PDA

View Full Version : I need a new pack, very specific features

M4arc
08-15-06, 09:25
I need a new backpack but I have some specific features in mind. Maybe no one makes one like this but it’s worth a shot:

- Smaller than a three day pack, maybe something in the overnight-two day size.
- Built in laptop sleeve
- MOLLE panels on the inside (I can take or leave them on the outside)
- Doesn’t need a H2O bladder but it’s definitely a bonus if it has one.

Am I asking for too much here? The most important features are the laptop sleeve and the MOLLE panels. Color is not important as long as it's not pink, magenta or lime green. Any ideas or suggestions?

Neeglik
08-15-06, 10:15
I'm no gear guru, but I've never seen such a beast. Maybe have some custom work done?

M4arc
08-15-06, 10:32
After I posted that I started digging around and I found two possibilities:

The Kifaru Marauder and the R.A.I.D. (I found pictures of your R.A.I.D. on LF)

The Marauder might be too big and I'm not sure if you can get padded waist straps/belt for the RAID?

I also found the Kifaru Holster Adapter and a Wilderness Safepacker holster that will allow me to carry my G19 on (or in) my pack as well. The Marauder also has a bladder sleeve but after thinking about what I'll be carrying 100oz of water might be a bit too much to add to the mix. So far the RAID looks promising but I need more pictures, especially of the inside.

molsen
08-15-06, 10:33
- Built in laptop sleeve
- MOLLE panels on the inside (I can take or leave them on the outside)
These two requirements haven't been implemented into a pack together yet. It's going to have to be one or the other, but not both.

Neeglik
08-15-06, 10:39
RAID (you can get a waist belt for it)
*no molle on the inside
*not smaller than a three day

Marauder
*not smaller than a three day

Existing packs that are smaller than a three day, that immediately come to mind (as I'm wanting one too):
Camelback Hawg and Talon
Maxpedition Falcon II

dubb-1
08-15-06, 11:06
Nothing currently mass produced fits your criteria. You need a custom kit.

I own a RAID, and I love it. But it is, what it is. And it is not what you specified.

molsen
08-15-06, 11:51
Another option you might want to consider is just picking whatever pack you think will work best, and then get a seperate laptop sleeve or hardshell for the computer.

I just ordered a new laptop the other day ago, so now I'm looking for something similar to the needs you posts above. Right now I'm thinking of just getting a hardshell for the laptop and continuing to use my FSBE 2 pack to lug it around in.

Diz
08-15-06, 20:10
I would go with Kifaru. Call up Mel and tell him what your requirements are. They have several new sizes and might even have a pouch for your laptop that would rig into internal PALS webbing on the back wall.

Derek_Connor
08-15-06, 23:22
Call Gene at High Speed Gear. I am sure he can help.

eggroll
08-16-06, 14:59
The custom route has come up, and as a custom builder my advice is to go KIFARU, and BUY a separate laptop sleeve. This option would represent your best $$ value and just as an additional push, what you describe will easily cost the roughly same as the Kifaru from the range of competent gear builders.

Cheers
EGG

DBautista
08-17-06, 21:23
M4arc,

Everyday I drive by LBT to and from work, I think you mentioned you live in KG area, youre right by LBT.

I have been wanting to see what thier moving sale is all about, I having been wanting a pistol rug with a suppressor pouch. I might have to do that tomorrow.

Check them out... They do make some custom stuff too!

Hoplophile
08-18-06, 01:57
I recommend the laptop sleeve in a pack of your choice. All packs I've seen with a built-in sleeve were IMO poorly designed. They always seem to be designed by laptop case designers rather than pack designers.

For the past several years I've been using a laptop sleeve in a Jan Sport day pack and have been very happy with it.

M4arc
08-18-06, 10:50
Great advice guys, thanks!

DBautista - I do live by LBT and I drive (or ride) by it at least twice a day. And not once have I thought about stopping in there and asking them. DOH!

You must be close to me as well and Dinger doesn't live too far away. We need to meet up some time and put some rounds down range.

DBautista
08-18-06, 16:47
Cool...

I live in Kempsville!

Policetacteam
09-13-06, 16:30
I would strongly recommend something from Maxpedition. As stated above I don't think you are going to find something exactly fitting the bill but their packs are very well thought out and well built.

http://www.maxpedition.com/product/catalog_backpack.htm

Boris
10-23-06, 21:14
M4arc,

Not sure why you want the MOLLE on the INSIDE, but that's your business. Good luck in finding that and let us know if/when you do. I'd agree with the suggestion of picking up a hardshell for your laptop needs. Targus makes good laptop bags, but they don't double as two-day packs.

I just picked up something at this weekend's C&E gunshow that is identical in features to the Maxpedition Vulture II except without the hydration pocket. It's brand new and [refreshingly] brand-annonymous. Maybe it's a Maxpedition reject where they forgot to stitch the logo on the bag, but at $45 cash and carry, it's exactly what I was looking for. Never rule out a good ol' gun show for that hard to find item.

http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_bp_vulture2.htm

-Boris

davemcdonald
10-23-06, 21:58
I have a Marauder and love it. My wife carried it when we were hiking in NM in July. After carrying it for 12 miles in the mountains she said without a doubt it was worth every penny that I paid for it. I went back to CO and NM hiking last month and took it with me again. You can't go wrong with a Kifaru.

Dave

03humpalot
11-06-06, 13:40
Diamondback has a new offering that might fit your bill as well. I have not ran this but my company bought like 25 of their SOF packs to use as med bags and they have performed well for over 2 years with no failures.

Here is a link to the computer insert.http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/BattleLab-Laptop-Computer-Insert-P1967C191.aspx

I use a Marauder with a Blackhawk padded laptop case and have had no problems with my set up.