PDA

View Full Version : Vltor CASV-S question

Mikesull415
07-16-11, 19:55
Just wondering if anybody is running this rail. I searched and couldn't find but a couple threads about it. I'm considering using it on my general purpose/only AR that I'm building an was wondering if anybody had any experience with it before I dropped the cash.*

kmrtnsn
07-16-11, 21:36
I am running the CASV-M on two rifles, what is your question?

mvician
07-16-11, 21:47
Have the CASV-EL on one of my M4's
adds about 1 pound to the rifle, the EL limits you choice of optics if you want to co-witness.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/AR/Vltor003-1.jpg

Mikesull415
07-16-11, 21:56
I am running the CASV-M on two rifles, what is your question?

Mainly just how to you like it? How sturdy/stable is it? How's the weight? I'm looking at the stepped version to do a co-witness type set up without having to use a riser on the optic

andy t
07-16-11, 23:26
I had CASV-MT and sold it.
Pros:
Unique look (esp. in Tan) - the main reason I bought it.
FF rail with no modification to the upper.
High quality.
Cons:
Need to get rail specific mounts.
Heavy - ~1lb.
Wide - but that is subjective
Gets too hot to handle without a glove after about three magazine of aimed fire.

Overall I think it's a good rail that's past it's time. Unless you have a specific requirement or want to be different, get something else.
I replaced it with MOE midlength and couldn't be happier. The rifle handles much better and is lighter as well as more comfortable to grip.

kmrtnsn
07-16-11, 23:46
I don't have FSB's on either of mine, I run the Vltor CASV front sight with a Troy BUIS in the rear with a Aimpoint Micro on a ADM CASV QD riser on one and a 1-4X on the other. Co-witness isn't anything I give a crap about. I like the flexibly of placing rails where I want them that I get with the CASV along with the continuous uninterrupted top rail. I shoot wearing gloves and have never had an issue with it getting so hot that I can't hold on to the rail. The ability to remove the lower half of the rail system without tools is a major plus for cleaning or PM.

chadbag
07-17-11, 00:02
I have the CASV-MG on a 458 SOCOM with Aimpoint COMP M3 using a GG&G ring (which is a shorter Aimpoint ring, normally you need a short riser for it anyway) so it co-witnesses well.

I am amazed at how LIGHT the thing is, not how HEAVY it is. All together it is about 14.3 oz according to the vltor website (both the -S and -M models). That is DD Lite Rail class weight and a lot lighter than many rails.

Since mine was a new build, I don't have a delta ring etc to worry about weight wise, just a barrel nut.

I like it for what I am using it for. And btw, I use the -M model with the special front sight they make for it so I don't have to worry about the -S and it works fine with normal rear sights.

Mikesull415
07-17-11, 11:01
--------------------

Mikesull415
07-17-11, 21:34
The fact that it's a free float rail that doesn't require me to take off my fsb to install it is one of the things I liked about it. My upper is a bcm standard 16" middy with the fsb and I really don't want to have to deal with taking it on and off. I don't know why but I just really like the way these guns look with a flip up rear sight and the standard front