PDA

View Full Version : 2 inch adustable vented gas block

wirezend
07-17-11, 21:19
I have been looking to find something like this, but can not find one that suits my taste. So, I have designed one myself and plan on producing them. What I would like is your input on how much of a demand there would be for these. I have designed mine using the figure "8" configuration, two inches long with a long sloping front end. Is anyone else looking to buy something like this? What Materials do you prefer, Aluminum or Steel? What coating would you prefer, phosphate, black oxide? What price range do you think would be fair for a gas block with those materials?

I have discussed this with a manufacturing company and am contemplating having a batch of these made if the demand is there.

Thank you for your input.

cj5_dude
07-18-11, 13:01
I don't get it at all! Pictures? What's it's purpose?

mikeahe
07-18-11, 13:51
WTF That makes no sense at all.

msstate56
07-18-11, 13:54
What? I think we need more information and detail. Pictures are required. How does it adjust? What was your purpose for designing this? How is your gas block different than what is currently available? What advantages does your block offer?

See my point?

mtdawg169
07-18-11, 17:35
If you think aluminum is even a remotely suitable material for a gas block, then I would say not interested.

thehun
07-18-11, 19:49
Vented gas block? WHAT:suicide2: I smell a TROLL...

wirezend
07-19-11, 18:40
Not a troll, simply gathering data on how much of an interest is out there. The block will be adjusted via a set hex screw on the side. Adjustments can be made so that only the gas needed to cycle properly and reliably is used and the rest is vented forward and down. You could adjust for say, using a more powerful round, or using a silencer, or even close the vent for using less powerful rounds.

I only mention aluminum as an alternative for a lighter block, would titanium be worth the substantial increase in cost? I wish to manufacture something reliable and cost effective but if the demand is there for a higher end gas block of Titanium, I will make it.

I will try to get my drawings scanned and posted by tomorrow. Please understand these are just rough drawings and not blueprints. Proportion is off.

cj5_dude
07-19-11, 19:15
Here's the problem with you're talking about....

First of all adjustable gas blocks always have inherant issues. The adjustment screws seize and usually they always fail. So they're low in demand. Then why do you want to vent gas out of the gas block? That gas already goes out the end of the barrel. Why are you trying to make it more complicated and vent it more? You're over thinking all of this!

ARPATRIOT
07-19-11, 19:27
zollen?

Artiz
07-19-11, 19:40
zollen?

That's what I was going to say...

ARPATRIOT
07-19-11, 19:55
That's what I was going to say...

He posted this with drawings on TOS too.(prob. many other forums also)

thehun
07-19-11, 20:01
There is already whats called a SWITCHBLOCK by noveske....

kartoffel
07-19-11, 20:04
Build a couple as one-offs. Shoot the shit out of them. Have fun and learn. Share your experiences here too, if you like.

Then come back and with the experience and wisdom from your testing, market the gas block that you feel is best.

wirezend
07-19-11, 20:29
I am not Zolen or whatever. I work in a plant that manufactures parts for military weapons. I am basically wanting to build something like the PRI adjustable gas block but make it longer for those of us who use to have A2 front sights.

I checked out the switchblock, it is a short block (not at all what I am suggesting) and is $200.

As for reliability and usability, here are some reviews on an adjustable gas block http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=775354

Manufacturing one off's is VERY VERY expensive compared to running a batch of the same product.

I am wanting to know if anyone besides myself would be interested in purchasing this type of gas block and what materials and coatings they would prefer. I would appreciate your input on THIS topic.

cj5_dude
07-19-11, 20:51
But why do you want to vent gas out of the gas block? You'll take velocity out of the round for no benefit. What does this fix that other adjustable gas blocks don't?

wirezend
07-19-11, 21:02
But why do you want to vent gas out of the gas block? You'll take velocity out of the round for no benefit. What does this fix that other adjustable gas blocks don't?

The gas goes through the barrel, then the gas block, then through the gas tube and is used to actuate the bolt carrier. Once the bolt carrier is moved, that same amount of gas vents into the upper receiver (you loose that gas whether vented forward, or to the bolt carrier or not even using a gas block). The pressure of the gas is what determines the speed at which your bolt carrier will move. You will lose roughly the same amount of gas no matter what set up you have. It will make almost no difference to the bullet velocity. Venting the gas at the gas block allows you to fine tune the pressure that actuates the bolt carrier and thus speed of the bolt carrier action. You will not loose any more gas pressure to the bullet one way or the other. Fine tuning the gas pressure allows for less wear and tear on your bolt carrier and recoil plunger and spring. It also allows for you to slow down your cycle when you are cycling too quickly (repeated jamming).

Also, when you use a silencer, it causes a higher barrel pressure and thus a higher gas tube pressure. This causes a harder cycle on your bolt carrier. Venting that gas and lowering that pressure allows your bolt carrier to cycle at normal speeds even when using a silencer.

ARPATRIOT
07-20-11, 06:31
I am not Zolen or whatever.

I must be mistaken,VERY sorry if i am.It's just that these were all posted the same day as well ;)
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Gas-Pressure-Protection-S-t106663.html
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=603763
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/542525_Gas_Pressure_Protection_System.html

rob_s
07-20-11, 06:38
I have thought about messing with that PRI part on a dedicated suppressed gun but I don't know if it will fit under a rail or not.

Todd.K
07-20-11, 10:08
A silencer does not cause higher pressure in the barrel, it holds pressure longer.

Artiz
07-20-11, 12:24
I will try to get my drawings scanned and posted by tomorrow. Please understand these are just rough drawings and not blueprints. Proportion is off.

So, can we see those drawings, I can copy them from your post on THR if you like... :lol:

TMS951
07-20-11, 12:36
Why would you want to vent out extra gas vs. just limiting the amount that goes into the action?

Based on the fact you think venting is a good idea I will pass.

Dave_M
07-20-11, 13:17
There is already whats called a SWITCHBLOCK by noveske....

I've always thought a 3-position switchblock would be great

No, not with an, 'off' more like
-Low (for suppressed fire--ideally would short-stroke with quality ammo without a suppressor attached)
-Normal
-Adverse (on the SCAR I call the Adverse setting the, 'Wolf setting' :lol: )

The problem is that it'd likely have to be individually tuned so it'd be cost prohibitive.

wirezend
07-20-11, 22:19
Ok, attached picture file, don't laugh at my crappy drawing skills.

Underwhere
07-20-11, 22:28
I've always thought a 3-position switchblock would be great

I already have one:
Normal
Suppressed
Full vent (no cycling of bolt)
http://i55.tinypic.com/jpkd90.jpg

wirezend
07-20-11, 22:32
I already have one:
Normal
Suppressed
http://i55.tinypic.com/jpkd90.jpg

Nice, unfortunately I'm looking for a low profile version. How do you like yours? Had any problems with it?

Underwhere
07-20-11, 22:43
Nice, unfortunately I'm looking for a low profile version. How do you like yours? Had any problems with it?

I'd actually like more positions for to have more minute adjustability.
Other than that it works great.

Dave_M
07-20-11, 23:01
I already have one:
Normal
Suppressed

Yeah I have zero use for an 'off' of any kind. Basically I want
a little
normal
a lot

Brian1/75
07-21-11, 01:30
I'd like to see a switchblock that would fit and extend out, so I can reach the adjustment under most free floating rails like say the DD RIS mk18.

wirezend
07-23-11, 17:58
I'd like to see a switchblock that would fit and extend out, so I can reach the adjustment under most free floating rails like say the DD RIS mk18.

So perhaps if I replaced the screw set adjustment with a finger adjusting peg, with a valve set up, with detents and a ball and spring retainer to hold against the detents that would be better? And perhaps move the adjustment towards the front of the block so it is easier to reach?