PDA

View Full Version : Eye protection FAIL - with pic

lasvegasone
07-17-11, 20:23
I should let you know that but for the grace of God I'm able to write this topic. I Failed to wear the proper eye protection suitable for range shooting.

As a result of my poor choice (regular sunglasses), I now have a reminder of that mistake. As you can see, I came **thisclose** to losing my left eye to an ejected shell casing. Had the casing struck me vertical instead of horizontal, I'd be shopping for eye patch today.

Second degree burns on the skin heal quickly. On the cornea, it just blinds.

You are responsible for you own safety. Exercise that right.

Reagans Rascals
07-17-11, 20:26
I'll vouch for the importance of eyepro.... anyone who's had a good case of welders flash can attest to that...

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-17-11, 20:36
So did it fall behind your Glasses?

Quiet-Matt
07-17-11, 20:51
Damn bro, that's close. Ironically I sustained two eye injuries at work, and both times the debris entered underneath my Z87 rated safety glasses with side sheilds. Kinda makes you want to wear goggles doesn't it?

lasvegasone
07-17-11, 21:10
The glasses were curved, just not curved enough past the eye socket.

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-17-11, 21:15
Damn bro, that's close. Ironically I sustained two eye injuries at work, and both times the debris entered underneath my Z87 rated safety glasses with side sheilds. Kinda makes you want to wear goggles doesn't it?

Sure is funny how that happens isnt it. I have the same issue stuff is either droping down or shooting up. Goggles allways fog up to. I have had metal removed from my eye 2 times now.

On another note I got the same degree of burn on my noise from a cheese hotdog a month ago. There is no hope left

lasvegasone
07-17-11, 21:18
:lol:

obucina
07-17-11, 21:53
that was close! Im an Oakley snob and have an old pair of Half Jackets with clear lenses. Ive had hot brass smack the lens more than once.

jcemt
07-23-11, 17:37
that was close! Im an Oakley snob and have an old pair of Half Jackets with clear lenses. Ive had hot brass smack the lens more than once.

I've always ran Oakley for my range glasses and they've never failed me.

Ironman8
07-23-11, 18:10
I run Oakley Hybrid M-Frames, and love them for shooting, but noticed that when I'm edging in the yard with the weed-eater, I occasionally get stuff shooting up into the lenses and into my eyes...and there's not much of a gap from my face to the lenses. Unless you wear goggles (which comes with its own set of problems), you just can't protect everything...glad you're eye is good tho man, that could have been slightly unpleasant.

Dutchy556
07-23-11, 18:21
A reminder of the importance of eye-pro is always good. Glad it missed your eye.

I've always worn either Oakleys, generic Z87 rated wrap arounds, or more recently Rudy Projects. All of them have taken direct impacts from hot brass, shrap from shooting steel, other assorted flying debris, etc. and have no doubt saved my eyesight on more than one occasion. The importance of impact resistant eye-pro with good coverage cannot be emphasized enough.

rudy99
07-23-11, 18:26
As a result of my poor choice (regular sunglasses), I now have a reminder of that mistake.

So what kind of sunglasses were you wearing? Any pics of the glasses?

COVERBUSTER
07-23-11, 19:40
Theres lots of cool ANSI approved safety glass's out there now, not the old Univex crap from years ago.

sgtjosh
07-23-11, 20:06
I should let you know that but for the grace of God I'm able to write this topic. I Failed to wear the proper eye protection suitable for range shooting.

As a result of my poor choice (regular sunglasses), I now have a reminder of that mistake. As you can see, I came **thisclose** to losing my left eye to an ejected shell casing. Had the casing struck me vertical instead of horizontal, I'd be shopping for eye patch today.

Second degree burns on the skin heal quickly. On the cornea, it just blinds.

You are responsible for you own safety. Exercise that right.

Last week I was doing some agency provided firearms training. During one of the drills, we had to get off 10 rounds (in the five ring) at 10 yards in 5 seconds using our iron sights. On about round 4, a piece of brass ejected from the rifle to my left and became lodged between my Oakley M Frames and my temple. I managed to get all 10 rounds off, but was left with one hell of a burn.

lasvegasone
07-23-11, 20:42
As a note, Keeping the wound clean and application of neosporin has helped heal the skin. Just don't let it enter the eye tissues.