PDA

View Full Version : M&P sight installation

Meplat
07-17-11, 15:23
So I took my new M&P out for the first time shooting yesterday, and within the first 100 rounds the dot in the front sight fell out and has become lost.
Not blaming S&W, as I know OEM sights are very crappy and simple to begin with most of the time, and it gives me a good excuse to get some new and better sights. I'm not looking for any suggestions on sights to replace them with, as I have that decision more or less narrowed down, but...

I am asking if anyone knows of any smiths or shops who will install sights for me and have a large selection of sights available, or will let me send in my own sights with the slide for installation and have a fairly quick turn around time. Emphasis on the turn around time.
I'm also wondering if I should bypass sending it into a smith and buying the S&W front sight tool and doing it myself. The only thing that worries me about that is that I have no experience with doing this before, no measuring or gunsmithing tools, and I'd hate to dick it up.
Thoughts and suggestions?
Also, I damn well love the M&P, sight problems aside.

jck397
07-17-11, 17:02
Spend the $120 on the MGW sight pusher and you'll never look back.. I picked one up after a nightmare experience having a smith install sights on my M&P .40. I figure with 3 M&P's and plans for at least 1 more, at $25-$50 a pop at most local shops, I figured it would pay for itself. Plus I like being able to detail strip my carry guns, and with the M&P's, that means removing the rear sight. The MGW tool is easy to use, solid, and simple. I couldn't be happier with it.

Meplat
07-17-11, 17:45
Thanks for the post, jck. While I appreciate the ability of being able to do something yourself, I just really don't feel too comfortable with installing the sights myself, in particular the front sight as I've read that it can be quite a task.
I'd feel a lot more comfortable and willing to just send it to a smith and have it done correctly to begin with.

The only issue is that there aren't any smiths I'm aware of in my area, so I'm wondering if anyone has any information or knowledge of a smith, maybe even someone from this site, who can do it with a fairly quick turn around time.
Thanks.

CoryCop25
07-17-11, 18:04
It is VERY easy to change the sights on a pistol if you have the right tools and a little bit of common sense. I also suggest the MGW tool. Look on Brownell's. I will suggest the Ameriglo Hackthorne front sight and any combination rear that will suit you.

rjacobs
07-17-11, 19:16
Where are you located and I am sure somebody can help you out with a local smith.

Or contact Grant at G&R, I think he is pretty quick, although he may not sell the exact sights you want.

TomMcC
07-18-11, 12:06
Front sight replacement is pretty easy to do. I prefer fiber optics (don't see as well as I use to). All you really need is a piece of 320, a flat surface, and a 1/4" brass punch. When you do it, or have somebody do it just make really sure the height of the sight is correct.

Cproflow
07-18-11, 12:17
I had this happen to me too...the sight didn't fall out, but was so loose I could pop it out with little effort. I purchased Dawson Precision replacements--front and rear (I wanted the adjustable rear). The front sight still was loose with the Dawson--and they are purposely built a little big. The conclusion then, is that the dovetail has been cut too large.

I'm going to contact Dawson and send the slide to them to have it fit. They have a guarantee...and their service seems very thorough. I'll pay the $23 (?) to have them install their sights and return to me a gun I can actually use:smile:

bulbvivid
07-18-11, 12:26
Thanks for the post, jck. While I appreciate the ability of being able to do something yourself, I just really don't feel too comfortable with installing the sights myself, in particular the front sight as I've read that it can be quite a task.
I'd feel a lot more comfortable and willing to just send it to a smith and have it done correctly to begin with.

The only issue is that there aren't any smiths I'm aware of in my area, so I'm wondering if anyone has any information or knowledge of a smith, maybe even someone from this site, who can do it with a fairly quick turn around time.
Thanks.

I purchased the sight tool and installed them myself with little trouble. It was the first time I'd installed sights. The front sight was no problem to install. I had to fit the rear sight to some degree, but that wan't difficult either. Turns out the front sight I got from Ameriglo was either too small or my dovetail a little large, and the front sight came out with little pressure. Ameriglo sent me a new front, which also installed without trouble.

I can understand wanting to send the gun to a smith, but if you're going down the rabbit hole of aftermarket sights, unless you for sure know what you want and won't be changing them at all, it might be worth it to consider doing it yourself. With the pusher, it really isn't any trouble at all.

Ty_B
07-18-11, 16:45
It's funny you posted this today.

About 10 months ago, I bought a M&P 9 full size. A day or two later, I took it to the range just to try it out. I didn't have much time, so I ran 100 rounds through it, pronounced it 'good', and went home. When I removed the pistol from it's case, I noticed that the front sight was gone. I went back to the gun shop to complain (well, to try to get a replacement gun) but they told me I'd have to send it back myself. Great CS, I know. Anyway, one toothpick and some white Rustoleum later, I had a new dot that has survived about 3k rds since.

Fast forward to yesterday. Bought a new M&P 9c from a different store, drove to a different range and put 100 test rds through it. Other than a very sticky slide release and a terrible trigger that will be Apexed shortly, it was fine. Much more accurate than I expected, incidentally. I went home and took it out of the case and . . . no front dot.

I do blame S&W, by the way. If my 0.0001 dollars worth of Rustoleum doesn't fall out, their dot shouldn't either. The thing is, it's so much easier to just fix yourself so I never bothered to contact S&W.

mizer67
07-18-11, 17:28
I do blame S&W, by the way. If my 0.0001 dollars worth of Rustoleum doesn't fall out, their dot shouldn't either. The thing is, it's so much easier to just fix yourself so I never bothered to contact S&W.

I have a .40 FS, 9mm FS and .40 compact M&P.

All three lost their front sight dot.

I use a toothpick and Liquid Paper I had lying around. Even that temporary repair has stayed put just fine.

Meplat
07-18-11, 20:47
Thanks for the responses, guys.
I really am willing to do the work myself, I've just never installed or removed sights on a pistol before, so I'm a little apprehensive and afraid of doing it and having something go wrong or break.
I checked into the sight pusher, and it seems fairly inexpensive if it allows me the ability to swap sights whenever I please.

I am, however, still a little apprehensive and timid of attempting to tackle this whole ordeal by myself.
Aside from the new sights and the sight pusher tool, is there any other tools that I will need to complete the job of removing the old sights and installing new sights on a S&W M&P?
Do I need some sort of measuring tool to ensure that I have the front and rear sight placed exactly where they need to be?
Is it likely that I'm going to encounter sights that need hand fitting prior to installation? I'll be using Warren Tactical sights.
And overall, is there much risk that I'm taking by doing this myself with the sight pusher?
I really don't mind sending it off to be done by someone who will do it right if it has a fairly quick turn around time, but if I can do it myself 100% correct with just a tool or two and without much risk, I am willing to do that.
Thanks.

BBS
12-05-12, 13:00
dont forget the buy the red loctite (not blue) for your rear sight set screw!

Forrest
12-05-12, 13:09
A guy on 1911 forum makes a sight pusher tool and that's what I used on my M&P. I used trijicon HD sights and I found them to be great.