PDA

View Full Version : What next???

OIPactual
07-16-11, 16:18
hey guys, sorry if this isn't the place for my question. i have a DDM4V5 and have been given the green light for another rifle from the wife :eek:. so my question is what rifle should i look at? i like ar's (favorite gun), but i have a really nice one already, and think i might want to look into something different; or if it is an ar, put one together for a different type of shooting (my current setup is mainly for HD, SHTF, and classes). i have the money for a class as well, and already have a metric shit ton of 5.56 in my gun room. i would like it to take m4/m16 style mags (shit ton of those as well) but its not absolutely necessary. i am looking for USER EXPERIENCE, not opinion so much, but they are welcome as long as they are unbiased and respectful.

thanks in advance and sorry for rambling.

i have roughly 1000-1500 for the rifle, and i would want it to be capable of a SHTF scenario, just in case.

i also work in a store so my figures are in dealer cost.

Eric D.
07-16-11, 16:28
How about a DMR or perhaps an SBR?

aaron_c
07-16-11, 16:32
I was going to say a DMR/recce/Afghan type build as well. The FS 2000 also takes AR mags and those things look sweet, but I've never shot one (although it's trigger is probably not very good, since it's a bullpup).

duece71
07-16-11, 16:35
Ammo for the gun you have. A RDS if you don't already have one. Magazines.......How many do you have??? I would shoot the AR I already have (I have a DDM4V5 btw) and then see how I felt after that. Take the class with your DDM4V5. If I wanted another AR in your price range......BCM, Colt would be my choices. You might be able to find a basic LMT as well (non piston).

Norseman
07-16-11, 16:38
Went through this a couple years back also and ultimately ended up with another AR for the wife (at least that is what she thinks). My thought process after looking at all the options that take the standard AR mags was "why not just another M4", that way not only was there parts compatibility but the manual of arms is the same and I would have a good back-up gun for classes etc if my Noveske ever decided to take a dive on me.

fixit69
07-16-11, 16:42
Build one. The best advise I ever got, and I'll pass it along to you. Get a piece of paper, and research the hell out of it. Oh, these guys have an idea or two to help you out.

OIPactual
07-16-11, 16:54
How about a DMR or perhaps an SBR?

michigan, sbr is a pain in the dick:suicide2:

OIPactual
07-16-11, 16:58
Ammo for the gun you have. A RDS if you don't already have one. Magazines.......How many do you have??? I would shoot the AR I already have (I have a DDM4V5 btw) and then see how I felt after that. Take the class with your DDM4V5. If I wanted another AR in your price range......BCM, Colt would be my choices. You might be able to find a basic LMT as well (non piston).

have ammo, and about 25 mags (mostly 30 rounders, and a few 20's). dont want to waste a permission slip for a gun :smile:. i was looking at the BCM stainless upper the other day, really liked it.

also have a triji on the DDM4V5 already.

OIPactual
07-16-11, 17:01
Went through this a couple years back also and ultimately ended up with another AR for the wife (at least that is what she thinks). My thought process after looking at all the options that take the standard AR mags was "why not just another M4", that way not only was there parts compatibility but the manual of arms is the same and I would have a good back-up gun for classes etc if my Noveske ever decided to take a dive on me.

that is more than likely what will happen, but there is a small part of me that wants to have something different...:rolleyes:.

OIPactual
07-16-11, 17:05
Build one. The best advise I ever got, and I'll pass it along to you. Get a piece of paper, and research the hell out of it. Oh, these guys have an idea or two to help you out.

i thought of that too, but for the price i can get guns for it makes more sense to buy a factory gun then add what i want. trust me M4C had a lot to do with my choice of gun, and i ended up with a DD. im sure whatever i end up with will be because of this forum.

fixit69
07-16-11, 17:14
The reason I suggested it to you is that if you haven't done it before, it gives you great insight on how an ar/m4 does what it does. But, they have great guns already assembled at various companies, so if you dont have time go that way, if you have time you won't regret it. Good luck either way.

Guns-up.50
07-16-11, 17:32
I feel you pain on the sbrs for i am also a res the the great state of MI. Its always good to have a back-up just in case. scars are nice rifles very light and smooth shooting same ammo +. Im not sure what you safe contains but a tac shotgun might be a nice addition to the fam or maybe look into a custom pistol. I would say look at long range rifles but where i am there isnt a real place to shoot them unless you own land to really reach out there.

brzusa.1911
07-16-11, 17:50
How about another DDM4V5 setup with different optics, if your HD goes down you already have a similar one to take over.

Caeser25
07-16-11, 18:10
A kiss backup. CDNN has 6720s for $799 or $899 (I can't remember).

-tools
-spare parts
-good sling
-white light
-a second 6720 for the wife and a .22 conversion :confused: she might let you stretch it a bit if she's getting something out of it :lol:

duece71
07-16-11, 18:20
Ok, maybe a recce upper by BCM and a lower by DD, LMT...etc....

TonyTacoma
07-16-11, 19:12
Civil war cannon

jhs1969
07-16-11, 19:40
A kiss backup. CDNN has 6720s for $799 or $899 (I can't remember).

-tools
-spare parts
-good sling
-white light
-a second 6720 for the wife and a .22 conversion :confused: she might let you stretch it a bit if she's getting something out of it :lol:

Good points here. You mentioned SD/HD, are you commited to the AR for said use? If so I would recommend a "back up" AR to start. I'm of course assuming your AR is set up for defensive purposes. I use a 6920 for defensive use, set up with RDS, light etc. I just finished with a BCM M4, it will be back up to the Colt until I have such time and money to get it set up as well.

I have a full set of quality replacement parts, however if an irrepairable incicent strikes the Colt then I can simply switch the kit over to the BCM and be ready to roll again.

I've been down the road of exploring different designs several times, there is nothing wrong with it and I enjoyed the education I got from it. I would just suggest getting a solid base in you chosen defensive system first. IMO.

Good luck

piperpilot3tk
07-16-11, 20:42
I would probably just get another DD carbine, but you could also get a nice lower and an AAC 300 BLK, or AA 6.5 Grendel upper if you want to be different.

OIPactual
07-17-11, 16:17
thanks for the replies, i am really thinking another ar would be the best choice, but probably a BCM just to be different from what i have. i also like the look of the stainless uppers. any experience with those?