PDA

View Full Version : Stick to my plan or give up and get LCP?

Mike169
07-17-11, 08:47
I put a deposit down on a blue label Bodyguard 380 about a month ago. This is a particularly high volume dealer, so I can't imagine smith is shunting guns away from them, but they simply aren't getting any in. The guy there said they have many (over 20 at least) civilian BG380s, but no blue label and no clue when they'll be coming in.

I'm considering giving up and getting an LCP instead. My problem? I owned an LCP when they first came out and never really enjoyed shooting it, I always felt it was a hand-full and really had to grip tight to keep it secure when firing. I'm told the BG380 shoots much better (likely because of what appears to be a lower bore axis) but who knows...

I already have a G26 and a PM9, I just like having options. It's summer now, and I'd like something I can wear with gym shorts, and I'm willing to get a 380 to fill that occasional role.

So, stick to my plan and try to be patient for the bodyguard, or get the LCP.

Alpha Sierra
07-17-11, 09:20
How does the PM9 not fit the gym shorts role?

Mike169
07-17-11, 09:38
Too heavy for that role in my experience..

munch520
07-17-11, 09:42
I was in the same dilemma and went with the LCP just because of it's simplicity and size. A pocket gun doesn't need sights or a laser, as it will obviously be not used in a capacity needing either. If it's for pocket carry, why would you want to add bulk with the laser attachment? Both are a literal pain to shoot but I don't expect 1911 comfort, in terms of shootability, from a pocket gun. At the end of the day I went with the LCP for the reasons listed above.

glockshooter
07-17-11, 10:19
I have shot both recently, and it is not even a competition between the two. I wanted the LCP to be the one I liked, but it just was not the one that I came away liking. The LCP isn't even in the same ballpark on the shootability side. The grip is longer from front to back on the BG380 and it makes the gun so much better to shoot. I really have no use for the laser, but he sights are a huge advantage over the LCP. I would be extremely surprised if anyone would pick a LCP over the BG380 if they had them both at the range to compare.

Matt

kmrtnsn
07-17-11, 10:39
Rumor has it that LAPD is removing the Bodyguard .380 from the approved list over S&W's inability to get the LAPD version (no safety lever) into production. This is a huge boon to Ruger who can't seem to make LCR's fast enough to feed LAPD and LASD Officer's and Deputies appetites for them as BUGs.

blackboar
07-17-11, 10:47
While I haven't shot a LCP before, I have shot the BG380. The gun is surprisingly accurate for 10 yards and in. The built in laser is kind of awkward to turn on with the button on the side, but when on, it's a huge asset in target acquisition. I wish it were like the CT's with a pressure switch. It still has the punch of a mouse gun, but is not painful to shoot. Loaded, it is lighter than my 642. My only qualms about it is the fact I don't trust the 380 round in a life or death situation.

Why not get the civilian version and pick up a couple extra mags? Are there any other differences between the civi and blue label?

Mike169
07-17-11, 10:56
The blue label also only comes with 1 mag, but it's much cheaper.

Mikesull415
07-17-11, 11:15
Easy solution. Buy the LCP. The go to the Wolff springs website and buy the lcp 13# recoil springs. I guarantee from the time you install then the lcp will be one of your favorite guns to shoot. The factory is 9#

High Tower
07-17-11, 13:19
Easy solution. Buy the LCP. The go to the Wolff springs website and buy the lcp 13# recoil springs. I guarantee from the time you install then the lcp will be one of your favorite guns to shoot. The factory is 9#

What he said, especially on the springs. I've shot both and they seem to be as equally unpleasant to shoot, but they fill a niche so its handy to have one or the other.

Mike169
07-17-11, 13:46

What he said, especially on the springs. I've shot both and they seem to be as equally unpleasant to shoot, but they fill a niche so its handy to have one or the other.

Very interesting, I never thought of that.

Has anyone shot an LCP with a 13# spring as well as a bodyguard and able to comment on a comparison of shootability? I am very much in favor of the ergonomics and sights of the bodyguard, but very turned off by the manual safety (I read above that a version without the safety is in the works, can anyone confirm or give a time frame?). I am worried that the safety will become inadvertently activated and be on when I need to fire.

ETA - I forgot to mention, I am turned on by the simplicity, lower price point, and availability of magazines/accessories of the LCP, but turned off by the lack of sights and my own previous user experience.

kh86
07-17-11, 21:02
How does the PM9 not fit the gym shorts role?

How much difference in weight is there between these 2 when fully loaded? 7 ozs?

Interested to know since I too am in the market for a pocket auto. Does the huge slide release on the pm9 get in the way/rub? I'm guessing not if in a holster but was curious if you use/tried just a belt clip with the pm9.

Mikesull415
07-17-11, 21:55
Very interesting, I never thought of that.

Has anyone shot an LCP with a 13# spring as well as a bodyguard and able to comment on a comparison of shootability? I am very much in favor of the ergonomics and sights of the bodyguard, but very turned off by the manual safety (I read above that a version without the safety is in the works, can anyone confirm or give a time frame?). I am worried that the safety will become inadvertently activated and be on when I need to fire.

ETA - I forgot to mention, I am turned on by the simplicity, lower price point, and availability of magazines/accessories of the LCP, but turned off by the lack of sights and my own previous user experience.

My cousin bought a bodyguard for his wife and she likes it better than his LCP....no particular reason just fits her hand better. She likes the built in laser also even though the on off button is in a horrible place.

The LCP with the 13# springs is actually "FUN" to shoot. it doesn't hurt or jump all over the place and is just over all much easier to hold on to. As far as the sights go check out Innovative Arms website. They're a company here in Columbia SC that specializes in VERY nice suppressors but also do other little machining jobs on the side. They've got a package where you send them your slide, they cut the slides (I don't know if it's an actual novak cut or what but similar) then refinish the slide so everything matches up and installs nightsights. The entire package is like $150 or so but he's currently got a hold on new orders until September

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa206/Tarheel000/Dave01.jpg
PS this is not my picture or gun, but a gentlemans from another forum

munch520
07-18-11, 08:10
I've shot both and they seem to be as equally unpleasant to shoot, but they fill a niche so its handy to have one or the other.

exactly...neither is a good range gun. I broke mine in, shot it enough now and then to be confident in it, and that's it. These are great BUGs or a good solution if it's the only weapon you can carry due to environment, clothing, etc.

skyugo
07-18-11, 08:44

have you tried a smart carry? works great with gym shorts.

jmp45
07-18-11, 09:23
Wife and I both have lcps with the stock 9# springs. She sometimes has a hard time racking with the 9#. Felt recoil is a little too much for her. Will the 13# bring the recoil down considerably less and if she's having a hard time with the 9#, will the 13# be much more difficult to rack? I'm just wondering if an 11 or 12# might be better for her. Recoil may be more of an issue. We just run cheap 95 grain ball at the range.

Never mind, I'll get the calibration pack, 11, 12 and 13 and test.

Mike169
07-18-11, 16:29
My cousin bought a bodyguard for his wife and she likes it better than his LCP....no particular reason just fits her hand better. She likes the built in laser also even though the on off button is in a horrible place.

The LCP with the 13# springs is actually "FUN" to shoot. it doesn't hurt or jump all over the place and is just over all much easier to hold on to. As far as the sights go check out Innovative Arms website. They're a company here in Columbia SC that specializes in VERY nice suppressors but also do other little machining jobs on the side. They've got a package where you send them your slide, they cut the slides (I don't know if it's an actual novak cut or what but similar) then refinish the slide so everything matches up and installs nightsights. The entire package is like $150 or so but he's currently got a hold on new orders until September

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa206/Tarheel000/Dave01.jpg
PS this is not my picture or gun, but a gentlemans from another forum

That does look sexy, but the added cost of that pushes me well above my price point for what I'm trying to do here.

blksn955.o
07-18-11, 16:44
I have not shot the LCP with a 13# spring but have shot the LCP and own a Bodyguard .380. I too wanted to get the LCP but after shooting it after 2 mags I wanted no part of it. Shot the S&W and it was closer to the recoil of the Walther PK380...weigh about the same too for the size difference.

I honestly was not expecting the difference in handling between the LCP and BG380. I figured the BG380 would be the better one from the online reports compared too the LCP but I did not think it would be the level/magnitude better it is.

How much cheaper is the blue label? I got mine for $369 and the Father-in-law just picked one up for $354. If they are in the high $200 range might pick one up for the wife.

Mike169
07-18-11, 16:55
$299 from my dealer, the kicker, they can't seem to get them in stock lol

munch520
07-19-11, 08:26
That does look sexy, but the added cost of that pushes me well above my price point for what I'm trying to do here.

Yeah looks neat but agreed - and, in my belief, sights aren't critical on a pocket gun. If it comes down to using one of these I'd bet that 9 times out of 10 you wouldn't have the spare time to get 3 dots across on anything

lebowski
07-19-11, 20:49
I like my LCP, it serves its intended purpose well IMO.

While it's not something I'd want to shoot all day, I don't find it unpleasant to shoot a box or so with the factory spring.

Mike169
07-26-11, 21:19
Just an update, I picked up an LCP on Saturday, bought an extra mag, a nemesis holster, and some critical defense. I took it to the range Sunday and fired a mag of the critical defense and then a box of rangers. Of course the gun was flawless, and I found it to not be near as bad to fire as I remember. I definitely like the fact that the +0 mag extensions are included now, I think they make a big difference.

Now if I can find some range time to qualify with it, I'll be able to carry it :)

Xenogy
07-27-11, 02:27
My local blue lable has 30 of them on order with 18 of them spoken for already. Limited availability could just be their popularity with LE as BUGs.

Kristofer_G
07-27-11, 12:13
I owned a P3AT years ago. I have shoot LCP, TCP, P380, and BG380.

That the BG380 is bit less punishing recoil wise, is not surprising, considering it is 2.45oz heavier than the LCP. That is a 26% weight gain. The down side is the BG380 has a terrible trigger, with an unbelievably long pull.

The TCP is the easiest to shoot well, the trigger is okay and it has the largest grip. However being a Taurus, I would not have one. I have experienced enough with their quality.

The Kahr P380 was a big disappointment. I have a PM9 I am quite impressed with, so I had high hopes for the P380. The example I shot exhibited poor accuracy and reliability. This maybe a shooter related; the P380 is really tiny and I never felt I had a hold of it. Maybe a great pistol for my 10yo to CC? :lol:

This leaves the P3AT and LCP which are functionally interchangeable to me. I have slight preference for the KT's grip.

deeHKman
07-27-11, 22:18
Got rid of my 2 LCP's and really like my LCR .357 and bought my father a LCR .38+P in a Nemesis great pocket guns....:cool:

Rumor has it that LAPD is removing the Bodyguard .380 from the approved list over S&W's inability to get the LAPD version (no safety lever) into production. This is a huge boon to Ruger who can't seem to make LCR's fast enough to feed LAPD and LASD Officer's and Deputies appetites for them as BUGs.