PDA

View Full Version : MD - $1 per bullet tax proposal.

Irish
07-19-11, 17:21
Otis Rolley said he would, if elected, propose a $1 per bullet tax on all bullet purchases in the city. (http://www.wbaltv.com/r/28595846/detail.html) My suggestion would be not to vote for him.

Zhurdan
07-19-11, 17:38
WOW....

While the courts have consistently ruled against significant gun control legislation, there is still a way to decrease crime: substantially increase the cost of its commission," Rolley's plan states.

"Increasing the cost of guns won't work, because many criminals don't purchase new guns, and they can be borrowed or even rented in some areas," his plan states.

Read more: http://www.wbaltv.com/politics/28595846/detail.html#ixzz1Saqw1mmc

Just WOW!!! Can't remember who said it, but they were right. "There's no need to outlaw guns... just make it impossible to buy ammo for them."

Anyone know where I can rent a gun and take it with me outside the store? One more indication that he's an idiot, or having his strings pulled by idiots.

GermanSynergy
07-19-11, 18:03
He can bluster all he wants, Maryland has preemption (one of the few protections gun owners in this state have).

In the event that such a law was passed, it would be entertaining to see Alan Gura rake him over the legal coals.

Sounds more like a sound bite to get his pea brained voting base riled up.

I don't know of too many places that even sell ammunition within Baltimore proper.

The idea is so stupid even Maryland libs are mocking him.

kartoffel
07-19-11, 18:05
As a former Pennsylvanian who used to head below the Mason-Dixon line for cheaper booze, I welcome any Marylanders coming up I-83 to buy ammo. :D

Heavy Metal
07-19-11, 18:14
Since Heller, this basically constitutes a Poll tax.

Not only would it NOT stop the sale of a single round of ammuntion, it would incur significant legal fees for the city when it inevitably failis in it's soon to be earned 1983 Suit for deprivation of civil rights.

wahoo95
07-19-11, 18:35
WOW....

Just WOW!!! Can't remember who said it, but they were right. "There's no need to outlaw guns... just make it impossible to buy ammo for them."

Anyone know where I can rent a gun and take it with me outside the store? One more indication that he's an idiot, or having his strings pulled by idiots.

There are places where one may rent/borrow a gun, however those places arent the legit types of businesses that you may be thinking about. Its for that very reason that proposals such as this make no sense whatsoever. These are the types of ideas to be expected from anyone who doesnt know guns....I have several friends who think the same way as that guy.

elkknuckle
07-19-11, 20:56
WOW....

I believe it is Chris Rock who you were quoting!

Robb Jensen
07-19-11, 21:31
The fact that they're trying to use a tax restict or to make unaffordable something I beleive in itself is unconstitutional but I might be wrong. IIRC NFA could be challenged on this but hasn't....YET!

ForTehNguyen
07-19-11, 22:17
he does realize you can buy ammo online right?

damn a box of .22LR would cost $15 + $550 tax :D

GermanSynergy
07-20-11, 00:00
The fact that they're trying to use a tax restict or to make unaffordable something I beleive in itself is unconstitutional but I might be wrong. IIRC NFA could be challenged on this but hasn't....YET!

Maryland has preemption- this will go nowhere.

Trajan
07-20-11, 08:34

It is unconstitutional, but that doesn't stop them.

Look at Tobacco taxes.

Heavy Metal
07-21-11, 21:37
The possession of Tobacco is not a Supreme Court established Civil Right.