PDA

View Full Version : well i've done it, i got a smith 642.

skyugo
07-16-11, 15:56
to those guys thinking this is the end of my revolver threads, it's probably just the beginning :o

initial impressions:
-wow, light.
-love the lack of a big square slide sticking off the back.. makes it very comfy IWB, smart carry and in the pocket. my g26 and p7 always tended to poke me in the gut carried in a smart carry.
-nice fit and finish.
heavy, but learnable trigger. i'll probably be trying apex's parts. it's fairly smooth really, and i expect it to smooth out more with use, but a couple pounds reduction in pull weight would be welcome.
-not that terrible to shoot. I ran about 15 rounds of 135 grain PMC through it and 5 of the hornady critical defense +P 110 grainers. Not a long range session by any means, but i actually expected the recoil to be painful. it was definitely a pretty sharp recoil pulse, but totally manageable.
-decent grips... soft and grippy.
-seems to point pretty nicely.

so here's some pics!

http://i53.tinypic.com/2e3tjt3.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/33v0qyq.jpg

fixit69
07-16-11, 16:04
Nice smith. Have a few myself and love them.

Gojubrian
07-16-11, 16:08
Great gun for carry.

Gojubrian
07-16-11, 16:09
Great gun for carry IMO.

MSteele
07-16-11, 16:12
I have the crimson trace grips and it makes the 642 that much better, the grips are actually a perfect size. Also apex kit makes a big differnce for the money. A overall great buy....

skyugo
07-16-11, 16:13
yeah i'm gonna try to keep taking my g19 to school (legal here) and most other places.. but this should be nice for work and any other time i need something more lightweight and comfortable.
I really do understand the popularity of these little things too... price was decent as well.. 412 out the door. i probably could have paid a little less, but it was the only no-lock gun i could find locally.

Denali
07-16-11, 17:33
Nice little Smith, I own a pair of them myself...

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-16-11, 20:39
I'm a revolver noob but very interested. Can this be comfortably carried in a front pocket of jeans/shorts without someone realizing you are packing?

GrandPooba
07-16-11, 20:45
I'm a revolver noob but very interested. Can this be comfortably carried in a front pocket of jeans/shorts without someone realizing you are packing?

yes. The bulge of the cylinder helps break up the grip outline. When I carry my 642 in a pocket holster, it looks like a wallet & a lump from my keys.

Obviously your body geometry may vary, but this is how it works for me.

skyugo
07-16-11, 20:50

that's actually what drew me to the revolver platform. the lack of that square profile that automatics tend to have at the rear of the slide really helps break up the outline. this is often an area that automatics tend to rub IWB for me as well.
so really while the exterior dimensions are more or less identical to a glock 26, this gun is in fact far more concealable. I'd put it on par with a little 380. I'd also wager that reliability is a lot higher than any of the tiny 380's, and the 38 round hits a bit harder according to most people.

downsides of course are low capacity and slow reload. I got it to carry in low threat environments where comfort and concealability were a high priority.

just tossed it in my smart carry as a backup gun to my g19 (i think the first time in my life i've carried a backup gun...). barely know it's there.

not sure i'm gonna go full on "revolver guy" but i am definitely a j-frame guy. great package.

Frailer
07-16-11, 20:58
Excellent choice. The 642 is S&W's best-selling revolver for a reason.

Ironbutt
07-16-11, 21:14
The 642 is a great little CC gun. When my wife decided she wanted to start carrying, she picked the 642. She had me put a set of pink Hoague grips on it to deter me from using it.

Crow Hunter
07-16-11, 21:28
Quick request. If you have time.

Could you post the fully loaded weight of the 642 and the G26 (with standard 10 rd mag)?

I have a G26 and I sometimes slip it in my shorts pocket when taking a walk down the road. It is a little heavy and I have thought about getting a 642 or a 442 to see if it would be a little less weight in the pocket, but none of the published weights are as loaded.

Thanks

f.2
07-16-11, 21:38
good choice. grips can really make or break a j-frame's shooting experience. to some it's a wash, for if you want comfort, try the hogue bantams. they are one piece, slip on, and are a joy to shoot. in my experience, they do not interfere with pocket or ankle draw, but can aid / enhance it. i've tried stock uncle mike's, nice, expensive ebony secret service grips - beautiful - but a pain in the hand to shoot - they were off in seconds. for ankle carry, the metal screw parts in the grip and the screw would rust during long ankle summer carry. the hogues don't use a screw - fit snuggly and securely. win win.

Hogue Bantam Grips (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=842242), midwayusa.com/

SWATcop556
07-16-11, 22:14
My 442 gets carried when I need deep concealment and don't wear a cover garment. I wear pants and polo shirts to mass every Sunday and more often than not my wife has me shave and tuck my shirt in so it's great for those occasion. It's also a great BUG when I'm packing a Glock. The CT grips are a must and I'm looking forward to the APEX parts going in mine.

Good buy.

RagweedZulu
07-16-11, 22:25
I wear my 642 on the right side of my soft body armor while on duty. It conceals completely and is accessible with my left hand in the event I'm fighting to hold onto my duty pistol with my right hand in a gun grab type scenario.

I've also carried it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster in a light pair of shorts under a t-shirt. Nobody could tell and it's kinda cool to have your hand on it in a full firing grip while hidden in your pocket (standing at the ATM etc.). Good choice Skyugo.

Black Jeep
07-16-11, 22:30
My dad has the 642 and I was checking it out last time I was down visiting him. I was impressed with it. They are great guns; you'll like it. I'd like to get one pretty soon.

SeriousStudent
07-16-11, 22:47
I will strongly second Msteele's and SWATcop556's posts. A Crimson Trace laser grip and an Apex Tactical trigger kit is more than worth the cost. It turns a "well, at least I got something" into a fighting chance.

I really, really like the Apex trigger on mine. Apex Tactical has some YouTube posts by Scott Folk (Flork) that eliminate the WECSOG aspects of installing the kit.

$412 out the door for a no-lock 642 is a good deal.

Now get some Safariland Comp I speedloaders and practice reloading with either hand. But make sure you use dummy cartridges, first.

titsonritz
07-17-11, 00:02
downsides of course are low capacity and slow reload. I got it to carry in low threat environments where comfort and concealability were a high priority.

Now get some Safariland Comp I speedloaders and practice reloading with either hand. But make sure you use dummy cartridges, first.

The best/fastest reload with a j-frame is the NY reload (guess you just need to get another one)

Sweet unit.

LHS
07-17-11, 00:56
Another vote for the CT LG-405 grips. Best accessory ever made for the little snubbies.

The most important thing is to PRACTICE. J-frames are difficult to shoot until you really work with them. You can train through a lot of the issues, but it's not as intuitive as a Glock or even a K-frame. Small trigger control issues get magnified with the little guns.

I've been running mine in a Tuff Products pocket holster, which carries a Tuff 5-round speed strip as well. Great backup gun for my primary, and as someone earlier mentioned, it is very nice to be able to have your hand casually in your pants pocket with a full grip on the weapon. 5 shots with a slow reload isn't great, but it's better than nothing. If nothing else, it can ruin someone's day long enough to get to your primary or get away.

skyugo
07-17-11, 03:14
Quick request. If you have time.

Could you post the fully loaded weight of the 642 and the G26 (with standard 10 rd mag)?

I have a G26 and I sometimes slip it in my shorts pocket when taking a walk down the road. It is a little heavy and I have thought about getting a 642 or a 442 to see if it would be a little less weight in the pocket, but none of the published weights are as loaded.

Thanks

actually sold my 26... but...
glock says g26 is 26.10 ounces loaded.
empty weight of a 642 is 15 oz. I'd wager that 5 rounds of 38 is under 2 oz. so let's say 17 oz loaded.
In my experience with both guns the 642 is much lighter. the g26 is quite a bit easier to shoot and has a formidable capacity combined with 9mm's improved wounding ability.
if you haven't already got a CCW'able automatic, get a 26. the smith fills in that gap for when you dont' "need" a gun or "can't" have a gun.

SeriousStudent
07-17-11, 13:03
The best/fastest reload with a j-frame is the NY reload ........

Agreed, a second weapon is almost always faster. And I do own a pair of J-frames.

But if I am wearing clothing that will support a pair of J-frames, I've always found that I can carry a G19 and spare mag, then the 642 as a BUG. So I have never found myself carrying two J-frames. Your mileage may vary.

I've thought about it a lot in the past. But it always seems to end up with the above scenario.

But the little five-shooters are addictive, I'll definitely admit to it! :D

OP: Sorry for the threadjack. And the LG-405 model is my fave as well.

skyugo
07-17-11, 17:45
just put 135 rounds through it.. definitely rattles the hands a bit more than a 9mm auto, but lots of fun. sweet muzzle flash too!

i'm going to need a pocket holster. drawing from a pocket without a holster is difficult.

SeriousStudent
07-17-11, 19:01
A couple of pocket holsters that I have tried with success are from Mika and RKBA. The wait time on a Mika can be a bit longer than some people like. But his holsters work very well.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

http://www.rkbaholsters.com/

The Desantis Nemesis also works for me, but it is a bit larger than the other two. It works well in a cargo pocket.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-GUN-MANUFACTURER/SW/J-332-340-342-442-640-640-1-642-2-14/POCKET-HOLSTERS/The-Nemesis

LHS
07-17-11, 19:43
just put 135 rounds through it.. definitely rattles the hands a bit more than a 9mm auto, but lots of fun. sweet muzzle flash too!

i'm going to need a pocket holster. drawing from a pocket without a holster is difficult.

I started with one of the el-cheapo Uncle Mike's pocket holsters. It worked well enough, but never quite to the point I was truly happy. Then I picked up one of these:

https://www.tuffproducts.com/product.php?productid=16252&cat=268&page=1

Great piece of kit. It holds the J-frame and a 5-shot speed strip without any movement. It does require roomy front pockets, though. My Woolrich Elite pants work great, the LA Police Gears are too tight.

Hizzie
07-17-11, 23:20
Very good sir. I suggest the Uncle Mikes pocket holster for pocket carry. Outstanding value.

Now that you own a snubby it is time to get the instruction manual. The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovette

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-17-11, 23:29
I was about to buy an Hk45C, but I really, really want one of these now. You guys suck.

fixit69
07-18-11, 00:42
But they are great! I love my old airweights. Solid carry weapons.

skyugo
07-18-11, 01:39
I was about to buy an Hk45C, but I really, really want one of these now. You guys suck.

the hk45c has been on my "want but will probably never buy" list for quite awhile...
you've already got a glock 19 right?
time for a snubby. :cool:

rathos
07-18-11, 01:55
This was right on. My g26 was loaded with 124 grain bullets, my 642 with 135 grain short barrels.

I carry the smith on my ankle for work mostly. I occasionally carry the g26 but it feels like a brick on my ankle. It works a lot better for CCW when off the clock.

actually sold my 26... but...
glock says g26 is 26.10 ounces loaded.
empty weight of a 642 is 15 oz. I'd wager that 5 rounds of 38 is under 2 oz. so let's say 17 oz loaded.
In my experience with both guns the 642 is much lighter. the g26 is quite a bit easier to shoot and has a formidable capacity combined with 9mm's improved wounding ability.
if you haven't already got a CCW'able automatic, get a 26. the smith fills in that gap for when you dont' "need" a gun or "can't" have a gun.

fixit69
07-18-11, 11:59
Have a question. My airweights are late 70's early eighties. Does Amy one have the new 642 and the older models. I would
Like to know the weight difference and if any one perfers the new model to the old one or old to new, and if so why?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-18-11, 14:42
the hk45c has been on my "want but will probably never buy" list for quite awhile...
you've already got a glock 19 right?
time for a snubby. :cool:

Ive got a 19 and 26, but there are just those days that wearing a holster and a bigger gun just doesnt work. Thats why I think this is a great niche gun. My Grandpa carried a Colt Detective Special in 38 for nearly 20 years as an LEO, and he put plenty of nasties into boxes with it. The .38 spc should do just fine.

skyugo
07-18-11, 23:17
Have a question. My airweights are late 70's early eighties. Does Amy one have the new 642 and the older models. I would
Like to know the weight difference and if any one perfers the new model to the old one or old to new, and if so why?

I basically looked for a new smith with no lock. In the last couple years smith has impressed me with their quality, products, and customer service. They ditched a lot of the clinton era nonsense, so i wanted to buy one of their guns new to vote with my dollars so to speak. As far as i can tell the new j-frames are on par with pretty much anything they've ever made. I guess some of the parts are MIM inside, but i don't personally see this as a deal killer.

don't let any gun counter guy tell you the no-lock guns were a limited run, they're readily available.

skyugo
07-18-11, 23:19
Ive got a 19 and 26, but there are just those days that wearing a holster and a bigger gun just doesnt work. Thats why I think this is a great niche gun. My Grandpa carried a Colt Detective Special in 38 for nearly 20 years as an LEO, and he put plenty of nasties into boxes with it. The .38 spc should do just fine.

the HK45c is glock 19 sized...unless you're a 45 "true believer" it doesn't fill a niche. the little J-frame is much easier to carry than a g26. ~10 ounces lighter! I think you'll be quite pleased.

Spahr0311B
07-19-11, 03:53
The first gun that I ever purchased was a 442 (back up for duty carry G22). I carried it in the left side of my soft armor, accesible through my button up shirt with my right hand.

I latter sold it (mistake) for a Glock 27 which I carried on my left ankle as a BUG. I latter sold that after an extended foot chase because I almost split a hamstring due to the weight that far down. (still caught the perp, he tripped up when his pants fell off due to them being 8 sizes too large)

Now I am back to a 642 but I carry it in my left cargo pocket (5.11 TDU pants, fits nicely into the built in mag pocket) on duty.

If I am wearing it as a backup off duty (while wearing long pants) it is on the inside of my right ankle in a right handed holster (which puts the pistol grip forward). Easily accesible with either right or left hand.

My reason for switching to a left hand accessable BUG is pretty simple. In a gun grab situation, my right hand will be occupied holding the G22 down into the holster. My left hand can grab the BUG from my cargo pocket to deal with the situation. (also, I carry a SOG-TAC auto folder clipped in my left hip pocket for the same scenario).

I love these little guns. I installed the APEX kit in mine, which I consider to be an improvement. Hope that you are as satisfied with your purchase as I am.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-19-11, 23:57
Took the wife to the range today to try out a 642. Unfortunately both the 442 and 642's were out, so I rented a 340PD and some 38SPC loads for us. She by far out shot me, which is weird because she doesnt really like guns. But, she said she would be more than comfortable carrying one of those in her purse. Wow, never thought I would hear that. Guess its time to buy TWO SW642's.

BTW, the 340PD was just a little too light to shoot the 38's comfortably, I cant imagine the .357's in it.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-20-11, 17:23
I HATE CA. The cheapest price I can find for one of these badboys is $500 OTD. MSRP or higher in most gun stores, plus the 7.75% tax and $35 DROS fee. MMM MMM that smells like robbery.

Either way, Ive got one on its to my local FUD Shop.

ewenit
07-20-11, 17:57
Congrats on the no lock model. Had to remove that god forsaken thing on my M&P 340. I know my J Frame is rarely out of my pocket when in civilians and I'm sure it will be the same for you with yours.

Good buy! :)

brushy bill
07-20-11, 18:49
Plus one on the Mika. Good pocket holster at a great price. Prefer mine to others in similar price range (Simply Rugged, Safariland). More comfortable, stays in the pocket and doesn't follow the gun on the draw.

CLHC
07-20-11, 19:07
Nice pull on said S&W revolver! Grant's got this snubbie listed on his online shop too!

Six Feet Under
07-20-11, 22:32
I love mine. The speed strips make it easy to reload, although not as easy as simply inserting a fresh magazine.

It gets carried more now when I'm wearing less clothing simply due to the fact that the last few weeks have been 100+ it seems like and wearing the heavier t-shirts I normally do to help cover up my G19 is killing me temp-wise.

The 642 also takes the cake for carry while wearing dress clothes, as well as trip carry in states where my CWP is valid, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of possibly printing and having somebody freak out and call 911. Once I lose a little more weight, it will be easier for me to carry the 19 almost all of the time and in any situation.

RagweedZulu
07-21-11, 00:17
I HATE CA. The cheapest price I can find for one of these badboys is $500 OTD. MSRP or higher in most gun stores, plus the 7.75% tax and $35 DROS fee. MMM MMM that smells like robbery.

I picked up mine for $400 in Fresno but that's been a few years. At the time Smith was cranking them out left and right along with the 637. I tried the 637 as an ankle carry backup while on duty, but soon saw the problems with the hammer snagging. Sold it for the 642 and never looked back. It's a great little pocket rocket for the hottest days.

On most occasions though, my G27 goes with me for the increased firepower and readily available reloads. That 642 has been on my vest EVERY single day at work for the last 7-8 years. It's showing some nice wear marks. My mom recently asked for it as a CCW gun but I couldnt bear to part with it. Bought her a Ruger LC9 instead.

4x4twenty6
07-21-11, 17:42
had a glock 26 and find the smith 642 much easier to conceal.
as far as shooting they are two different animals but the idea of concealed carry weapon like a 642 is not to put rounds far down range but for up close.

conceals well from the ankle on up.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-21-11, 18:02
Nice pull on said S&W revolver! Grant's got this snubbie listed on his online shop too!

I actually talked to Grant just after I placed the order. He offered me a 642 No Lock at a killer price, but unfortunately, in CA most dealers charge upwards of $75 to do a transfer, plus 7.75% sales tax. If I were back in CO, then Grant's deal would have been the absolute best pricing, but these damn money hungry FFL's out here make life hard.

On the upside, I was able to find a local FFL operating out of basement with a New No Lock 642 for $419 OTD.

skyugo
07-21-11, 18:52

ah bummer.
i'd say it's still worth 500.. hell of a bargain at ~400 though. :o

skyugo
07-21-11, 18:54
had a glock 26 and find the smith 642 much easier to conceal.
as far as shooting they are two different animals but the idea of concealed carry weapon like a 642 is not to put rounds far down range but for up close.

conceals well from the ankle on up.

yeah.. beats teh crap out of a sharp stick.
i was always really slow on the draw with my g26 compared to the 19.. and really i can hide a 19 almost as well.
the smith is soo much more comfortable than a g26... the light weight makes you forget it's there.

RagweedZulu
07-21-11, 19:26
But you've gotta train with these little bastards though. Get it up tight into the hand, with the ledge on that humpback tight into the web of your firing hand. It makes the little snub fairly controllable at reasonable distances. I figure if I can make solid A zone hits at 25 yards, it's all I'll ever need this gun for. Everyone should own a snubby!

sgtjosh
07-21-11, 19:57
[QUOTE=skyugo;1049188]to those guys thinking this is the end of my revolver threads, it's probably just the beginning :o

initial impressions:
-wow, light.
-love the lack of a big square slide sticking off the back.. makes it very comfy IWB, smart carry and in the pocket. my g26 and p7 always tended to poke me in the gut carried in a smart carry.
-nice fit and finish.
heavy, but learnable trigger. i'll probably be trying apex's parts. it's fairly smooth really, and i expect it to smooth out more with use, but a couple pounds reduction in pull weight would be welcome.
-not that terrible to shoot. I ran about 15 rounds of 135 grain PMC through it and 5 of the hornady critical defense +P 110 grainers. Not a long range session by any means, but i actually expected the recoil to be painful. it was definitely a pretty sharp recoil pulse, but totally manageable.

Back in college I had a M640. I learned a trick where I gripped the gun really high on the back-strap. This helped reduce muzzle flip. It also made it so my sights aligned instinctively when I locked my wrist forward. I miss that gun...had to finance my last semester.

skyugo
07-22-11, 00:06
yeah if you get your hand up high it actually has a stunningly low bore axis. I've been dryfiring the crap out of it. still gotta get set up for reloading 38... prices on 38 ammo are exhorbitant.. cheapest i've gotten so far was 16.50 a box :suicide2:
should be able to load it myself at least as cheap as 9mm though :cool:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-22-11, 00:09
Noob questions incoming....

Will dry firing w/out snap caps hurt my 642?

Will +P ammo degrade the life of the 642 faster than SPC's?

Skang
07-22-11, 01:25
I heard it's bad to dry fire on revolvers and rim fire rifles.

It's designed for +P round.

Recently I was looking at 642 for carry too. :D

Will stop by gun shop to feel the grip.

EDIT: why is no-internal lock model $100 more than normal one?:confused:

Limey-
07-22-11, 02:33
Dry firing it will not harm it. +P ammo is just fine in a modern J Frame. I carry a J-Frame , currently a 342 as a BU on Duty and am seldomn without it.

Hizzie
07-22-11, 11:39
Will dry firing w/out snap caps hurt my 642? No, but using snap caps/dummy rounds are great for reloading drills. Reloading should be practiced as much as dry firing. Remeber only 5 shots.

Will +P ammo degrade the life of the 642 faster than SPC's? Yes. How much will depend on how hot the +P ammo is, how many rounds fired, how often fired. I would not shoot +P as the ONLY type of ammo used. WWB 130gr FMJ's for the majority of practice session and a few cylinder fulls of +P at the end is fine. You should always inspect your firearms when cleaning to check for excessinve wear/damage anyway.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-08-11, 23:45
Well, because of this thread and this thread alone, I now have a 642 :no: I was able to snag it for $416 new, and then got the $50 SW .mil rebate, so I really walked out with a new, no-lock 642 for around $370....in CA. Im proud of myself haha.

Ive been wanting a pocket gun but really didnt want to buy a Ruger and really didnt want to step down to 380. This fills that role fairly well, but it takes a deep pocket and normal/loose fitting pants or else you will print. Im really thinking about carrying this AIWB as it seems to be the optimal shape for such a method. Ive shot 642's before, but wont get to shoot mine for another week or two.

I will say, its not SW686 quality, but its still pretty nice, esp. considering how much I paid for it. When I get back from my last deployment next year, Im going to give this to my wife and buy myself a 340PD.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/Guns%20and%20Gear/DSC01672.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/Guns%20and%20Gear/DSC01678.jpg

GrandPooba
08-09-11, 18:58
get the apex kit. My trigger is so much better now that I have it in

SeriousStudent
08-09-11, 20:49
Agreed. The Apex trigger kit for the J-frame is a great deal for $25.

skyugo
08-10-11, 00:22
cool man.. dryfire the crap out of it, the trigger gets better. :D

really does beat the crap out of all those little 380 things that are so hot right now.
it's kind of a fun little thing to shoot too...

Drew78
08-10-11, 06:56
I too found the joy and utility of the snubby about on year ago. My search was mostly necessitated by the fact that in the warm months I have to tuck in my shirt for work and dont wear a sport coat due to the heat. I carry a Glock 26 tucked in with v-clips but holy crap is THAT a slow draw...

So I initially went the .380 route with a LCP. Fine little weapon, but there is just something I dont trust about micro guns and the caliber. Still have it, she's just riding the pine in the safe.

Next up was a Ruger LCR. BINGO! 24/7 gun, like others have said, fun to shoot, accurate and easy to carry. So it rides in my pocket and becomes my primary when I am all pinned in by my wardrobe.

CTC laser and speed strips and ready to go.

Good choice on the snubby!

-Drew

4x4twenty6
08-10-11, 13:30
I have the same smith 642. I love it.
I had a glock 26 and it shot great. i wouldnt mind getting another but for summer months i can throw that little smith in my back pocket or front pocket with no issue.
I am not a very big guy but with wide shoulders and small waist i can also conceal weapons on my waist very easily.

Of course i know the limitation of only having 5 shots but i find that the easier and less conspicuous carry of this revolver is more for me especially in the summer months.

When it was cold i would sometimes carry my fullsize PX4.

I really want to give the 642 to my wife to carry but she is beyond busy with work to even think about that right now.

jamaicanj
08-12-11, 08:04
Congrats on your no-lock 642.

All the best

J

Dachs
08-15-11, 21:29
I own a 642 and I love it!

Right now, I usually carry my duty weapon as I'm not as concerned about concealment, but the 642 was what I CC'd before my LE job and it continues to impress. I keep it in my night stand next to my bed and sometimes I'll throw it in the glove box. You can't beat the concealability, weight, and reliability.

ColdDeadHands
08-24-11, 17:19
to those guys thinking this is the end of my revolver threads, it's probably just the beginning :o

initial impressions:
-wow, light.
-nice fit and finish.

Me too! I love mine - so small and light!

sinjinhawk
08-25-11, 22:25
I have one of these and 342 PD airlite for my CCW and just loved carrying them all the time. Sometimes ago I posted a reply on this forum a question on which is the best CCW carry gun and when I posted J frame most member who read laugh at my choice and one even wrote that my opinion is the worst that they ever read.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-25-11, 22:27
I have one of these and 342 PD airlite for my CCW and just loved carrying them all the time. Sometimes ago I posted a reply on this forum a question on which is the best CCW carry gun and when I posted J frame most member who read laugh at my choice and one even wrote that my opinion is the worst that they ever read.

My whole life Ive seen J frames regarded as great carry guns. Sometimes guys get too caught up in black tactical guns, but to me the J fills quite a nice niche. Not the best, but fills a spot that my G26 and 19 cant.

Frailer
08-25-11, 22:53

Anyone who laughs at a J frame for concealed carry hasn't got a clue or spends too much time on the Internet.

But I repeat myself.

skyugo
08-25-11, 23:56
My whole life Ive seen J frames regarded as great carry guns. Sometimes guys get too caught up in black tactical guns, but to me the J fills quite a nice niche. Not the best, but fills a spot that my G26 and 19 cant.

i had long justified going with a glock 26 over a j-frame, but the j-frame despite being more or less the same external dimensions as the g26 simply goes places that a g26 cannot. half the weight, thinner everywhere but the cylinder. the j-frame is certainly fine for that "fbi average" of 21 feet and 3 shots. it beats a sharp stick otherwise.

ooh.. got a little range report for this thread. I picked up 150 rounds of HSM 158 grain semi-wadcutter ammo this weekend (11.35 a box, couldn't turn it down!) . Managed to fire ~120. next day couldn't figure out why my palm hurt :D DA revolvers are lots of fun to dryfire, which definitely kept me on target. I think i'm still learning the sights a bit. haven't quite mastered a draw from my desantis nemisis pocket holster. hard to drive my hand high onto the gun like i would with a standard IWB holster.

definitely loving this as a small deeply concealable carry gun though, i can forget i have it on me sometimes.

sinjinhawk
08-26-11, 13:47
In the past I have carried both G19 & 26 for my CCW. The problem for me is that they are bulky heavy and always require special holster to consealed not to mention change mags every 90 days, on the other hand my J frame can just be drop in my front side pocket and require practically no maintenance whatsoever. The key element to a CCW piece is that you have it at your disposal when you need it and again personally can't do that with a piece that is bulky and heavy.

skyugo
08-26-11, 20:10
In the past I have carried both G19 & 26 for my CCW. The problem for me is that they are bulky heavy and always require special holster to consealed not to mention change mags every 90 days, on the other hand my J frame can just be drop in my front side pocket and require practically no maintenance whatsoever. The key element to a CCW piece is that you have it at your disposal when you need it and again personally can't do that with a piece that is bulky and heavy.

change mags every 90 days? think you're mistaken there..

agreed about them being quite a bit heavier and bulkier though.

jamaicanj
09-03-11, 09:40

Why are you changing mags every 90 days?

sinjinhawk
09-03-11, 11:23
When I say change mag every 90 days, I meant to replaced the mag that is inserted in the pistol not buy a new one , just want to be clear.

skyugo
09-03-11, 11:59
When I say change mag every 90 days, I meant to replaced the mag that is inserted in the pistol not buy a new one , just want to be clear.

why? i clean the ammo periodically if i carry the gun, but the mag doesn't magically develop problems just from sitting there.

Nephrology
09-03-11, 12:44
Agreed... mags should be swapped out based on round count, not time sitting in the pistol.

I think that a J-frame and a good Glock will be about comparable in reliability. maintenance will be different and their failure points will be different but both will run like tops with minimal babysitting.

dsg2003gt
09-03-11, 23:03
I actually talked to Grant just after I placed the order. He offered me a 642 No Lock at a killer price, but unfortunately, in CA most dealers charge upwards of $75 to do a transfer, plus 7.75% sales tax. If I were back in CO, then Grant's deal would have been the absolute best pricing, but these damn money hungry FFL's out here make life hard.

On the upside, I was able to find a local FFL operating out of basement with a New No Lock 642 for $419 OTD.

Thanks for the reminder. I mentioned the 642 to my dad and he bought from grants website. He just wished Grant had the 642CT model.

MeanStreaker
09-08-11, 18:59
I love my 642 with CT laser grips. It's in my pocket whenever I'm wearing pockets. Usually when leaving the house, that means it's a BUG behind the XD45.

Love it so much, I bought the same setup for my Dad as a congrats when he got his CCW license.