PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my SP-1 Carbine:

Det-Sog
07-19-11, 10:56
Pardon if this has been covered. I did look back through the posts.

I got a new Colt, now it's time to upgrade my old SP-1. I have the 16" pencil barrel. The upper is the "won't fit anything else" big hole.

Is it worth it to stick an H-buffer in it, or leave the stock carbine buffer in it?

My barrel is in much better shape than I thought with many years left on it. I will probably just keep the carrying handle upper, as my options are limited while remaining all Colt original. I put an A2 flash hider on it, and added rails where the round hand guards were.

If I go this way, I'll just stick an AP Micro in the carrying handle. This old one is so fun to shoot. It's been collecting dust since I got my Christmas present this year.

Any other ideas? This one is now the B/U, as well as the Wife's to use.

Rider79
07-19-11, 17:52
If its running fine with the carbine buffer, there's no reason to change it. Other than putting the Micro on, I'd put a sling and a light on it and call it a day.

Kuiper
07-20-11, 06:34
Just get a separate M4 upper for this baby... I would not do anything to the SP1 upper...

A1 versus A2 flashhider... IMHO not worth the wrenchtime.
Carryhandle optics...sitting too high above the barrel, something to consider if shooting at extreme close distances..

Advantages to get a seperate upper, a plethora of barrels, upper receivers and compensators to choose from (battlecomp seems to work for most). Freefloating railed handguards and the option of mounting the micro on the upper sitting much lower than on a A1/A2 carryhandle..

And you keep you A1 SP1 upper 100% original.... just my two cents.

The Cat
07-20-11, 10:37
If you've got a new one, I would leave the old one alone.

Det-Sog
07-20-11, 10:44
If you've got a new one, I would leave the old one alone.

Possible. Option #2 is that I just put all the original parts back on it. I kept everything over the years.

Thanks for the ideas so far. This thing has a lot of life left in it.

Ssarge
09-11-11, 09:53
In it's original condition it's worth more. I would leave it alone and enjoy it's old school charm!

derek45
09-11-11, 12:06
I would leave the upper stock.

Old COLT's are becoming collectable.

Get an adapter and use any another upper you like.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24948/sku=231-015-016/ttver=1/Product/AR_15_M16_RECEIVER_ADAPTER

http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/products/p_231015016_1.jpg

kmrtnsn
09-11-11, 13:38
Daniel Defense makes a flat top big pin upper for your SP1. It works a lot better than offset pins.

Det-Sog
09-15-11, 14:55
I just decided to keep it original. I can't ever sell it, as it was my faithful patrol partner for close to ten years while I patrolled and did field work. It was great piece of mind as I waded off into many hairy situations over the years. Thank you, my old friend.

I ended up getting a new Colt... I'll revert the old back one to original condition.

SIMBA-LEE
09-16-11, 10:25
I just decided to keep it original. I can't ever sell it, as it was my faithful patrol partner for close to ten years while I patrolled and did field work. It was great piece of mind as I waded off into many hairy situations over the years. Thank you, my old friend.

I ended up getting a new Colt... I'll revert the old back one to original condition.

What I would do if you want to update a mite but don't want to ruin the original is:

Install an Aimpoint or 3x Colt VietNam era scope (or similar) on the handle, add a Cherokee plastic snap-on raised cheek piece and that's it.

centurian9126
11-20-11, 18:05
I've upgraded mine, subtly though. I replaced the thirty year old buffer spring with a springco blue carbine buffer spring, spikes tactical T2 buffer, five coil extractor spring, O ring and black insert, and a blackhawk two point sling.