PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 Mk 319 Performance

Altair
07-19-11, 09:36
Is there a write up on the Mk319 ammo anywhere? If so, I wasn't able to find it.

I'm primarily interested in the terminal performance but would like to see barrier performance, muzzle velocity, BC, and expansion threshold velocity as well.

Hootiewho
07-19-11, 17:24
Is there a write up on the Mk319 ammo anywhere? If so, I wasn't able to find it.

I'm primarily interested in the terminal performance but would like to see barrier performance, muzzle velocity, BC, and expansion threshold velocity as well.

No writeup that I'm aware of (I guess I should do one myself), but I will say this is a wicked little round from my limited experience. I've shot it in water from about 3 yards and it expands nicely. I have shot 1 hog with it and it did a remarkable job. I have shot groups with it out of both my SCAR 17 and my REM M700, and the results were almost identical to what has been posted about the MK318 ammo, 7-8 of a 10 shot group will be nice and tight and 2-3 will be off (and no its not the shooter). I guess that's why it's for sale to the general public? It definitely behaves more like a hunting bullet than a FMJ mil bullet.

I have the local car glass shop saving me a few windshields to try them out on glass when I get a chance. I say its a good alternative to the lighter TAP loadings.

Rayd8
07-19-11, 17:36
Did you see this?

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2009infantrysmallarms/tuesdaysessioniii8524.pdf

Stump70
07-19-11, 18:12
Thats what I was going to give him ray. Altair, since there is limited info I've basically had to reverse engineer the Mk 318's I've been loading, you might have to do the same. By the pics I've seen, the Mk 319's are loaded to the top of the "driving band,"so that puts you in range of COAL. Velocity was 2900fps out of a 16"barrel, so that gives you a reference to build up a round.

Molon tested some Mk 318's and when chrony'ed they came out of a 14.5" barrel at around 2900. I shot some this last weekend at a more slower speed and they grouped better than going fast it seemed. Sorry, no bigger charge loads to compare pics, but trust me, it groups better going slower. Not sure of fps, but 23gr is slow.
It takes about 26 grains to get in the 2900 range for my rifle.

1x9 CL 14.5"
100 yards w/ cheap but reliable 4x scope
W748

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Stump701/DSCF1794.jpg

And just like Hootie said, the flyers.

Hootiewho
07-19-11, 19:20
The Mk319 bullet pretty much stuck together when shot into a 55 gal drum of water. Now I realize this is totally unscientific, but with so little available one has to do what one has to do. The retrieved bullets very much resembled a tradition hunting round or gold dot bullet.

The Mk318 I shot into the drum, same distance 3ish yards (from atop a ladder) all did the exact same thing, the top copper portion and lead fragmented, separating from the bottom copper slug. This was fired from a 10" SCAR 16. So I imagine atleast up close, this round would be pretty effective too. I do believe I would take both of them over M855 & M80 and day of the week.

morbidbattlecry
07-20-11, 07:50
Pretty much imagine a 308 soft point. Its on par with that. Its going to make a mess out of whatever it hits.

Altair
07-20-11, 23:07
The Mk319 bullet pretty much stuck together when shot into a 55 gal drum of water. Now I realize this is totally unscientific, but with so little available one has to do what one has to do. The retrieved bullets very much resembled a tradition hunting round or gold dot bullet.

The Mk318 I shot into the drum, same distance 3ish yards (from atop a ladder) all did the exact same thing, the top copper portion and lead fragmented, separating from the bottom copper slug. This was fired from a 10" SCAR 16. So I imagine atleast up close, this round would be pretty effective too. I do believe I would take both of them over M855 & M80 and day of the week.

Do you have any pics of the expanded bullet? Any expanded diameter measurements or an idea of how many inches of water it penetrated?

rsilvers
07-31-11, 20:18
It is going to be the best military legal bullet, but not as good as the best commercial bullet such as Remington 150 grain Ultra-Bonded Core-Lokt.

Altair
08-01-11, 09:59
It is going to be the best military legal bullet, but not as good as the best commercial bullet such as Remington 150 grain Ultra-Bonded Core-Lokt.

I certainly don't expect it to perform like a bonded bullet or a TSX, but I can get them for 1/3 to 1/4 the price.

QuietShootr
08-01-11, 10:27
I certainly don't expect it to perform like a bonded bullet or a TSX, but I can get them for 1/3 to 1/4 the price.

Where?

rsilvers
08-01-11, 10:49
If they cost you less than a Hornady 155 grain, then I would get them. If they cost more, I would just get the Hornady.

Altair
08-01-11, 14:26
rsilvers, the 155gr Hornady was going to be my go to bullet until I ran across the Mk319 projectiles. It was the lower cost of the 319's that sparked my interest.

QuietShootr, the source I have for the bullets hasn't openly advertised so it will be up to him if he wants to make them available. I'll see what he says.

WS6
08-02-11, 09:26

Do you mean that the front of the slug broke into a few pieces and detached, or do you mean it was a lead and copper snow-storm?