PDA

View Full Version : Templar: Mosin Nagant 91-30R 7.62x54R

SkyLine1
07-20-11, 10:53
Looking for info on the 1917-1931 Mosin Nagant 91-30R 7.62x54R. Is it worth the small investment for a range gun IE easy ammo availability and reliability?

Came across a few and know nothing about there history so thought why not get a no BS assessment from a knowledgeable source.

Thanks for your time.

J_Dub_503
07-20-11, 14:48
I have a 91/30 from 1937 and I love it. $100 boom stick and 440 rounds of 7.52x54 ($90) is a steal. How many rifles out there cost $100 and are accurate, reliable, and affordable to shoot.

Do yourself a favor and get (at least) one. Whether you shoot the shit out of it or let it collect dust in the closet it's well worth the $.

Also, to remove the cosmoline use Simple Green.

If you have ever seen the movie Enemy at the Gates this is the rifle that Vasily Zaitsev (Jude Law) use's along with nearly all Soviet infantry.

taylodr
07-20-11, 14:54
I have the M44 - which is extremely similar. Same deal - cheap and pretty accurate. Ammo is also cheap. A lot of the cheap stuff is corrosive though, but a bit of cleaning when you get home (soap and water) and no problem. You can even find soft points for hunting.

kartoffel
07-20-11, 18:49
Cheap. Tough. Corrosive ammo. For what they cost, you should totally pick one up.

There's a ton of information at http://7.62x54r.net/

mrbfromd
07-26-11, 22:55
I have one from 1924 and it shoots better than some rifles costing 10 times as much. You can't go wrong with one of them, they are amazing.

TOrrock
07-26-11, 23:10
Can't add a whole lot more to what these guys have posted.

Lots of history in those rifles. I've not run across stripper clips that actually work well though.

If you've got $100.00 then why not?

TOrrock
07-26-11, 23:51
Get your Stalingrad on...... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWdvWANgBsw&feature=related)

:ph34r:

GermanSynergy
07-27-11, 01:23
The only drawback to Mosins is the fact that they tend to multiply on you.

I started with a '44 Finn and ended up with an M38, multiple M44's, M 91-30's and a cherry M91-59 :cool:

Seriously, you can't go wrong. If firearms like these interest you, you may wish to consider getting your Curio & Relic FFL. Cost is $30 for 3 years.

P2000
07-27-11, 01:40
Ammo for them is still incredibly cheap...like 80 bucks for 440 rounds. It is a fun blaster. I shoot mine a few times per year.

Slater
07-27-11, 08:22
This was $98 OTD at this past weekend's Crossroads Show in Phoenix. It's a 1927 hex-receiver version, with serial number matching bayonet:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/001-26.jpg

rojocorsa
07-27-11, 12:41
There was a thread about Mosins here from 3-4 weeks ago. OP, check it out:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82003

Eurodriver
07-27-11, 14:40
Please don't "sporterize" it if you get one.

NC_DAVE
07-27-11, 16:04
From what I have read the Hex are better made than the round receivers. But is the difference is that great. i local store is selling the round for 99 dollars. Every other store is a little bit more around here. I can order one from a different store in NC (round 74, hex 89), but then I will need to pay a least a 25 dollard transfer fee. So my question is the quality that much greater in the HEX than the round?

mini4m3
07-27-11, 18:14
From what I have read the Hex are better made than the round receivers. But is the difference is that great. i local store is selling the round for 99 dollars. Every other store is a little bit more around here. I can order one from a different store in NC (round 74, hex 89), but then I will need to pay a least a 25 dollard transfer fee. So my question is the quality that much greater in the HEX than the round?

Hex vs. round isn't so much the question as time of peace vs. time of war. The quality of the wartime production round receiver guns aren't on par for late war Japanese small arms but there were some small changes to expedite the production process.

Round or Hex, they're both great quality guns and most likely will out live you so get what you want (read: get both types!)

TOrrock
07-27-11, 20:34
I think the round receivers are actually a little more desirable, for me, because of the war time production.

Some of the 1942 and 1943 dated receivers literally look like Ivan was taking a belt sander to the receiver during production. With Hans and Fritz running over the Motherland, they were throwing them out of the factories as fast as possible......and they most definitely saw active service.

That's not to say that they are unsafe.....all the internals are good to go, but you'll see a lot of tool marks on the receiver that is cosmetic only.

rojocorsa
07-28-11, 02:18
As others just said, there are no basic differences in hexes and rounders.

I own examples of both (because that's the stuff I could afford last year).

I love my refurbed '31 Izzy the most, but my very fist own gun was a rough-ass trusty '43 Izzy, even if I overpayed for it (for circumstances beyond my control at the time).

The only difference really is the the age of the rifles. Up until 1936, all Mosins were hexes. After that year, they decided on a round receiver to simply the manufacturing process. Also, these pre-war round receivers are as nicely made as the early hex 91/30s. I'll vouch for this myself, since I got my buddy to buy a '39 Tula which I compared side by side to my '31 Izzy Ex drag. The high wall receiver is there, as is the nicer machining for the clip guides.

The quality of the wartime production round receiver guns aren't on par for late war Japanese small arms

Where could I see more information on this?

As Templar said, the internals are good to go, and that's what matters. I can personally vouch for this as can many other people that shoot these a lot. My '43 is the gun I've shot the most besides my .22 CZ. And boy, it has the matching bolt, and that mother****er sure is smooth in there. It's like a bolt action AK!

In fact I will say that they are the AKs of bolt actions. They're dead simple (the bolt on has six major pieces, the FCG has like 4 parts) and rugged. And the barrel doesn't feel that long after you get used to it. Also, the recoil isn't that bad. For what it is (a combat bolt gun) you get a great price:firepower ratio.

Also, it's one of the few things you can get from century and not expect to be a POS.

One thing that I have noticed over the last year is that the price of the carbines has been increasing. I think the standard price for an M-44 is at $200+ these days, and an M-38 probably goes for more. Even the 91/30s will go up in value someday, so don't bubba them. Most of those end up looking shitty anyway.

I feel like putting up some pictures, because at this point in time it's rate when I can actually talk about guns I use and own. (That's right, never shot an AR; at least I can afford a nice Arsenal AK now).

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg42/scaled.php?server=42&filename=coll005.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg571/scaled.php?server=571&filename=intpics004.jpg&res=medium
Here's a receiver just the way Templar likes them!

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg31/scaled.php?server=31&filename=moshex003.jpg&res=medium
Here's my beautiful '31.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/284655_1449509615294_1759851430_692835_2748145_n.jpg

The middle and right one are mine; the one on the left is the '39 that I mentioned earlier that belongs to a buddy.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/267495_1449513295386_1759851430_692837_1312366_n.jpg

kartoffel
07-28-11, 14:12
The only difference really is the the age of the rifles. Up until 1936, all Mosins were hexes. After that year, they decided on a round receiver to simply the manufacturing process. Also, these pre-war round receivers are as nicely made as the early hex 91/30s. I'll vouch for this myself, since I got my buddy to buy a '39 Tula which I compared side by side to my '31 Izzy Ex drag. The high wall receiver is there, as is the nicer machining for the clip guides.

I concur. The round receivers could have their outside surfaced turned on a lathe, whereas the hex ones needed 3 angled flats milled into the steel. Going to a round shape was mainly a cost-cutting change that really doesn't affect strength or weight.

I've got a '39 Tula as well, yet it is pretty rough. The bore is dark and pitted, and the bolt is only force matched. When it was rearsenaled after WWII, they took a different bolt, struck out the original serial # on it and re-stamped it to match. Anyway, it's rough but it works.

Don't overlook the Finnish variants, either! You never know what you're going to get with a Soviet Mosin, but the Finnish rifles universally got more TLC in manufacturing and in later armorer/gunsmith work done on them. Besides, Enemy at the Gates is Hollywood sensationalism. You want an M/28 like Simo Häyhä.

rojocorsa
07-28-11, 14:49
I concur. The round receivers could have their outside surfaced turned on a lathe, whereas the hex ones needed 3 angled flats milled into the steel. Going to a round shape was mainly a cost-cutting change that really doesn't affect strength or weight.

I've got a '39 Tula as well, yet it is pretty rough. The bore is dark and pitted, and the bolt is only force matched. When it was rearsenaled after WWII, they took a different bolt, struck out the original serial # on it and re-stamped it to match. Anyway, it's rough but it works.

Don't overlook the Finnish variants, either! You never know what you're going to get with a Soviet Mosin, but the Finnish rifles universally got more TLC in manufacturing and in later armorer/gunsmith work done on them. Besides, Enemy at the Gates is Hollywood sensationalism. You want an M/28 like Simo Häyhä.

Interesting on your '39 Tula. Sounds like it went through hell and back. Even if it's rough, does your receiver still have that curvy part on the left side of the receiver? Because on the war rifles, it seems that this part was just left unmachined.

Enemy at the Gates, while a cool movie, is just sensationalism, I agree. It annoys me how people look at it as a history lesson. I've read works where they explore the idea that the legendary sniper duel could have pretty much been only Soviet propaganda. But Zaitsev was a real person, no doubt about it.

I concur with kartoffel on the Finn Mosins. Though I've never shot one myself, I know a thing or two about these and they are all around great.

The Finns basically took older Russian Imperial Mosins and updated them. They have better furniture, sights, and an actual two stage trigger. I don't they're as cool looking as the Soviet ones, but that's besides the point.

If you are interested in a kick-ass shooter, you can probably even find one of those unissued Sakos from the late '60s. No doubt about it, the Finns are the most accurate military Mosins. They do cost more, but for logical reasons. Hell, I probably ought to pick one up myself sometime before they're gone.

Slater
07-28-11, 14:58
Some of the early production M91/30's (and maybe some later ones too) were converted Dragoons, so some folks look for those for the history invloved. I need a Tula M44 for my little collection (they were only produced at Tula for one year - 1944), but those tend to be a bit pricey.

rojocorsa
07-28-11, 15:10
Some of the early production M91/30's (and maybe some later ones too) were converted Dragoons, so some folks look for those for the history invloved. I need a Tula M44 for my little collection (they were only produced at Tula for one year - 1944), but those tend to be a bit pricey.

Yeah, the older looking ex-drags are cool, especially because they have the older markings with different symbols on the shank. What's weird is that the 91/30 became official in 1930, but ex-dragoons were still made until 1932. My '31 Izzy hex is technically and ex-dragoon. If you have any Soviet Mosin dated from 30-32, all you have to do is check underneath the rear sight base, and should you find a gap in the dovetail, you have an ex-dragoon. Recall that the older Mosins had a different RSB hence the extra space.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg534/scaled.php?server=534&filename=coll007.jpg&res=medium

If you look at a WWII rifle for example, you should find that the dovetail will be flush.

TOrrock
07-28-11, 16:02
Finnish M39 built on a 1899 Russian Sestorysk Arsenal receiver with a FN barrel made in Belgium in 1942 by the Germans to help the Finns kill Russians.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Range%202-04-07/Range2-04-07008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/FDF/FinnishM39005.jpg

rojocorsa
07-28-11, 19:04
That piece has a nice pedigree...

How does it group?

scoob
07-28-11, 19:05
I have only shot one personally once (it was awesome) but I work at a local GS and we sell tons of them. Not one complaint so far from anybody. It's a steal.

SkyLine1
07-28-11, 23:14
Thanks for the replies gents. I found some not far from me for $179, so that seems high according to your experiences.

Slater
07-28-11, 23:49
That sounds quite high. Most can be found in the $100-130 range, unless it's some rare variant (like an Albanian, or some such).

Travis B
07-28-11, 23:52
Thanks for the replies gents. I found some not far from me for $179, so that seems high according to your experiences.

That's outrageous for a 91/30. Keep looking, they're still out there for a decent price (double digits). I was lucky enough to score a Finn M91 with tractor belt sling for $80 last year.

NC_DAVE
07-29-11, 02:25
I believe Classic Arms has 91/30 round for 75, and hex for 85. For 10 extra bucks you can request one built by Tula. I don't know if it being made by Tula really makes it any better. I am sure some one else here can answer that question. I just picked one up from a local store for 99. I figured after transfer fees and shipping it would be about the same. They also have 440 round for 89 dollars as well.

TOrrock
07-29-11, 06:31
http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=254&name=Curio+%26+Relic+Firearms

GermanSynergy
07-29-11, 06:32
http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=254&name=Curio+%26+Relic+Firearms

Must.....resist....urge to renew...C&R license......:help::cool:

rojocorsa
07-29-11, 12:09
I believe Classic Arms has 91/30 round for 75, and hex for 85. For 10 extra bucks you can request one built by Tula. I don't know if it being made by Tula really makes it any better. I am sure some one else here can answer that question. I just picked one up from a local store for 99. I figured after transfer fees and shipping it would be about the same. They also have 440 round for 89 dollars as well.

Tulas are more collectible because of lower overall production numbers. It's a collector's issue mostly, no real difference in performance.

swsmailman
07-29-11, 12:26
After looking through this thread, must resist urge to purchase a M44 Carbine from AIM.....

I have a 1942, Izhevsk made. All matching Serials with perfect wood except for one nick in the stock.

Only thing I have bought for it is a surplus Nagant sling that I found on amazon.

On a topic of ammo for these.
Has anyone had any problems with the Steel Wolf ammo for these?
I am getting at least 4 rounds per box that will not fire?
Everyone that does that has a nice strike on it from the firing pin so I do not believe it is something the rifle is doing.

I have not tried any other ammo for it yet since I bought 200 rounds of the wolf when I bought the rifle and I am just trying to use it up first. Guess I should try some others....

I also love the http://7.62x54r.net/ website, the Mosin Nagant Data Sheet in PDF is a great thing to fill out, really helps you to learn all about your rifle.

rojocorsa
07-29-11, 16:56
After looking through this thread, must resist urge to purchase a M44 Carbine from AIM.....

I have a 1942, Izhevsk made. All matching Serials with perfect wood except for one nick in the stock.

Only thing I have bought for it is a surplus Nagant sling that I found on amazon.

Everyone that does that has a nice strike on it from the firing pin so I do not believe it is something the rifle is doing.

I have not tried any other ammo for it yet since I bought 200 rounds of the wolf when I bought the rifle and I am just trying to use it up first. Guess I should try some others....

I also love the http://7.62x54r.net/ website, the Mosin Nagant Data Sheet in PDF is a great thing to fill out, really helps you to learn all about your rifle.

Like all Soviet rifles, steel cased should be OK.

The one thing though, is that you must absolutely ensure that the chamber is 100% free of cosmoline when you first clean it out. The cosmoline starts to run when the rifle gets hot and that can create iffy extraction problems.

Just like for 7.62 AKs, the Yugo mislurp ammo in x54R is really nice. It comes in a brass case and with an FMJ BT lead core copper jacket bullet. It should be a tad more accurate than standard Russian light ball, but there's nothing wrong with that one either.

As for your misfires, maybe it was a bad batch? :confused:

NC_DAVE
07-29-11, 20:35
I last night I clean my 91/30 for the first time. I took the bolt completely apart, took the wood off as well as barrel and reciever. I tired my best to clean all the cosmoline off the wood metal and inside the chamber. After reading this thread it has made me worried I did not clean the camber well enough. I used rags, patches, q-tips, hoppes 9, and denatured alcohol on the extrier metal. The patches, and rags seem to be clean. I also heated the chamber up with a hair dryer and wipped it out. It appears to be clean, but I am not sure. It there anything else I could do to make sure before I shoot it. Any suggestions would be nice.

Travis B
07-29-11, 22:09

Check your bolt. On the back of the safety, there is a flat head slot cut across the entire safety mechanism, and having the slot aligned with the slot in the firing pin screw is essential for a functioning Mosin. The manufacturers cut this to make it easier to have the correct amount of firing pin showing after disassembly.

If the firing pin is too far forward it could technically poke a hole all the way through the primer, blowing powder out the opening; and if it isn't in far enough it won't hit the round effectively every time--which is what could be the issue in your case. Even if it's not the case, it's smart to check it. And the way you describe it, it probably is the ammunition, but still check the slot alignment. I've used Brown and Silver Bear in mine and never had an issue, and they're basically the same manufacturer, right?

Here's a picture to show you what I meant about the slot being aligned. Overlook the loop safety, it's the only picture I could find on the 'net.
http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/safe-close.jpg

Travis B
07-29-11, 22:16
The one thing though, is that you must absolutely ensure that the chamber is 100% free of cosmoline when you first clean it out. The cosmoline starts to run when the rifle gets hot and that can create iffy extraction problems.

IMO, slaving away over cosmoline isn't absolutely necessary. Sure, wipe out the chunks, but it will still function with a bit still on the rifle. Whenever I would get a new one, I would wipe off the excess cosmoline and shoot it until it got hot. Then the excess comes off easily, so just wipe it off, too.

Extraction problems? It's a bolt action.

NC_DAVE
07-29-11, 22:16
Does the bolt always screw back flush like in the picture? Just wanted to make sure since I took mine a part for the first time.

Travis B
07-29-11, 22:19
I last night I clean my 91/30 for the first time. I took the bolt completely apart, took the wood off as well as barrel and reciever. I tired my best to clean all the cosmoline off the wood metal and inside the chamber. After reading this thread it has made me worried I did not clean the camber well enough. I used rags, patches, q-tips, hoppes 9, and denatured alcohol on the extrier metal. The patches, and rags seem to be clean. I also heated the chamber up with a hair dryer and wipped it out. It appears to be clean, but I am not sure. It there anything else I could do to make sure before I shoot it. Any suggestions would be nice.

Just shoot it! This is 100+ year old technology here. It was designed to be simple enough for mass production to make it to the hands of troops with no formal experience on almost any weapons. Like I just mentioned in my reply to rojocorsa, don't slave away over getting every drop of cosmoline. Aside from the cancer, it won't kill ya.

Travis B
07-29-11, 22:27
Does the bolt always screw back flush like in the picture? Just wanted to make sure since I took mine a part for the first time.

Yes. Do you remember how it was the first time? If not, and if you're unsure that the firing pin is extended the right length, get one of these: http://www.tdwsales.com/catalog/item/236228/6760489.htm

The combo tool has cut outs to measure how far the firing pin should stick out.

rojocorsa
07-29-11, 22:31
IMO, slaving away over cosmoline isn't absolutely necessary. Sure, wipe out the chunks, but it will still function with a bit still on the rifle. Whenever I would get a new one, I would wipe off the excess cosmoline and shoot it until it got hot. Then the excess comes off easily, so just wipe it off, too.

Extraction problems? It's a bolt action.
I've not had too much problems with my rifles. But on the mainstream gun boards, people often times complain about "sticky bolt" syndrome on their Mosins. Some people blamed it on using lacquered ammo, but I thought that was BS. Most agree that it's due to a dirty chamber.

I guess I don't "slave away" either, but I just make sure that the chamber and bore are sufficiently clean.

Yeah, it should be like that.

Though I thought those two notches were to facilitate re-assembly, and not so much a headspace issue. If the bolt were to be taken apart and then reassembled with the screw perpendicular to the notches, you wouldn't be able to, since the firing pin won't line up correctly with the long bar that it goes into.

:confused:

Travis B
07-29-11, 22:37
Yeah, it should be like that.

Though I thought those two notches were to facilitate re-assembly, and not so much a headspace issue. If the bolt were to be taken apart and then reassembled with the screw perpendicular to the notches, you wouldn't be able to, since the firing pin won't line up correctly with the long bar that it goes into.

:confused:

Yeah, I was sleepily incorrect in saying "headspace" in my original post, so I edited it. I actually meant that it was to make sure the firing pin extended correctly.

Sorry!

NC_DAVE
07-29-11, 23:06
I got one of those tools when I bought my rifle. But I am not sure how to use that tool to check the firing lenght on the bolt.

Travis B
07-30-11, 10:24
I got one of those tools when I bought my rifle. But I am not sure how to use that tool to check the firing lenght on the bolt.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

Scroll down just over half way down the page to the "Reassembly" section. Firing pin should touch the "75" section but not touch the "95" section.

MistWolf
07-30-11, 15:50
...Don't overlook the Finnish variants, either! You never know what you're going to get with a Soviet Mosin, but the Finnish rifles universally got more TLC in manufacturing and in later armorer/gunsmith work done on them. Besides, Enemy at the Gates is Hollywood sensationalism. You want an M/28 like Simo Häyhä.

If I ever get a Mosin, it will be a Finn. Haake Päälle!

Travis B
07-30-11, 17:03

The attention to detail in a Finn is amazing. My M91 had a shimmed receiver and free-floating barrel.

NC_DAVE
07-30-11, 17:40
Thanks for the link. I think I got it, the tool I got has alot of wear. I dont even know if it has markings. I did notcie they gave me 2 tools but no chamber brush( as I have seen with other kits people buy).

I would maybe get a finn in the future but the price of 99 or less in what really made me pick one up. I will see how I like this first one and go from there. I had honeslty had not thought of buying a mosin until this thread came up.

rojocorsa
07-31-11, 02:48

This isn't the first time I've seen that phrase, what exactly does it mean?

Travis B
07-31-11, 08:27
This isn't the first time I've seen that phrase, what exactly does it mean?

According to partisan50 on FALFiles, it is a Finnish battle cry that literally means "cut them down."

TOrrock
08-01-11, 00:31
http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8970

kartoffel
08-01-11, 12:12

It should be flush. There's pretty much only one position where both the slot aligns *and* it sits flush. Also, you can use the notches on the Mosin multipurpose tool to check bolt protrusion.

GO: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d85/Claven2/mosin%20bolt%20tutorial/IMG_3446.jpg

NO-GO: http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/clean/Bolt_Protrusion_Test.jpg

Jos ei viina, terva ja sauna auta, niin tauti on kuolemaksi.

swsmailman
08-01-11, 14:10
AH HA!!!

After getting around to reading this and the replies about my post and others, I pulled the bolt out of mine and checked it, It was not sitting flush, and checking with the gauge pretty much made it clear that it was probably a firing pin problem, so i took it apart, made it flush on the end. Once I get it back together and rechecked with the gauge, it was perfect. Guess the real test will be getting back on the range and putting a box of rounds through it.

Also, I noticed that I said Wolf ammo, that was wrong, I am using the Brown Bear steel cased ammo in mine...

Kinda like what my grandpa says when we are doing carpentry work, measure once cut twice, measure twice cut once. Guess I should have checked it twice before I put it all back together after my first cleaning after bringing it home.

Travis B
08-01-11, 14:12
AH HA!!!

After getting around to reading this and the replies about my post and others, I pulled the bolt out of mine and checked it, It was not sitting flush, and checking with the gauge pretty much made it clear that it was probably a firing pin problem, so i took it apart, made it flush on the end. Once I get it back together and rechecked with the gauge, it was perfect. Guess the real test will be getting back on the range and putting a box of rounds through it.

Also, I noticed that I said Wolf ammo, that was wrong, I am using the Brown Bear steel cased ammo in mine...

Kinda like what my grandpa says when we are doing carpentry work, measure once cut twice, measure twice cut once. Guess I should have checked it twice before I put it all back together after my first cleaning after bringing it home.

Hopefully we could help. Keep us updated

prdubi
08-05-11, 11:17
I have a Finnish SAKO m39 and a russkie 1927 Hex receiver and Hungarian made m44.

So far they are all very accurate for the money, great looking rifles especially the Finnish and Hungarian.

I installed the Huber Concept trigger for the Finnish and it is lovely with a 3 pound trigger running around it.

dexvx
08-06-11, 16:28
I have a 91/30 from 1937 and I love it. $100 boom stick and 440 rounds of 7.52x54 ($90) is a steal. How many rifles out there cost $100 and are accurate, reliable, and affordable to shoot.

Where do you get 400 rounds of 7.62x54 for under $100?

Travis B
08-06-11, 16:36
Where do you get 400 rounds of 7.62x54 for under $100?

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/7.62x54mm

dexvx
08-06-11, 21:25
Ah, I see. I was looking at the non-surplus (current production) 7.62x54 and they were a step up in price compared to the surplus stuff.

Now I just need to find a 91/30 near me.

BamaM4
08-13-11, 23:36
Ah, I see. I was looking at the non-surplus (current production) 7.62x54 and they were a step up in price compared to the surplus stuff.

Now I just need to find a 91/30 near me.

Best deals are liable to be on the net....All but one of mine came from the internet and all are astounding shooters.

rojocorsa
08-20-11, 14:33
If I had to buy modern production 7.62 Russian, I'd get it here (http://palmettostatearmory.com/762-54R-ammo.php). Their pricing seems to be quite decent given the fact that their .303 and 6.5 Swd also cost this much. Since I usually order this in 100 round increments, the total is liek $82 shipped, which means $0.80/round. I think that's pretty good considering PSA is the only other place I can get this kind of stuff for that price.

If one can find Yugo Surplus, he should get it, as it's practically the best surplus. Dealing with the corrosive isn't too bad of a proposition either.

Travis B
08-20-11, 16:32
If I had to buy modern production 7.62 Russian, I'd get it here (http://palmettostatearmory.com/762-54R-ammo.php). Their pricing seems to be quite decent given the fact that their .303 and 6.5 Swd also cost this much. Since I usually order this in 100 round increments, the total is liek $82 shipped, which means $0.80/round. I think that's pretty good considering PSA is the only other place I can get this kind of stuff for that price.

If one can find Yugo Surplus, he should get it, as it's practically the best surplus. Dealing with the corrosive isn't too bad of a proposition either.

The Prvi SP was absolutely horrible in my Mosin.

brushy bill
08-24-11, 22:17
Is there a source anyone knows of where one could locate a M28/30 rifle like Simo Häyhä used?

TOrrock
08-24-11, 22:30
Is there a source anyone knows of where one could locate a M28/30 rifle like Simo Häyhä used?

Scour the C&R discussion forums, like gunboards.com and several others.

If you were on the east coast, in VA/WVA/MD, the Nation's Gunshow at the Dulles Expo Center tends to bring dealers from all over, and I see a surprising number of Finn Mosin Nagants, and other high end C&R dealers.

TOrrock
08-26-11, 16:35
I can resist anything except temptation.....just ordered a few from AIM Surplus.

GermanSynergy
08-26-11, 19:55
I can resist anything except temptation.....just ordered a few from AIM Surplus.

I used to own 30 or so Mosins..... Yep.... I had the C&R bug for a long time...

warpigM-4
08-26-11, 20:39
I got one for a friend Not long ago and it had almost a Golden Finnish it was Beautiful

DemonRat
08-28-11, 21:02
Thank you for posting about the Mosin. I have been wanting one for some time now. This has helped me in so many ways to make that final decision on getting one. I do have one question for you all. How does it fair for large game animals like elk. Anyone use there Mosin for hunting elk. What ammo do you use and why. I know SP would be preferred as FMJ's would just go thru the beast. I am kinda new to the Mosin and have done some research on the internet but would like some answers from personal experience anyone have some. I have gone to all the websites posted on this thread but no real answers as to the use for hunting elk. This is why I would be getting one not to just shoot it but hunt with it also as all my rifles are for both. Shooting and hunting with them is why I buy rifles bigger then a .22.

TOrrock
08-28-11, 21:20
Thank you for posting about the Mosin. I have been wanting one for some time now. This has helped me in so many ways to make that final decision on getting one. I do have one question for you all. How does it fair for large game animals like elk. Anyone use there Mosin for hunting elk. What ammo do you use and why. I know SP would be preferred as FMJ's would just go thru the beast. I am kinda new to the Mosin and have done some research on the internet but would like some answers from personal experience anyone have some. I have gone to all the websites posted on this thread but no real answers as to the use for hunting elk. This is why I would be getting one not to just shoot it but hunt with it also as all my rifles are for both. Shooting and hunting with them is why I buy rifles bigger then a .22.

Graf & Sons offer Finnish Lapua soft point hunting ammo, as well as some Serbian (Prvi Partizan) and Sellier & Bellot (Winchester USA).

The Finns hunt large game regularly with that caliber, as do the Russians.

I'd say it's probably similar to a .308 Winchester load.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/235?

DemonRat
08-29-11, 15:38
Graf & Sons offer Finnish Lapua soft point hunting ammo, as well as some Serbian (Prvi Partizan) and Sellier & Bellot (Winchester USA).

The Finns hunt large game regularly with that caliber, as do the Russians.

I'd say it's probably similar to a .308 Winchester load.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/235?

Thanks Templar. Appreciated the link. They have reasonable prices too.

Travis B
08-29-11, 16:16
Thanks Templar. Appreciated the link. They have reasonable prices too.
Make sure you order a few boxes of different types and bullet weights. My Finn hated PPU 150gr soft point.

TOrrock
09-05-11, 17:02

Took my M91/30 out today for our Labor Day shoot. I specifically ordered a round receiver from AIM hoping to get a war time production piece, as the ones I've seen from '41-'43 or so look like Ivan used a belt sander to finish the receivers...just a reminder that Hans and Fritz were stomping all over the Motherland but that they were still cranking these things out as fast as possible.

Well I paid the extra for hand pick and got exactly what I was hoping for.

1943 production, all matching (real matching, not electro pencil force match) numbers, with a beautiful bore that has no pitting or frosting.

I degunked it last night, took it out today.

It was minute of steel at 100 yards off hand, worked great. The actions on these won't ever compete with a Mauser for smoothness, but it got the job done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Album%202/Soviet%20M91-30%20Mosin%20Nagant/P1060199.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Album%202/Soviet%20M91-30%20Mosin%20Nagant/P1060200.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Album%202/Soviet%20M91-30%20Mosin%20Nagant/P1060201.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Album%202/Soviet%20M91-30%20Mosin%20Nagant/P1060202.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Album%202/Soviet%20M91-30%20Mosin%20Nagant/P1060205.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Album%202/Soviet%20M91-30%20Mosin%20Nagant/P1060206.jpg

And "Old Man Templar" (my father) trying mine out. He got one as well, but is patiently waiting on me to clean it before he shoots it. Age hath it's privileges. :big_boss:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Album%202/Soviet%20M91-30%20Mosin%20Nagant/P1060148.jpg

GermanSynergy
09-05-11, 17:11
Nice!

Got any M91/59's in your collection?

TOrrock
09-05-11, 22:06
Nice!

Got any M91/59's in your collection?

I do not....I have the Finn M39 and this M91/30. I'd like to have a Finn M91 or M91/30 rework.

LHS
09-06-11, 01:20
Took my M91/30 out today for our Labor Day shoot. I specifically ordered a round receiver from AIM hoping to get a war time production piece, as the ones I've seen from '41-'43 or so look like Ivan used a belt sander to finish the receivers...just a reminder that Hans and Fritz were stomping all over the Motherland but that they were still cranking these things out as fast as possible.

That, in a nutshell, is why I love WWII guns. They were made with purpose, and they have history.

norinco982lover
09-06-11, 01:26
I have 2: a 1943 which is rather rough, and a 1942 with a drop in timney trigger that is smooth as silk.

Both have bent bolts and advanced rifle parts scope mounts. Both are very accurate and a blast to shoot!

Just get one :D

Cerberus
09-06-11, 17:21
I love Mosins, they are fun to shoot in a painful sort of way. Got 5 of them. Was at the range Saturday and some kid went ambling by with one that was made without the upper handguard. I about cried, because I knew the family didn't know what they had.

Dionysusigma
09-30-11, 01:05
A Remington ...?:eek:

TOrrock
09-30-11, 06:28
A Remington ...?:eek:

The Imperial government contracted with many companies to manufacture M91's to help supply arms during WWI.

Remington, FN, and the Swiss built some. Most of the Remingtons weren't delivered after the 1917 Revolution.

However, the US military used them as training rifles here stateside and we also armed our Expeditionary Forces that invaded Russia in 1919.

YZINGERR
10-05-11, 00:39
I somewhat have buyer remorse after buying my mosin...
$89.99 is a good deal for a near .308 bolt action, right?
I thought that it was a cool rifle with an aftermarket stock.. then it led to scope, scope mount, bend bolt handle, sling, harris bipod, cutting and crowning barrel....
$90 gun turned into $350+

I could have bought a "real" bolt action for the same price!

YZINGERR
10-05-11, 00:49
BTW: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/blurr91/guns/Mosin-Nagant-Arm-5-people.jpg

anthony1
10-05-11, 04:48

I live 30min from AIM the amount of surplus firearms that leads to me buying is alot. I will be picking up 2 new mosins wed or thurs cant remember what day they allow pick ups.

YZINGR- Yeah the #1 rule for mosins is pretty much dont do anything to it, shoot/clean repeat.

J-Dub
10-05-11, 16:30
Everytime i think im going to buy one....i just cant get over how ugly nagants are.

The fact that you can pick one up for like 80 bucks is awesome though..

Travis B
10-05-11, 17:20
Everytime i think im going to buy one....i just cant get over how ugly nagants are.

Personal taste I guess. I actually love their looks.

TOrrock
10-05-11, 17:31

They definitely have a very 19th Century look to them.

P2000
10-05-11, 18:33
I brought mine along the last 2 range trips recently. Shooting steel plates at 200 yards with a mosin-nagant is one of the most fun things to do at my local range. You feel the history, and it is just plain fun.

YZINGERR
10-05-11, 19:42

I agree with the other guy. I have never been a fan of most foreign military wood-stock rifles... especially the mosin and its hideous 10 mile long barrel.
To each his own of course!

Vic303
10-05-11, 20:20
Yzinger, you should look at the Finn M39 then. They have a much better look to them.

J-Dub
10-06-11, 09:07
Ok y'all have my intrest up. What kind of accuracy can one expect from a mosin? $79 from AIM is very tempting...

TOrrock
10-06-11, 21:04
Ok y'all have my intrest up. What kind of accuracy can one expect from a mosin? $79 from AIM is very tempting...

Can't really make a blanket statement, as it totally depends on barrel condition and ammunition used. Typically, Finn reworks are as accurate as the Soviet sniper rifles were.

I haven't put mine on paper yet, but it was minute of 12" steel when firing rapidly off hand with Czech surplus light ball.

sgtrock82
10-09-11, 16:09

The fact that you can pick one up for like 80 bucks is awesome though..

There is an element of aquired taste for me. Ive had one since I was a 12 or 13, it been in the family since the 50s, an early import. Ive had a number of them but have pared it down to that first rifle, a finnish reworked 1898 dragoon, an original finish, mismatched, 1936 tula 91/30 from the spanish civil war and an original finish, matching except bolt, 1940 Izhvesk 38 carbine. My finnish m/28 was the best shooter

and as of october 14 i added an original 1944 PU sniper to the line up

afd524
10-09-11, 18:51
I just picked up my first M91/30 it is a 1930 Tula. Took it to the range the other day and loved shooting it, even had the girlfriend shooting :).

YZINGERR
10-12-11, 16:46

I can place a solid grouping of 2-3" at 100 yards with my 18.25" barreled with surplus yugo (i think) ammo.

Travis B
10-12-11, 16:59
I can place a solid grouping of 2-3" at 100 yards with my 18.25" barreled with surplus yugo (i think) ammo.

Unless you chopped the barrel that isn't a 91/30

YZINGERR
10-12-11, 17:09
Unless you chopped the barrel that isn't a 91/30
what are you talking about of course it is!

just kidding, yes I did cut and crown the barrel down to 18 & quarter inches

Travis B
10-12-11, 17:41
what are you talking about of course it is!

just kidding, yes I did cut and crown the barrel down to 18 & quarter inches

Pictures, please!

YZINGERR
10-12-11, 19:12
Here you go, with a fresh paint job (it was going to be desert sand/flat dark earth with black to break it up, but my sketch looked cheap so i went for all desert sand.. i'll be the first to admit, im no artist):

CLICK HERE for My photos (https://picasaweb.google.com/YZINGERR/Firearms?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKjw-tbM78Kkag&feat=directlink)

Travis B
10-12-11, 21:12
Good looking setup, I like it.

Here you go, with a fresh paint job (it was going to be desert sand/flat dark earth with black to break it up, but my sketch looked cheap so i went for all desert sand.. i'll be the first to admit, im no artist):

CLICK HERE for My photos (https://picasaweb.google.com/YZINGERR/Firearms?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKjw-tbM78Kkag&feat=directlink)

YZINGERR
10-12-11, 21:20
Good looking setup, I like it.

Thanks, but it cost a lot more than I wanted to spend on a old military rifle!

KayRock
10-22-11, 17:09
Mosin nagants are great I shot one my buddy had and had to run out to get one in the great blue state of NY they cost a bit more $125 OTD with the accessory kit. I too believe that they should be kept original but I sporterized one anyway.....my concept was its a decent rifle with cheap ammo 7.62x54R is between a .308 and .306 but cost way less then either of those rounds......when i get a few more shekels to spend ill pick up another (to leave in original condition, maybe just refinish the stock. I hate shellac.....) the worst part of buying a mosin is that damn cosmoline. overall it should be a part of anyones collection.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3130/20111022175609.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/20111022175609.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6541/20111022175652.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/20111022175652.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7113/20111022175707.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/219/20111022175707.jpg/)

the one good thing is that i havent done anything that cant be undone....and im refinishing the original stock with linseed oil