PDA

View Full Version : Proper placement of optics...???

JrFreak
07-18-11, 22:46
Hi all, I just picked up my last piece of optics for my Stag 2TL... an EoTech G23 magnifier to go along with my EoTech EXPS3-0.

My question... Is there any rules or guidelines to follow on where these should be mounted? Can the HWS be mounted on both parts of the top rail? Meaning partly on the upper and partly on the floating rail? How about the distance between the HWS and the magnifier? How close can the magnifier be to my eye without getting whacked by it? My flip up rear sight seems to interfere with the magnifier. To clear it, the magnifier needs to be more forward which makes the view circle smaller. Mounting it closer to my eye optimizes that view circle.

Any info helpful. I'm an AR noob. This is my first. Thanks!

sevin8nin
07-18-11, 23:07
Any pics?
What rear sight?

Ideally it's best to keep all optics on the upper receiver, not bridging the gap to the handguard. The magnifier should be over the rear sight closer to your eye fit a proper eye relief. The optic and magnifier should remain close to each other for clarity.

MistWolf
07-19-11, 00:13
Take the rifle to the range and shoot it with the optic mounted in different places until you find the one you like. Then shoot it some more to verify. You might find that the optic being mounted to clear the rear sight will work just fine

matemike
07-19-11, 00:22
I'd stick with the above answers so far, but also say that there is not a real right or wrong answer....just shoot it and figure it out. You be the judge on this one as it is really is all personal preference.

Well there are some right and wrong ways

Right: if you can see through it, hit what you're aiming for and not get smakced by it

Wrong: if you can't get a sight picture, you can't hit shit with it, or if you are getting bloody eyebrows, you're doing it wrong.

13MPG
07-19-11, 00:28
I run my XPS as far forward on my receiver as possible. My dad runs his as far back as his rear sight allows. Go out and shoot the gun and see what works the best for you.

JrFreak
07-19-11, 00:34
Thanks for the replies. I played with various setup postions and they all seemed to work. Seems like a pretty forgiving system.

When I say the rear sight interferes I mean I need to keep the magnifier close enough to my eye to get optimum field of view. It's fine as long as I keep the sight down, but flipping it up is the issue. Can't use it unless I remove the magifier... which is OK I guess.

PSmitty1
07-19-11, 01:16
You could get a flip out mount for your magnifier. It will alow you to move the magnifier out of the way without removing it from the rifle.

ra2bach
07-19-11, 10:30
I would not run any optic on the floating rail. (although as I type that it is obvious to me that many front iron sights are placed there but on the ones that I have, these are back-up iron sights, not the primaries.) nonetheless, I certainly wouldn't bridge the gap between the rail and the receiver.

that said, optics placement with a magnifier is going to be pretty much dictated to you as there is not a lot of room on the receiver.

good luck...

JSantoro
07-19-11, 10:46
Do what you can to keep the EO on the upper receiver itself, and not on the railed forearm.

If you simply MUST put it on the forearm, put it all the way on the forearm, and do not bridge the gap between upper and forearm.

Everything else is basically a personal fit issue, as mentioned already.