PDA

View Full Version : Vltor A5 buffer, battle comp, G3 gun trigger on 11.5

Pappabear
07-18-11, 00:57
Went to an indoor range with a buddy, he asked me to bring my A5 to check it out. The combination of BC and A5 is just smooth as silk. There is just no way to describe how good the gun felt. No muzzle rise, no jerk, no movement. Felt like shooting a rifle except better, and lighter.

My hat is off to Vltor on this one. The only downside is thinking, shit I want this on 3 other guns. That will just have to wait.

Robb Jensen
07-18-11, 06:24
The A5 is a great design and with a comp/brake even better which is why I've recommended for a long time.

huntsimp
07-20-11, 03:24
Just the buffer, or whole stock system?

Iraqgunz
07-20-11, 04:36
You have to have the receiver extension and buffer at a minimum. You can use any stock and you can use a rifle spring.

Just the buffer, or whole stock system?

Duffy
07-20-11, 07:49
TangoDown's PR4 takes up the gap between the stock and receiver when using a longer receiver extension, it's both functional and aesthetically pleasing :p

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/TD2.jpg

jonconsiglio
07-20-11, 10:15
I took my SR15 and mk18 out this weekend. I've switched back to flash hiders for now from Triple Taps. My mk18 actually shot as soft or softer than my sr15.. Switch back to the standard re on another lower for the KAC didn't make a huge difference, but still noticeable. On the SBR's, it really shines.

Pappabear
07-20-11, 13:28
So, is it less noticeable on 16 inch guns in general.
Was thinking of one for my LMT 16 ? maybe not

How bout suppressed 11.5? Still GTG?

cymax
07-20-11, 13:54
so from my understanding one can used the A5 buffer A5 extension and rifle length spring and this would work with any stock ?

Iraqgunz
07-20-11, 14:28
earth to PB. What do you think my SBR is? You have shot it before.

Iraqgunz
07-20-11, 14:29
Tube diameter is the milspec standard carbine. So you pretty much can use any stock on it.

so from my understanding one can used the A5 buffer A5 extension and rifle length spring and this would work with any stock ?

jonconsiglio
07-21-11, 10:55

It's still noticeable, but there's other things that really make it a nice addition as well. I was a bit shocked at how little my 10.5" moved, it stayed right on target with just the slightest shake, and this was the standard buffer with the A5. In the past, I tried a couple different ones with my friend's 10.5".

Here's what I really like about it.... Let's say you have only one SBR'd lower and run a 16" on it occasionally or a 14.5" but switch to a 11.5" or 10.5".... At least in my case, all I had to do was switch the upper and the standard A5 ran it all, suppressed and not. Most of the shooting I did was with my SR15 upper with Iraq Ninja's Halo but then shot a little unsuppressed then my 10.5 for maybe 5 mags. The ammo used was steel cased 55 grain Monarch .223, 75 grain TAP 5.56 and 77 grain Nosler for hunting and some zeroing once we were close with the 55 grain.

Now, I know you don't know me from the next guy, and regardless of what Iraq Ninja says or claims he witnessed, I'm actually quite experienced and usually at least appear to know what I'm doing.... I expected to have to tweak something going between those uppers. When I was leaving, I finished off a mag through the SR15 back on it's lower (which went back to the standard RE while I'm waiting on a few parts) and the internals of it feel a little smoother when cycling by hand and don't make that Vltor noise, but when firing the A5 felt smoother.

So, even though the 16" guns with the longer gas systems might not feel like there's as much of a difference as the SBR's, it still makes it more reliable and much more consistent when using a can or switching between the weakest and most powerful loading, etc.

I'd say the A5 is one of those things that is a go on almost any gun, except the occasional 14.5" middy, which then only needs that new A5 buffer with one less tungsten than the standard. Really just a great all around system.

Edit - Since your 16" LMT has a carbine length gas system, there will probably be a noticeable difference compared to a mid length or KAC length.

Jon

ReaperAZ
07-21-11, 11:05
After doing a lot of reading and talking to a few that use the A5 system it will be what is on my next AR set up for sure. Heard nothing but good things about it. Now I just need to decide if I am going to dabble into the SBR world on the next one or just do another 16".

Pappabear
07-21-11, 13:28
earth to PB. What do you think my SBR is? You have shot it before.

I know but your's is an Airsoft. These are different. :D Just joshing Bro, stay safe! I hope they gave you more than an AK & Rem 870 this time.

jonconsiglio, thats good stuff. Thats the situation I will be in. Swopping from one upper to another, can and no can, good ammo- shit ammo.

Iraqgunz
07-21-11, 14:49
I have an M92 (Serbian shorty AK) and a CZ99. We also have Serbian M21's available as well. Since I am within the compound I don't have to worry much about it. :p

I know but your's is an Airsoft. These are different. :D Just joshing Bro, stay safe! I hope they gave you more than an AK & Rem 870 this time.

jonconsiglio, thats good stuff. Thats the situation I will be in. Swopping from one upper to another, can and no can, good ammo- shit ammo.