PDA

View Full Version : Barrel cleaning

huntsimp
07-17-11, 20:50
Should I clean the barrel of my 1911 until patches come out clean (without any black)?

Dienekes
07-17-11, 23:35
Assuming that you're not getting a lot of leading from cast bullets, and just using jacketed bullets, cleaning until you get a clean patch out is overkill. With a nice smooth barrel, a wet patch, 5-6 brush strokes, and 3-4 dry patches does it for me. One last oiled patch after that and I consider it done.

Some ammo (Wolf in an SKS) is a lot filthier so that doesn't apply to that stuff.

More than that under ordinary circumstances is pretty pointless IMHO.

rathos
07-18-11, 01:29
I am a huge fan of tetra cleaning products. I use their solvent one time per year and the rest of the time it usually takes me 6 patches to get a barrel clean.

I start out with a patch with action blaster on it, and rub it through. Then two more patches until it comes clean. Then I use their standard lubricant on a patch and down the barrel. I run this patch through quite a few times until the barrel feels hot in my hand. This will usually produce a dirty looking patch again. I then run two more patches through, this is usually what it takes to show clean. The lubricant helps to keep things from sticking in the barrel.

I usually wait until I have fired 250 to 500 before I clean. If I shoot a lot of lead I will occasionally use solvent before the one year time just to be safe, and it usually still only takes 6 or less patches.

wetidlerjr
07-18-11, 05:47
I use Bore Snakes. A couple passes and I'm done. :cool:

Gunfighter.45
07-18-11, 07:24
I use Bore Snakes. A couple passes and I'm done. :cool:

+1 on bore snake..best thing out.

Littlelebowski
07-18-11, 07:33
Should I clean the barrel of my 1911 until patches come out clean (without any black)?

No. Go shoot the gun.

7PI
07-18-11, 08:19
I think if you try to get to the point where you pull a clean patch, you'll be cleaning more than shooting.

Make sure the bore is not fouled and like the others say run a clean oiled patch for protection.

Keeping the chamber clean is WAY more important! Make sure you use a chamber brush and scrub it out everytime you clean. A dirty bore is far less likely to effect reliability than a sticky or dirty chamber.

Littlelebowski
07-18-11, 08:27
I think if you try to get to the point where you pull a clean patch, you'll be cleaning more than shooting.

Make sure the bore is not fouled and like the others say run a clean oiled patch for protection.

Keeping the chamber clean is WAY more important! Make sure you use a chamber brush and scrub it out everytime you clean. A dirty bore is far less likely to effect reliability than a sticky or dirty chamber.

The way you know of the barrel is fouled is by shooting it and see if accuracy has dropped off. The way you know if the chamber is dirty is by......shooting it and seeing if reliability drops off. I disagree that dirty chambers in decent, reliable pistols are something to worry about and cause to clean your chambers any more than boresnaking every once in a while.

7PI
07-18-11, 08:39
I disagree that dirty chambers in decent, reliable pistols are something to worry about and cause to clean your chambers any more than boresnaking every once in a while.

AN excerpt from Yam's site...

https://www.10-8performance.com:443/pages/1911-User%27s-Guide.html

"Cleaning: After any shooting session, I field strip the 1911 and clean it. I use Shooter's Choice and a .308 chamber brush (Brownells part number 084-450-030) to clean the barrel. I only make one or two passes, the main intent is to keep the chamber clean. A wet patch and a couple dry patches are about all I do for barrels. If you shoot lead bullets, be sure that the chamber, especially the shoulder and rifling leade (the transition from the chamber to the fully cut rifling) areas, are clean of bullet lube and lead shavings. If you shoot decent jacketed ammo, you won't have as much barrel or chamber cleaning to do. If you let the chamber get dirty, you may have failures to go into battery or other feed related malfunctions."

Littlelebowski
07-18-11, 08:40
7Pi, I don't own weapons that need to be cleaned after every time I shoot them.

7PI
07-18-11, 08:43
7Pi, I don't own weapons that need to be cleaned after every time I shoot them.

There you go. We agree on that!

When I do clean them, I tend to focus more on the chamber than on the bore.

Good point brother!

Stay safe.

huntsimp
07-18-11, 19:55
Thanks for the input, guys.

How many rounds between cleaning?

brzusa.1911
07-18-11, 20:08
I clean everytime I shoot, good chance to inspect parts. I don't use any solvents, I spray the barrel with CLP and run boresnake two or three times, another spray of CLP and two or three more passes of boresnake. I get a patch with light oil (FP10) and run through the barrel and follow with a dry one.

For the frame, slide, rails...I spray CLP, use a nylon brush, wrap a patch on the brush and run through all the areas I previously brushed, another spray of CLP, remove all excess with dry cloth and light lub.

I clean my ARs the same way.

All I need is CLP, FP10, TW-25b, boresnake, jag, nylon brush, cotton patches, cotton towel.

Littlelebowski
07-18-11, 20:39

No sooner than every 500 and then you will go to 1k once you realize that everything is fine. However, if accuracy drops off and you are certain it's the barrel and not you, clean sooner.

Travelingchild
07-18-11, 21:05
Here's my cleaning stuff,

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/fallsafe/cleaning009.jpg

S&W PD over 11thousand rds, Ed Brown SF around 7thousand,
Every couple thousand hose down with brake cleaner, then the liquid wrench penetrating oil. Wipe down & reholster.
If I'm really bored I'll field strip it, usually about the time I change the recoil spring (3thousandish or when ever the ejection gets erratic) run a brush though it maybe twice, Then the above, Either way I then run a mag through it for a function check. :D Then reholster.

brzusa.1911
07-19-11, 11:09
OP, another thing to consider is the purpose of the gun. i.e. a selfdefense carry gun, IMO, should be cleaned every time you shoot, while a competition bullseye gun (not experience there) most likely have another schedule to keep accuracy and what not.

Cleaning a SD/carry gun will give you the opportunity to inspect parts, also think about this scenarion - you are leaving a store and walking towards your car while the police surrounds everything investigating a nearby shootout. If your barrel is dirty chances are your gun will be taken for investigation and might take a while for you to get it back, if your gun is clean chances are your gun can be dismissed from any further investigation.

Maybe off topic, consider getting a second gun similar to the main carry which you can use for practice. I like to break in my main carry guns, make sure everything is fine, but I don't like to put thousands of rounds through them. It is a tool, mechanical devide, and the more you use the more chances for parts to break. No harm if a part breaks on a backup gun while practicing, but you don't want this to happen to a SD gun - If your wrench breaks when you need, you can stop and run over the hardware store, if you gun breaks when you need you will not have the luxury to stop and workout the problem.
This is my opinion only, and what makes me feel confortable.

Littlelebowski
07-19-11, 11:11
Cleaning a SD/carry gun will give you the opportunity to inspect parts, also think about this scenarion - you are leaving a store and walking towards your car while the police surrounds everything investigating a nearby shootout. If your barrel is dirty chances are your gun will be taken for investigation and might take a while for you to get it back, if your gun is clean chances are your gun can be dismissed from any further investigation.

You have a very active imagination and you seem to clean more than you shoot.

brzusa.1911
07-19-11, 11:16
You have a very active imagination and you seem to clean more than you shoot.

You must be a psychic - do you carry a gun because you know exactly what and when something is going to happen? I would guess you also practice knowing exactly how your SD will play out...:sarcastic:

I shoot enough, between 3000-5000 rounds a year, and clean after each range trip. How about you? Do you shoot this much or more the same gun you carry?

Littlelebowski
07-19-11, 11:18
I have no idea how much I shoot. Prolly 1k a month. Several people on here have shot with me and taken classes with me.

I clean every 3-5k rounds. Your theory about cops and dirty versus clean barrels seemed to be a joke but you apparently are serious. It defines "what iffing" and you are overthinking this.

huntsimp
07-19-11, 11:22
I agree that a good cleaning is necessary so often in order to maintain a weapon.

However, from reading on here the past year or so I came to the conclusion that I should practice (and practice hard) with the gun I would intend to use in a defensive situation...

brzusa.1911
07-19-11, 11:28
I have no idea how much I shoot. Prolly 1k a month. Several people on here have shot with me and taken classes with me.

I clean every 3-5k rounds. Your theory about cops and dirty versus clean barrels seemed to be a joke but you apparently are serious. It defines "what iffing" and you are overthinking this.

That is good you shoot 1000 rounds a month, with a fulltime job and family I don't have the time luxury. I personally would not carry a gun I fire 1000 rounds / month, specially without cleaning and inspecting to make sure all is well.

I think we have had this discussion before on the 1911 forum, if I remember correctly you shoot a G17 right?

And yes, I practice "what iffing" - that is how I practice clearing the house considering "what iffing" scenarios from different rooms/entrances, speed draw, engaging multiple targets...I also participate on USPSA where targets are layout simulating "what iffing" scenarios.

I think you should incorporate some "what iffing" on your training.

brzusa.1911
07-19-11, 11:30
I agree that a good cleaning is necessary so often in order to maintain a weapon.

However, from reading on here the past year or so I came to the conclusion that I should practice (and practice hard) with the gun I would intend to use in a defensive situation...

I agree with that, I just suggested getting a similar gun to the one you carry so you can practice with it (and also have as a backup) - "two is one, one is none."

Littlelebowski
07-19-11, 11:54
I have a full time job and a family. I periodically do a quick inspection of the pistol. I use the same pistol for training, carry, and competition. I've posted AARs of classes I've taken using this pistol; posted on this very forum.

You really need to take step back and ask yourself if your make believe scenario of cops inspecting a CCW permit holder's pistol's rifling for fouling is realistic. Seriously.

brzusa.1911
07-19-11, 12:01
I have a full time job and a family. I periodically do a quick inspection of the pistol. I use the same pistol for training, carry, and competition. I've posted AARs of classes I've taken using this pistol; posted on this very forum.

You really need to take step back and ask yourself if your make believe scenario of cops inspecting a CCW permit holder's pistol's rifling for fouling is realistic. Seriously.

Well, you practice and live by what you believe. At the end of the day we live with our own choices.

7PI posted an article by Hilton Yam (https://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-User%27s-Guide.html), I trust his work and experience - SD (duty) gun is not the same as bullseye (accuracy) gun and should be treated differently.

Littlelebowski
07-19-11, 12:16
Yup, I don't own bullseye guns.

brzusa.1911
07-19-11, 12:18
Yup, I don't own bullseye guns.

Yet, all you talk about is not cleaning a gun because of accuracy :confused:

I take Hilton's advice on how to maintain a reliable 1911, it has worked for me.

Littlelebowski
07-19-11, 12:20
Yet, all you talk about is not cleaning a gun because of accuracy :confused:

No. You misconstrue. I say that you should clean when accuracy drops off. This rarely actually happens to anyone outside of benchrest and long range shooters.

mike boufford
07-19-11, 20:12
A wet patch with Powder Blaster and then a few passes with a bore brush. Follow that up with a wet patch and a couple of dry patches and I'm done. I spend more time lubing than cleaning the barrel. Once in awhile I use Hoppes to get copper residue out, but that is a rarity.

GIJew766
07-19-11, 20:28
Through my quality 1911s, I run a Boresnake through them after long range sessions, and hit the chamber with a brush. A little lube and put it back together. Every 1000 rounds or so they get an actual cleaning. It's been more than that since the last time I cleaned them, seeing as I'm currently carrying the HK45 for a while.

H

OldState
07-19-11, 23:43
OP, another thing to consider is the purpose of the gun. i.e. a self defense carry gun, IMO, should be cleaned every time you shoot, while a competition bullseye gun (not experience there) most likely have another schedule to keep accuracy and what not.

Yes. My Bullseye guns get shot until they stop working or at 1000 rounds...they usually foul (the chamber) before accuracy is affected. My Bullseye smith always told me that an accurized 1911 should be cleaned and dissembled/reassembled as little as possible to preserve the accurizing job.

I never show up to a match with a totally clean gun as I must foul the barrel with 5 to 10 shots to get back to my zero.

My carry gun is always clean before I carry it to defend myself...why would you chance this. I would do this with any defensive weapon. This gun is not accurate enough to notice a zero shift with a clean bore.

I highly doubt many people could tell accuracy drop off due to fouling in an out-of-the-box 1911 (or any pistol) and ball ammo. It would probably stop working before you noticed that.

brzusa.1911
07-20-11, 08:36
oldstate, right on - "why risk?"

I can come up with lots of scenarios where would be beneficial to have your carry gun clean (specially if it is an expensive one)

- You are in your house, a couple of guys break in you and your wife (father, mother, kid, ... whoever) gets one of the Les Baer 1911s and you get another. A couple of shots are fired, you hit one of BG while your wife has the other at gunpoint - police comes in, needs to take firearm(s) for evidence, chances are hers will stay at home.

- You are in a store, i.e. gas station, a couple of BGs walk in, there is a shootout between the BGs and one or more customers, or clerk, and people get shot - you happen to be open carrying or simple draw your weapon behind covers but never open fire, police sees your nice 1911 is clean - what are the chances your gun will seat rusting on evidence room?

- You just came from the range and fired 200 rounds, the extractor gets a hair line crack on the last round your fired at the range, or the ejector, or the plunger tub became loose.... You pack your gun without cleaning, never noticed the problem. SHTF, you fire one round and it fails to extract, the next fail to feed, the slide stop/release starts jumping because the tub went loose....

7PI
07-20-11, 08:37

For my carry gun...I clean it every time I shoot it.

For the others...It depends on the ammo. I clean them when they seem to have a lot of build up, have trouble chambering/extracting a round or if begin to feel "sluggish" as they cycle.

GIJew766
07-20-11, 09:49
The whole thing about your gun being clean makes it unlikely to be taken or what not is ridiculous. Your wife and you hold one bad guy at gun point and shoot the other, both guns are being scooped up and having ballistics run on them.

Clean, dirty, whatever. My HK45 that I've been carrying hasn't been cleaned cleaned in months. My 1911s that I carry have been put through worse runs of no cleaning than the current one, and they have functioned flawlessly. I'm not a fan of overly tight-fitted guns because they have less tolerance for dirt and grime. The wonder of the original 1911 was that it was reliable despite mud and dirt and muck due to the built in tolerances. People sacrifice that reliability for a margin of accuracy that 99% of end-users wouldn't be able to utilize anyway.

H

brzusa.1911
07-20-11, 10:49
The whole thing about your gun being clean makes it unlikely to be taken or what not is ridiculous. Your wife and you hold one bad guy at gun point and shoot the other, both guns are being scooped up and having ballistics run on them.

Clean, dirty, whatever. My HK45 that I've been carrying hasn't been cleaned cleaned in months. My 1911s that I carry have been put through worse runs of no cleaning than the current one, and they have functioned flawlessly. I'm not a fan of overly tight-fitted guns because they have less tolerance for dirt and grime. The wonder of the original 1911 was that it was reliable despite mud and dirt and muck due to the built in tolerances. People sacrifice that reliability for a margin of accuracy that 99% of end-users wouldn't be able to utilize anyway.

H

These are "what if" scenarios. The outcome, or the scenario itself, can start and end on a number of ways. As far as your preference for tight or loose fit 1911s, that is your preference and not the subject of the discussion. But for the record, I love a tight fit gun - Out of Colts, SAs, Dan Wessons, and Les Baers, my favorite guns to shoot and 100% reliable were/are Les Baers, my least favorites and most unreliable were Colts.

GIJew766
07-20-11, 10:51
These are "what if" scenarios. The outcome, or the scenario itself, can start and end on a number of ways.

And I'm saying your "what if" scenarios are unaffected by whether or not your gun is clean. That's ridiculous. I comprehend what you posted just fine. Your points don't hold water anywhere but your own mind. A clean gun is no less likely to be taken in as evidence than a dirty gun. There is no change in reality regardless of the situation.

H

brzusa.1911
07-20-11, 10:56
And I'm saying your "what if" scenarios are unaffected by whether or not your gun is clean. That's ridiculous. I comprehend what you posted just fine. Your points don't hold water anywhere but your own mind. A clean gun is no less likely to be taken in as evidence than a dirty gun. There is no change in reality regardless of the situation.

H

Ok, let us assume you are correct - there are other reasons mentioned to clean a 1911 after you shoot it, which industry professionals agree. Now, if I am to take the advice of someone like Hilton Yam vs yours, take a guess which one I would take..

GIJew766
07-20-11, 11:15
Ok, let us assume you are correct - there are other reasons mentioned to clean a 1911 after you shoot it, which industry professionals agree. Now, if I am to take the advice of someone like Hilton Yam vs yours, take a guess which one I would take..

I'm as big a proponent of Hilton's work as anyone. In fact, I'm a huge fan of his assertion that a properly built 1911 with an external extractor solves a lot of the reliability and maintenance issues of the 1911.

But that is neither here, nor there. All of my 1911s are semi-custom or full custom builds. All built with a little extra slop in them. Why? Because that is the way they were originally designed, which allowed them to function in environments like the trenches in Europe, beaches of Normandy, the Pacific islands, Korea, Vietnam, etcetera and blah blah blah. There is a reason the 1911s still being used in combat by certain units are not the uber-fitted guns that most folks chase in the gun store. Operating in sandy environments doesn't bode well for a gun that has no slop in the lock up. Does this degrade accuracy? Sure, but not enough to make all that much difference to the shooters on the ground. The difference is negligible for combat purposes.

As Hilton has said again and again, a properly built and maintained 1911 will serve the dedicated operator like no other pistol could. For some pistols, the maintenance requirements are higher than others. My 1911s have all been thoroughly abused, ran through the ringer and have passed with flying colors. Hilton's maintenance suggestions are just that, suggestions! If your pistol needs to be spotless in order to function, you need to find yourself a new pistol, because mine run dirty as hell without a hiccup.

H

brzusa.1911
07-20-11, 11:29
[...] If your pistol needs to be spotless in order to function, you need to find yourself a new pistol, because mine run dirty as hell without a hiccup.

H

That is the point you are missing, maybe they don't need to be spotless to run, but certaintly run better when they are clean - that is the point Hilton is making. :rolleyes:

GIJew766
07-20-11, 11:37
That is the point you are missing, maybe they don't need to be spotless to run, but certaintly run better when they are clean - that is the point Hilton is making. :rolleyes:

I don't believe you, nor I, are qualified to assume what point Hilton is trying to convey. I will say this, however, that my Nighthawks have not shown any difference in function from the time I last cleaned them (March of this year) until now. I have fired over 1000 rounds through them each in that time frame, and done nothing more than added some lube to the frame rails and barrel under the bushing. They function flawlessly. Gun cycles dirty just fine. If yours doesn't...well...

H

brzusa.1911
07-20-11, 11:50
I don't believe you, nor I, are qualified to assume what point Hilton is trying to convey. I will say this, however, that my Nighthawks have not shown any difference in function from the time I last cleaned them (March of this year) until now. I have fired over 1000 rounds through them each in that time frame, and done nothing more than added some lube to the frame rails and barrel under the bushing. They function flawlessly. Gun cycles dirty just fine. If yours doesn't...well...

H

You are still missing the point, they can run well dirty for a while, they will eventually not - maybe your chamber, extractor, breach face....are self cleaning, good for you. Also, hope nothing breaks and goes unnoticed from the last range trip to a time you need to use it. Bottom line is do as you please, carry yours dirty, doesn't affect my decision on how I carry and what I suggest others to do.

Go to the other board dedicated to 1911s and ask the 1911s smiths and industry reps there, you might change your mind and learn a thing or two.

This thread is done for me, anymore replies will be waste of time. Good luck to all.

GIJew766
07-20-11, 12:02
You are still missing the point, they can run well dirty for a while, they will eventually not - maybe your chamber, extractor, breach face....are self cleaning, good for you. Also, hope nothing breaks and goes unnoticed from the last range trip to a time you need to use it. Bottom line is do as you please, carry yours dirty, doesn't affect my decision on how I carry and what I suggest others to do.

Go to the other board dedicated to 1911s and ask the 1911s smiths and industry reps there, you might change your mind and learn a thing or two.

This thread is done for me, anymore replies will be waste of time. Good luck to all.

Hoss, I think you're missing the point. My username over there is the same as here. I'm no rookie to the 1911. Been shooting them since I handled my grandfathers when I was six. I'm not on the level of Hilton or Dave or Chuck, or Larry, Bill, etc. I do know the difference between a properly set-up 1911 (like the C&S Trident with debris cuts) that runs as dirty as hell, and a rack-grade Springfield that needs to be cleaned every 500-1000 rounds. This isn't a matter of affecting your decision to carry your gun, this is about debunking some of the myth that the 1911 cannot be allowed to be dirty.

Regardless, way too many people spend way too much time pulling apart their 1911s to meticulously scrub the shit out of them. Same with people with ARs. Along the way, someone started saying "if it's dirty, it won't run and then you'll be up shit creek..." when the reality is "keep it lubed, chamber clear, and don't worry about running patches through til they're clean" would suffice just fine.

H

brzusa.1911
07-20-11, 12:36
Sorry, I know I said I was done. I think I can assume what Hilton Yam is trying to convey with the statement below - let us read it again (note bold and underlined text):

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1050548&postcount=9

https://www.10-8performance.com:443/...27s-Guide.html

"Cleaning: After any shooting session, I field strip the 1911 and clean it. I use Shooter's Choice and a .308 chamber brush (Brownells part number 084-450-030) to clean the barrel. I only make one or two passes, the main intent is to keep the chamber clean. A wet patch and a couple dry patches are about all I do for barrels. If you shoot lead bullets, be sure that the chamber, especially the shoulder and rifling leade (the transition from the chamber to the fully cut rifling) areas, are clean of bullet lube and lead shavings. If you shoot decent jacketed ammo, you won't have as much barrel or chamber cleaning to do. If you let the chamber get dirty, you may have failures to go into battery or other feed related malfunctions."

GIJew766
07-20-11, 13:45
Did you not read what I wrote.

Something about keeping the chamber clear? Yeah, guess you missed that.:rolleyes:

H

brzusa.1911
07-20-11, 14:03
delete by brzusa.1911

bp7178
07-20-11, 14:08
Pat Rogers would be the first to tell you he stopped using chamber brushes in AR15 years ago.

brzusa.1911
07-20-11, 14:16
Did you not read what I wrote.

Something about keeping the chamber clear? Yeah, guess you missed that.:rolleyes:

H

I see one of your post here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1051930&postcount=29) that you do run boresnake and chamber brush...so you do clean your gun afterwards - good for you...I guess you jumped in later on again to discuss the scenarios I was talking about and how you don't like tight fit guns ... and how your guns run dirty...eventhough you clean where it matters :rolleyes:

I suggest you also inspect other parts after your range trips on top of boresnake and chamber brush...if it is your carry gun.

GIJew766
07-20-11, 14:22
I might be missing something, but I read "dirty or clean" not "clear or obstructed" - at least that is how I read the bold underlined text from the quote above.

Now, if you keep your chamber clear (assuming you mean clean), how do you do that? blowing air through it? :rolleyes:

Boresnake for the chamber and barrel, a brush for the breech face if need be (contrary to what folks on the internet tell you, it doesn't need to be bright and shiny for your pistol to function) and some lube where it's needed. That's my regimen for regular "cleaning," and depending on training schedule or if I'm carrying the 1911, full cleaning intervals ranges from 1200-1500 rounds. I have gone 2000 rounds without an actual scrubbing before, but it was due to my own laziness and curiosity than anything else. As I said, a looser fitting 1911 isn't as prone to stoppages because it's dirty as these current, tight fit "tack-drivers" are.

H

GIJew766
07-20-11, 14:26
I see one of your post here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1051930&postcount=29) that you do run boresnake and chamber brush...so you do clean your gun afterwards - good for you...I guess you jumped in later on again to discuss the scenarios I was talking about and how you don't like tight fit guns ... and how your guns run dirty...eventhough you clean where it matters :rolleyes:

I suggest you also inspect other parts after your range trips on top of boresnake and chamber brush...if it is your carry gun.

That's not cleaning in the sense they teach you in the Fleet or where I grew up. Cleaning meant breaking out the solvents, running patches through the bore over and over and over until they came out spotless. That's cleaning. Running a Boresnake and brushing off a little carbon isn't cleaning.

As for it being my carry gun, I do regularly inspect parts, but that doesn't mean I'm going to clean things. I can inspect parts without needing to scrub the shit out of my gun. I replace my own parts, do my own maintenance. People seem to make a bigger deal out of this than it is.

H

brzusa.1911
07-20-11, 14:43
That's not cleaning in the sense they teach you in the Fleet or where I grew up. Cleaning meant breaking out the solvents, running patches through the bore over and over and over until they came out spotless. That's cleaning. Running a Boresnake and brushing off a little carbon isn't cleaning.

As for it being my carry gun, I do regularly inspect parts, but that doesn't mean I'm going to clean things. I can inspect parts without needing to scrub the shit out of my gun. I replace my own parts, do my own maintenance. People seem to make a bigger deal out of this than it is.

H

OK ;)

brzusa.1911
07-20-11, 14:58
[...] As I said, a looser fitting 1911 isn't as prone to stoppages because it's dirty as these current, tight fit "tack-drivers" are.

H

Sure, it all depends on the gun and who makes them as well. I have had two LBs (sold one recently) that ran/run 100% through a pistol class, and through USPSA matches. These are my preferred 1911s, tight and awesome lockup, I would also venture into Wilsons as well, but for now LB has my business. Apparently you like your NHs, good for you. I wouldn't pay big money for a 1911 assembled with other manufacturers parts, and stamp their logo on it - each to his/her own.

GIJew766
07-20-11, 16:17
Sure, it all depends on the gun and who makes them as well. I have had two LBs (sold one recently) that ran/run 100% through a pistol class, and through USPSA matches. These are my preferred 1911s, tight and awesome lockup, I would also venture into Wilsons as well, but for now LB has my business. Apparently you like your NHs, good for you. I wouldn't pay big money for a 1911 assembled with other manufacturers parts, and stamp their logo on it - each to his/her own.

I don't much care who's parts they use. In house, sourced from other manufacturers, so long as the pistol runs like a scalded dog. They, as well as my Wilsons and my C&S pistol have all been wonderful. I owned a PC9111LR for a while and sold that to fund the C&S. One Wilson was sold to fund a Fusion custom build, and I still have two left. My C&S ran through a GunSite 250 course without a hiccup and it is my favorite 1911 until I can get my hands on a pistol from Mr. Rogers.

H

brzusa.1911
07-20-11, 17:51
delete by brzusa.1911.

asianhulk
07-22-11, 06:59
Should you clean after every range trip? Would it hurt anything if you did?

I like to shoot but I don't see cleaning guns as a chore either. People tell me I am OCD but I am just meticulous.

I don't need to clean my plastic guns but I do anyway. I clean after every range day, and clean them after being in the elements (Alaska), and just because. So, I don't mind cleaning more than I shoot because it gives me the time to do a quick inspection.

Something I learned in the Marines, take care of your weapon, and it will take care of you.

7PI
07-22-11, 07:20
Should you clean after every range trip? Would it hurt anything if you did?

I like to shoot but I don't see cleaning guns as a chore either. People tell me I am OCD but I am just meticulous.

I don't need to clean my plastic guns but I do anyway. I clean after every range day, and clean them after being in the elements (Alaska), and just because. So, I don't mind cleaning more than I shoot because it gives me the time to do a quick inspection.

Something I learned in the Marines, take care of your weapon, and it will take care of you.

I clean my carry gun after every time I fire it and even if I don't I still go over it once a week and re lube it.

I see no reason to not clean your guns everytime if that is what you prefer. By this I mean field stripping. Avoid the detail stripping that everyone seems to have gotten into and save that for regular maintenance intervals.

I once made the mistake of showing a friend how to take her Glock all the way down. She then proceeded to do it every week after she fired it. :suicide2: Ultimately she wore out the pin holes on the frame and made a sloppy and unsafe gun. 1911's are better for that type of detail stripping, but do it only when needed.

To clean is nice...to shoot is Bliss.