to match my MK262 Mod1 seconds.... Those real deal "seconds" are too expensive, so I try to clone them with cheap(er) reloads...

So far I have had good results with Accurate Arms 2520 powder and CCI #41 military primers. I don't have my grains number handy, but will look it up later...

One thing seems to be sure after several threads on TOS about this round, the powder in an MK262 Mod1 looks NOTHING LIKE the TAC powder, so don't get your hopes up. They bulk buy it anyways... so it is a custom blend.

Be careful... the powder needed to get to an MK262 point of impact is a HOT ROUND. Watch for overpressure signs... I also like the CCI military primers as they do not pierce easily (like Winchester primers do...).

Have fun!

Rmpl

Failure2Stop
11-19-07, 07:17
To everyone that chimed in, thank-you. I appreciate that you would share information that took you substantial time and/or effort to acquire.

Hopefully someone else out there benefits from this as well.

eternal24k
06-02-11, 08:01
Hate to resurrect this thread, but was hoping there might be some more information out there. This thread is relevant to my interests

Clemonsds
09-26-14, 20:37
I have had good results using IMR 8208 XBR powder, my results are an average 2,665 FPS out of an 18" SPR wilson combat barrel 1:7 twist using 23.1 grains, LC brass, and CCI#41 primers. Seating is at 1.866" to ogive using 77 grain SMK w/cannelure. Chronograph placed @ 5'. This powder is a short extruded type, also the factory new Black Hills (red box)69 grain OTM is short extruded powder coming in at 24.2 grains, 2012 WCC headstamp. CFE223, and varget don't even come close to the velocity i was looking for, Tac powder works well but changed with temprature, IMR 8208 xbr is not near as sensitive to temp changes like the other above mentioned that i have used.

AFshirt
09-27-14, 01:58
I have had good results using IMR 8208 XBR powder, my results are an average 2,671 FPS out of an 18" SPR wilson combat barrel 1:7 twist using 23.1 grains, LC brass, and CCI#41 primers. Seating is at 1.866" to ogive using 77 grain SMK w/cannelure. Chronograph placed @ 5'. This powder is a short extruded type, also the factory new Black Hills (red box)69 grain OTM is short extruded powder coming in at 24.2 grains, 2012 WCC headstamp. CFE223, and varget don't even come close to the velocity i was looking for, Tac powder works well but changed with temprature, IMR 8208 xbr is not near as sensitive to temp changes like the other above mentioned that i have used.

There is also some mk262like loads on here for 77g OTMs H322 and russian primers. I cant remember what I searched for to find it though.

markm
09-27-14, 09:07
This thread is ancient. :sarcastic:

The H322 loads aren't 5.56 velocity. That load is a 223 pressure, matchish load. 21.6 gr by the way.

Onyx Z
09-27-14, 11:24
I have had good results using IMR 8208 XBR powder, my results are an average 2,665 FPS out of an 18" SPR wilson combat barrel 1:7 twist using 23.1 grains, LC brass, and CCI#41 primers. Seating is at 1.866" to ogive using 77 grain SMK w/cannelure. Chronograph placed @ 5'. This powder is a short extruded type, also the factory new Black Hills (red box)69 grain OTM is short extruded powder coming in at 24.2 grains, 2012 WCC headstamp. CFE223, and varget don't even come close to the velocity i was looking for, Tac powder works well but changed with temprature, IMR 8208 xbr is not near as sensitive to temp changes like the other above mentioned that i have used.

I have had excellent results with XBR. I'm about .3-.4gr hotter, but consistently get .5moa groups.

Clemonsds
09-27-14, 12:19
23.4-23.5 grains xbr, is that a compressed load?

Onyx Z
09-27-14, 13:17
23.4-23.5 grains xbr, is that a compressed load?

The tail of the 77gr SMK touches the powder as it is fully seated, so no? If you know what you are doing, compressed charges are not all that bad.

Clemonsds
09-27-14, 22:49
i don't against compressing charges, just was trying my hand at getting the result without compressing the charge. I am not far, but most likely will have to.
Thanks for the info. sounds like i have been going down the right road but wanted more advice from someone with more knowledge and time than i have doing this.

Clemonsds
10-03-14, 19:47
I just received two new boxes (red box) of black hills 5.56 77 OTM (MK262 mod 1) and can't wait to shoot them.

I was surprised that my chosen seating depth for my hand loads was the exact same as theirs (1.869" to ogive) but the powder is a ball powder which I didn't expect at a weight of 25.6 grains. I have not shot them yet to see how they perform in my rifle, but soon enough I will and will come back to tell my results.

Clemonsds
10-12-14, 23:39
Okay everyone, went to the range today and shot a few strings of black hills ammo. 29 rounds of 77 OTM (mk262 mod 1) and ten rounds 69 grain OTM.

I think everyone here knows my rifle. Here is an image of my results string one and three are the BH77gr OTM and string two are BH69gr OTM. I know I did only 9 on the first string, had a guy in my ear and didn't count right. As expected the heat increased my average velocity on the third string to 2,723.75 FPS as compared to the first nine shots of the first string only averaging 2,691.99 FPS. Either way it seems my reloading is just about matching the velocity of black hills mk262 mod 1 out of my rifle.

Here are 10 of my hand loads using Sierra 77gr OTM with 23.1 grain 8208xbr 1.869" to ogive and #41 CCI primers cases trimmed to 1.750" and crimped. I do plan on upping my powder charge and changing primers.

Don't ask for the grouping size, it's nothing special when you have someone on the range shooting a 50BMG just a few lanes away from you. I know you're not supposed to take out flyers but if I take those out the group falls at .822" first string and 1.870 with the flyers. Third string no flyers is .634" with flyers 1.635". The first string had five flyers and the third string had four flyers. These two are results of the mk262 mod 1 from black hills. Take out my flinching when a 50BMG shoots next to me and these rounds are fantastic Also this shoots 1.5" high at 100 yards and also rings the 10" gong at 300 yards without adjusting scope elevation.