PDA

View Full Version : Dark Earth or Tan M4's?

GaryO
07-18-11, 19:01
Who makes or sells 'em? Thanks...

Quentin
07-18-11, 19:06
You can make 'em yourself or buy 'em from just about anyone.

Casull
07-18-11, 19:10
LWRC has their line of rifles with an FDE option.

I have also seen some Noveske and Knights armaments sold this way too except in tan. (I think)

Spike's tactical had a run of tannish "Brown recluse" rifles but they are no more.

If you are looking to get a tan or FDE rifle, to me your best bet is to actually take your gun in to be re-finished or painted.

Personally I like the FDE Daniel Defense has on their rails. USAnodizing can refinish almost any part and they for sure can do a color-specific job. I'm getting my lower done by them in the future to match my rail. (Though, if I find someone more convenient who can do it I'll use them :D)

underwoodbitsandspurs
07-18-11, 19:32
Knesek Guns has FDE Colt rifles.

duece71
07-18-11, 19:40
BCM EAG tactical..............do I have to say more????

rushca01
07-18-11, 19:51
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo356/rushca01/photo-1.jpg

This was painted with Aervoe coyote brown.

C-grunt
07-18-11, 20:32
Rattle can = any color you want

saddlerocker
07-18-11, 20:44
S&W M&P15 MOE also.

txbrenek
07-18-11, 20:44
Rattle can = any color you want

Yep works every time :sarcastic:

C-grunt
07-18-11, 20:53
Here is Krylon tan and OD green.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/003-4.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/001-4.jpg

Kentucky Cop
07-18-11, 21:48
Check out accurate armory. They are making nice tan/brown rifles.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Accurate-Tool-Firearms/100001729491094KC

KC

Dunderway
07-18-11, 22:07
People are giving the standard "Krylon" answer, but I have asked the same question as the OP several times.

If Daniel Defense can offer nice FDE anodizing for the same price as black on their rails then why aren't they, and others offering this on uppers/lowers/completes? If it can be done for the same cost (I don't know if it can) then why hasn't the entire industy shifted this way?

I'm not going to spray paint my HD carbine, but if it would have been available in anodized FDE instead of black I certainly would have chosen that option.

ETA: I assume the OP isn't just talking about FDE furniture, or a $300 Gunkote job. I'm not.

hickuleas
07-18-11, 22:19
I bought a complete Noveske rifle in FDE. And i remember they didn't sell very fast.

Fox
07-18-11, 22:20
I have a Mega Machine Gator that is in FDE. I didn't know they made em. Anyone have any info on this? It is marked Multi cal as well..

careboy
07-18-11, 22:35
LWRC has their line of rifles with an FDE option.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/18.games.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
07-19-11, 01:49
KAC will produce Tan/FDE rifles and carbines once in a blue moon. They tend to fetch more than the industry standard black.

Robb Jensen
07-19-11, 07:28
Most companies don't offer FDE anodizing or any other color other than black because it's hard to keep the color consistent. Then you would have more than 1/2 of your rifles sent back because people would be bitching that the color of the upper and lower doesn't match 100%, to the window lickers of the world shit like that matters.

96 SS
07-19-11, 07:44
One other reason you don't see it a lot is that true mil spec anodizing for aluminum is type 3. Natural type 3 coloring is a dark grey in color, and like other anodizing has do be dyed to achieve colors. You can only go darker, not lighter with this process.

So if you want an anodized tan lower you usually don't get proper mil spec anodizing, but rather a type 2 that offers much less protection.
Most people making tan receivers paint or coat them, thus preserving type 3 protection and light colors.

JasonM
07-19-11, 07:51
Most companies don't offer FDE anodizing or any other color other than black because it's hard to keep the color consistent. Then you would have more than 1/2 of your rifles sent back because people would be bitching that the color of the upper and lower doesn't match 100%, to the window lickers of the world shit like that matters.

This is unfortunately probably the biggest issue currently.

GIJew766
07-19-11, 13:39
As has already been said, the spec for anodizing is type 3, and type 3 really doesn't make for a great "light colored" finish. A good cerakote (or gun kote or duracoat or whatever coating) job you want is the best bet. Either that, or a rattle can.

H

Kchen986
07-19-11, 13:58
I remember seeing LWRC and Spikes offering "Tan" anodized rifles. However, the color between the upper and lower would often times vary. Resulting in idiots yelling about my "gold" upper and my "dark-tan" lower.

In my personal experience, I've felt that the tan anodizing was a little softer compared to the black anodizing. It may just have been perception, though.

scoutfsu99
07-19-11, 14:11
Same difference as people crying about the different colors on a Scar. I personally like the variations. I also liked LWRC's original MRE color.

GIJew766
07-19-11, 14:35
In reference to the LWRC rifles:

Were the Type 2 anodized in the tan or were they Type 3 and then coated in an FDE cerakote or whatnot?

H

GaryO
07-19-11, 15:09
Thanks for the cousel. I must say, though, that I don't understand why it is necessary for some to ridacule others who have been unhappy in the past about thier purchases. How does that help? I would hate to see another AR15.com attitude develop here; most of you folks here remain helpful and understanding...
Thanks again...

Kchen986
07-19-11, 15:31
Thanks for the cousel. I must say, though, that I don't understand why it is necessary for some to ridacule others who have been unhappy in the past about thier purchases. How does that help? I would hate to see another AR15.com attitude develop here; most of you folks here remain helpful and understanding...
Thanks again...

Because the person in question did not even purchase a rifle. He saw some pictures of a MRE rifle for sale, then raised a huge fuss over at LWRC forums, before going to TOS and raising the same fuss when the colors appeared different in photographs. I suspect that's partially why some manufacturers moved away from light colored anodizing. There seems to be variances in color from batch to batch.

Re: LWRC MRE Finishing--it seems like it's Type 3 anodizing.

Now though, they cerakote over type 3 black anodizing.

JasonM
07-19-11, 15:38
Thanks again...

Don't take this personally as it's not directed at you, but

it's not ridicule of people and their purchases, but it IS a statement about the majority of AR owners (not on this site) being more concerned about upper/lower wobble, scuffs on their case deflectors, colored-in F/S markings and whether or not all their various FDE metal parts match in color, than they are about how the thing shoots and getting the training/practice to use it effectively.

i would argue the opposite of what you assert- that it is very much an attitude from the other site that keeps manufacturers from offering FDE (or close) annodizing. MOST users here would be like "F it, it looks brown, and works great, I'm gonna shoot the piss out of it" rather than post up catalogs of photos under headings like "does my upper look bronze?" "why doesnt' my rail match my grip?" etc...

To be more helpful and understanding- if you want a consistent and even color on your gun (that isn't black), you'll need to go the gunkote/ cerakote, MolyResin, etc, route.

GaryO
07-19-11, 15:48
And can't folks be concerned about the subject of thier own experience without others belittling them? Why is any of this your business, anyway? Let folks be. If they make fools of themselves, let them do it without rationalizing those snotty comments that are more suited to a bunch of middle school girls and not grown men with a common interest in AR's. The end...

40Arpent
07-19-11, 15:56
I would hate to see another AR15.com attitude develop here...

What attitude it that? The one where a couple shades difference between the upper and lower receivers makes for a world of butthurt?

wetidlerjr
07-19-11, 15:59

Indeed it does ! :D

fdxpilot
07-19-11, 16:27
And can't folks be concerned about the subject of thier own experience without others belittling them? Why is any of this your business, anyway? Let folks be. If they make fools of themselves, let them do it without rationalizing those snotty comments that are more suited to a bunch of middle school girls and not grown men with a common interest in AR's. The end...

If a guys is entitled to think a slight difference in color between his upper and lower makes his rifle defective, I'm just as entitled to think he's a moron. We are, after all, talking defensive rifles, not designer handbags. :rolleyes:

mikeahe
07-19-11, 16:54
I agree, and I do like the term 'window likker