PDA

View Full Version : Kahr pm45 yes or no?

kingballs
07-18-11, 23:37
Thinking about picking up a pm45 for myself and a pm9 for my wife on a good deal both new, but a good deal dose not mean much to me if we can not bet our life's on them. My main concern is the pm45 yes I know it has a kick to it :-) Any hands on experience with these weapons? Please let me know your opinions on these guns.

Thanks

bassman2
07-19-11, 23:06
I picked one up last year just for those times when you can't conceal a bigger gun, and still want a 45!

First thing I did was put 300 rounds through it at the range - all in 1 session. Combo of FMJ and hollow points. (Rangers I think) I had one failure to feed in the second mag. Then no more problems at all.

I shoot it every so often - still runs without malfunction. Granted I've not shot a full handgun course with it - not sure I'd want to... but it does work and it conceals very very well. I use a comp tac minotaur.

Bottom line - I trust mine, and my PM9 and P380 all fine handguns.

1911-A1
07-19-11, 23:59
My girlfriend bought one, and found that it hurt her wrists to an intolerable degree. She can shoot the 1911s all day long, but the light weight of the PM45 combined with the thin grips was pretty unpleasant to shoot, even for me. It carries really well, but it wasn't a fun gun to shoot.

lebowski
07-20-11, 09:55
IMO, no.

A range buddy has one and I find it a bear to shoot, with slow follow up shots. I'd rather have a pm9 by a mile.

Cazwell
07-20-11, 23:54
Tried the 45 for a little while... no problems at all, but consolidated to 9mm. Still have the pm9 (it's my wife's primary carry) and a p9. I think she has about 1200 rounds through hers and never a malfunction. All our Kahrs have been great.

varoadking
07-21-11, 20:36
Personally, I think mine is about the perfect carry piece, and accurate as hell.

YMMV

lethal dose
07-21-11, 21:11
i'm an advocate of kahr pistols. are they "glock killers"? no. but the fill a very specific role... well.

jjw
07-22-11, 16:51
i have been carrying 1 and shooting it for over a year. with speer gdhp
no better small compact .45 exits to my knowledge.

i carry a compact m&p 45 for serious work
8 in the gun and 14 in the spare only 2 short of my commander and i love it also if someon (baggage handlers) steal it no big loss

the kahr is a perfect back up
.45 bullet
very small tho not pocket size in tite pants but good in 511 rear pocket
palomar
looooong smooth trigger pull.
not going off on a 21/2# trigger

those 2 dont get much better

cool extra

all my m&p compact holsters fit the kahr
did not have to buy a single holster
Mitch rosin
blade tec
comtac

go for it

PA PATRIOT
07-22-11, 17:32
As we all know situational awareness, fast draw and accusation to target with accurate fire and fast follow up rounds decide most gun fights.

Heavy recoil with a PM45 means reduced speed in follow-up shots as you recover your grip and shooting angle to target. One must be able to control the pistol to make accurate hits before the bad guy hurts you.

Pistols are poor stoppers even with the best ammunition so one must have the ability to make multiple hits fast and if the PM45 beats one up so much while shooting thats its not practical to properly train then IMHO would say this may not be the best pistol for some.

Find the pistol in a caliber you shoot best, train religiously and pick one of the loads in DocGKR's list and that will help you save your own life when the time comes.

varoadking
07-22-11, 19:11
...if the PM45 beats one up so much while shooting that its not practical to properly train...

It doesn't...

PA PATRIOT
07-23-11, 00:26
I shoot it every so often - still runs without malfunction. Granted I've not shot a full handgun course with it - not sure I'd want to...

My girlfriend bought one, and found that it hurt her wrists to an intolerable degree. She can shoot the 1911s all day long, but the light weight of the PM45 combined with the thin grips was pretty unpleasant to shoot, even for me. It carries really well, but it wasn't a fun gun to shoot.

IMO, no.

A range buddy has one and I find it a bear to shoot, with slow follow up shots. I'd rather have a pm9 by a mile.

I concur with the above posts and find the PM45 hard to shoot well due to heavy recoil. I use a Colt .45acp for IDPA events, and I carry a Glock Model-21SF on duty everyday and fire thousands a rounds a year out of both so I think it is safe to say I'M familiar with the caliber and what it takes me to master same. Now I'M now saying the PM45 is a bad pistol but it will take much more training to master then most are willing or able to do.

TCB
07-23-11, 21:38
I keep a PM40 on me at my shop, The 40 is snappy (more so than the 45?) but really not bad. If you shoot handguns allot it really is not hard to handle even with the small/light frame.

sdacbob
07-24-11, 13:23
I have a CW45. It has less kick than either of my full size 1911's and I have small hands. I did have some issues with it at first but it runs very well now.

1_click_off
07-24-11, 21:24
I have owened a PM45 for about 4 years. When first fired it, it would stove pipe on just about any ammo. It hated WWB, I tried 5 different JHP ammo and still had issues. I returned it to the dealer and they were not able to do anything with it. I called Kahr and they sent me a new recoil spring. I installed it and it would coil bind and I could not chamber a round. Called Kahr back and they said the springs are trim to fit. So I remembered that my original spring would not allow me to clear an unfired round very easily. So I summed it up to coil bind and being too stiff for any ammo and on Kahr's recommendation I started clipping the original spring 1/8 coil at a time.

I now love the gun. I would not get rid of it. I carry my PM30 with a TLR2-S in a raven most of the time, but when I need to down size I carry the Kahr in a crossbreed.

I would go for it. If you don't like it, you can always sell it and get some of your money back.

It does have a looooong trigger reset as it is DAO and the recoil is more than normal.

If someone with a weaker grip fires it, be sure they are aware of the recoil. My brother in law double tapped it a couple different times and now is scared to shoot it. I am also scared for him to shoot it. You only get one face.

I have had about 1200 rds through it now and it runs great. They are high maintenance as they like to be clean and well lubricated.

If you think you will have trouble with follow-up shots, look at the P45 as it has a longer grip/barrel and is easier to control.

varoadking
07-29-11, 21:09
I carry my PM30...

What's a PM30?

1_click_off
07-30-11, 08:21
What's a PM30?

PM is an acronym for Preventive Maintenance. I work in preventive maintenance and have been conditioned to type the M after the P.

I meant to type P30.

pinzgauer
07-31-11, 18:06
I have a CW45. It has less kick than either of my full size 1911's and I have small hands.

I carry a well used P40, and can run plates with it about as fast as I can with a 1911 in .45 or 10mm. It helps if you have have lot's of revolver time in addition to 1911's, the DAO trigger throws many. But get used to it, and it's deadly.

The small/narrow grip stings the hand more, but recovery is pretty fast as it does not rock as much as a 1911. That and very low bore to CG height.

It's my optimal CC pick, especially for temperate areas where it's shirtsleeve weather most of the year.

Early versions usually got replacement springs, or a trip back to the factory. But once broken in have proven very reliable. (usually 500 rounds to settle in)

I've found most of the folks deriding Kahr P series have never shot them, much less worn them.

Cazwell
08-04-11, 14:27
PM is an acronym for Preventive Maintenance.

I meant to type P30.

No pun intended? :)

Dionysusigma
08-04-11, 15:21
I carry a CW45 most of the time, and agree with everything said above (even the contradictory statements). :D Recoil is harsh, and initially it didn't work reliably, but now I run it almost as well as my tuned Sig P220. The Kahr really is that accurate. It also disappears under summer attire a lot easier than anything else I have. Only thing it might still need is a slide melt job, since it's kinda torn up the inside of its holster, and a few more magazines.

forgiven
08-04-11, 17:45
Negative.