PDA

View Full Version : Light for HK USP

St.Michael
07-16-11, 22:26
Hey guys. Title says it. I am looking to slap a light onto my 9mm full sized HKusp. I know nothing really about handgun lights. Just figured I would grab one for things like camping and such and possibly HD. So any direction would be nice. Thanks

ALCOAR
07-16-11, 23:33

warpigM-4
07-17-11, 01:51
I have been eyeballing that light for a while:D

Cosmo M3
07-17-11, 07:15
+1 for the HK UTL

glockshooter
07-17-11, 10:36
Okay I will tell you the truth about the UTL. It sucks compared to todays technology. It is a 15 year old design. It is only 60 lumens and costs as much as a X300. The light is plastic and the controls have been prone to breaking.

I am on the swat team on my department, and I am issued a UTL for my duty weapon. So I am speaking from experience of using the light in the real world. I would not use the light if I had a choice. It was great when it first came out and it competition was the ITI M3, but now its not even in the ballpark with current lights.

Matt

krm375
07-17-11, 12:04
I have a UTL for my HK 45 tactical, have had it since the 90's when I purchased the pistol.
I will say that with todays current batch of lights I would get an adaptor and run a surefire X200, X300 series of lights. I use them on my AR's and my other pistols. They are expensive, but the light output of the unbreakable LED's are impressive.

Clobbersauras
07-17-11, 12:20
I use the Streamlight TLR3 on my P2000. Nice little light, just don't over-tighten it, or you risk cracking the plastic housing.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/IMG_1065.jpg

SteveL
07-17-11, 12:44
When I had a full-sized USP .45 I used the Surefire rail adapter and had an X-200 on it. IIRC I only paid about $50-$60 for it at the time. Given the current pricing, I would go with the GG&G model unless I found a good deal on a used SF adapter.

dc202
07-17-11, 15:17
Okay I will tell you the truth about the UTL. It sucks compared to todays technology. It is a 15 year old design. It is only 60 lumens and costs as much as a X300. The light is plastic and the controls have been prone to breaking.

I am on the swat team on my department, and I am issued a UTL for my duty weapon. So I am speaking from experience of using the light in the real world. I would not use the light if I had a choice. It was great when it first came out and it competition was the ITI M3, but now its not even in the ballpark with current lights.

Matt
Could not agree more. I had one for a month and sold it ASAP. This light is two or three generations behind and the light on mine was PP beyond 20 yards.

loupav
07-18-11, 09:09
When I had a full-sized USP .45 I used the Surefire rail adapter and had an X-200 on it. IIRC I only paid about $50-$60 for it at the time. Given the current pricing, I would go with the GG&G model unless I found a good deal on a used SF adapter.

That's exactly what I use on my USP45. But I've used them with GG&G rails since day one. I don't have a single SF rail, but I [I]assume[I] they're nearly identical.

Paladin_139
07-18-11, 09:18
I used to have a UTL on my full size USP. After a few trips to the range it quit working and I never could figure out what was wrong with it. I replaced the entire bulb assembly and the batteries. It just kinda left a bad taste in my mouth and I am through screwing around with it and wasting money. However I have 2 x300's that I use on a 1911 and on my duty gun that have never failed me and arevextremely reliable. Like others have said they are expensive but definently worth it. I know surefire makes adapter to make them fit the weird USP "rail."

Nevermiss
07-18-11, 11:38
Thanks for the info. I also have an HK, although mine is the 45 USP Tactical and it needs a light. This thread just saved me "search" excercise.

St.Michael
07-18-11, 13:21
Haha my next Usp is going to be a tactical that's why I finally posted this. How do you like the tactical? I didn't know I would need an adapter for the rail. That is a pain. I don't mind paying extra for a light though so that's good. Also I wonder where I can get some holsters made to run the gun and light. I like my raven maybe they can make one.

SteveL
07-18-11, 13:39
For a (kydex) holster I would check with Steve of Personal Security Systems (http://www.psholsters.com/). There are a couple of threads going on about his holsters in the Tactical Gear forum. I just had a really good experience ordering from them. This is just speculation on my part, but he might need to "borrow" your rail adapter so he can properly mold a holster, but it would be worth checking into.

St.Michael
07-18-11, 13:59
Yup. I wouldn't mind sending in tue adapter. So the Gg&g is pretty solid? Im thinking tlr2 with it and that will he perfect.

loupav
07-18-11, 16:15
The GG&G light is VERY solid, and by now probably half the price of the Surefire rail.

loupav
07-18-11, 16:19
Come to think of it the TLR-3 also has a rail for USP.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-compact-rail-mounted-tactical-light-tlr-3-69220.html

Nevermiss
07-18-11, 23:12
Haha my next Usp is going to be a tactical that's why I finally posted this. How do you like the tactical? I didn't know I would need an adapter for the rail. That is a pain. I don't mind paying extra for a light though so that's good. Also I wonder where I can get some holsters made to run the gun and light. I like my raven maybe they can make one.

The double action trigger pull is long but smooth. The single action is acceptable. I've thought about sending it to Apex to have them work on the trigger for me, however, I shoot this pistol more accurately than any of my Glocks or M&P 9L by a long shot. It is a VERY accurate factory pistol and it is my favorite to shoot.

I really like the ergonomics of the P30/P30L and I'm considering getting one of these as well.

I have a custom 2011 9 mm being built and it will be interesting which will shoot tighter groups offhand at 25 yards (the 2011 will have a 6" barrel so I will be surprised if the HK 45 USP Tactical will be quite as accurate as the 2011).

El Cid
07-19-11, 09:53
Surefire rail adapter: http://www.surefire.com/MR09-Mounting-Rail
(use MR08 for USP Compacts)

Surefire X300: http://www.surefire.com/X300-LED-WeaponLight

I have the MR08 on a USP45 Compact, and the MR09 on a USP9. As was mentioned, be sure not to overtighten or it can impede the slides travel.

jenrick
07-19-11, 12:13
One of my duty pistols has been a USP 45 for about 3 years. I use a GG&G rail adapter, with a Streamlight TLR-1. Carry for work is a Blade Tech WRX holster, off duty is a Hillsman kydex holster. Only thing with the light on a USP is they sit way out front, if you have small hands or short fingers you'll need to figure out a way to extended the tail cap switch (personal experience).

-Jenrick

St.Michael
07-19-11, 13:25
Come to think of it the TLR-3 also has a rail for USP.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-compact-rail-mounted-tactical-light-tlr-3-69220.html

wait so this one fights right onto it with no adapter?

St.Michael
07-19-11, 13:28
For a (kydex) holster I would check with Steve of Personal Security Systems (http://www.psholsters.com/). There are a couple of threads going on about his holsters in the Tactical Gear forum. I just had a really good experience ordering from them. This is just speculation on my part, but he might need to "borrow" your rail adapter so he can properly mold a holster, but it would be worth checking into.

you get that holster yet? what's the wait time on em? I have a raven for my glock. Which I don't mind at all. it's pretty nice.

SteveL
07-19-11, 13:43
you get that holster yet? what's the wait time on em? I have a raven for my glock. Which I don't mind at all. it's pretty nice.

Yes I have my holster. Fortunately for me he happened to have a few holsters available for immediate sale for one reason or another. One of them was the configuration I wanted so I got it. No wait time in this instance. However it currently says on their website that your holster should ship within 60 days or they refund your shipping cost. IIRC that's about half the current wait for a Raven holster.

loupav
07-19-11, 13:44
wait so this one fights right onto it with no adapter?

I'm pretty sure it does. I remember seeing a pic of it on HKpro.com but can't remember what thread.

St.Michael
07-19-11, 13:54
sweet guys thanks! also does that same light fit on Glocks? I forgot I have to get one for my G21 too. LOL

loupav
07-19-11, 16:15
I'm really not sure how the TLR-3 mounts directly to the USP. But I would assume that it's a part that replaces one or both sides of the rail grabber.

Since you want a light for use with Glock AND USP, I suggest you get a rail adapter for the USP and get any standard light, such as X300 or TLR-1/2 etc.

Hope this helps.

St.Michael
07-19-11, 21:54
I'm really not sure how the TLR-3 mounts directly to the USP. But I would assume that it's a part that replaces one or both sides of the rail grabber.

Since you want a light for use with Glock AND USP, I suggest you get a rail adapter for the USP and get any standard light, such as X300 or TLR-1/2 etc.

Hope this helps.

good idea. ill be doing that for sure.

Jake'sDad
07-19-11, 23:20

Matt

Boy, that brings back memories. Remember when 60 lumens seemed like you turned on the sun?

Come to think of it, compared to the Mini Mag lights we had mounts for before that, it was......

Though the Laser Products mounts for the Streamlight SL15 we used on shotguns were pretty bright..as long you didn't mind adding a couple lbs to your gun.

St.Michael
07-20-11, 19:19
Boy, that brings back memories. Remember when 60 lumens seemed like you turned on the sun?

Come to think of it, compared to the Mini Mag lights we had mounts for before that, it was......

Though the Laser Products mounts for the Streamlight SL15 we used on shotguns were pretty bright..as long you didn't mind adding a couple lbs to your gun.

That is too funny man.

Thank you guys for all the great information you have provided.