PDA

View Full Version : Glock Question

old grunt
07-22-11, 18:21
Haven't been on in awhile..so forgive me if this has been asked and answered. Here goes: Own a Gen3 G19 and G26 and NOT too keen on the whole Gen4 version..was wondering if Glock is planning on keeping both versions in their line-up or the 4 will supplant the 3 soon? Their history would indicate that the Gen3 will disappear, but being the removable backstraps is a BIG jump in the design and many(including me)don't like it I was hoping that the Gen3 would continue to be made. Just asking...thanks!:D

Kristofer_G
07-22-11, 19:26
The sales rep I spoke to, said there is no pending date of termination for Gen.3s. However, he also said he was not aware of any issues with the Gen.4s. :lol:

GeorgiaBoy
07-22-11, 21:15
However, he also said he was not aware of any issues with the Gen.4s. :lol:

You've got to be kidding.. :suicide2:

Evan_O
07-23-11, 04:42
My LE rep said they gen 3 will eventually go away but could not give me a date. He's normally spot on with his info but you never know....

hatidua
07-23-11, 07:16
You've got to be kidding.. :suicide2:

When my two (now sold) G30SF's had the extremely common FTRB issue, I called Glock and they claimed to have never heard of anyone having such a problem :lol: -in light of all the threads on various gun forums by others with the same issue, Glock's response told me all I needed to know about them owning up to any issues that may exist with their products.

If a person really likes the Gen3 models, and is concerned about them being discontinued, picking up a spare is potentially not be the worst idea out there.

Kristofer_G
07-23-11, 13:22
If a person really likes the Gen3 models, and is concerned about them being discontinued, picking up a spare is potentially not be the worst idea out there.

There will not be a shortage of Gen.3s anytime soon. Even if Glock dropped them today. There are still plenty of Gen.2s around.

Frankly, I wish Glock was killing Gen.3s variants as they phase in Gen.4 variants of each model. Before the Gen.4 9mms hit the market, if there was anything in the world one could count on, it was a Glock 9mm pistol. The apparent polluting of new production Gen.3 9mms with Gen.4 parts I find disturbing. If they were killing Gen.3s, they would have only the Gen.4s to deal with.

I am one of those that has spent a good deal of time and money in the past "making Glocks better". Only after all was said and done, to realize; stock Glocks rock. My pistols today are all Glock OEM parts, other than the sights. The idea that if I were to purchase a model 19 today(Gen.3 or 4), the first thing I might have to do to get it to run is install a third party extractor is sickening. :bad:

I really like the grip shape and magazine release of the Gen.4s. I have wanted a 19 since I first held a Gen.4 compact model. I wish they had not altered the upper components and recoil assemble. :sad:

old grunt
07-23-11, 13:47
Thanks guys. I hope the Gen3 sticks around and I didn't realize that Glock was mixing and matching parts from the Gen4 guns:mad:This what happens when you mess with success.:suicide2:

GeorgiaBoy
07-23-11, 16:48
Thanks guys. I hope the Gen3 sticks around and I didn't realize that Glock was mixing and matching parts from the Gen4 guns:mad:This what happens when you mess with success.:suicide2:

The same exact thing I have been thinking. When I bought my first Glock (gen 4. 19) four months ago, I figured "hey, its just some random isolated incidents I've heard on the net about the Gen 4's, surely I won't have any problems". Then low and behold I buy one and I've had probably 40 FTE's, double feeds, and stovepipes in the 900 or so rounds I've had through it. Whats sad in comparison is that another one of my pistols, a Ruger SR9 has had ZERO, and I mean ZERO problems in its 1,500 or 2,000 round history.

I bought a Glock because of its reputation, and my first experience with it will probably haunt me the rest of my life. I probably will still buy another one, but it damn sure isn't going to be a Gen 4 no matter what model it is.

skyugo
07-23-11, 21:23
so is smith and wesson getting the M&P perfect as glock drops the ball on the gen 4?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-23-11, 21:35
so is smith and wesson getting the M&P perfect as glock drops the ball on the gen 4?

Now would be the perfect time to start perfecting the M&P and touting a perfect US Made polymer pistol.

RagweedZulu
07-23-11, 22:22
Now would be the perfect time to start perfecting the M&P and touting a perfect US Made polymer pistol.

It seems S&W is heading that way...

skyugo
07-23-11, 22:26

it had some minor teething issues, but honestly every m&p i've come into contact with has been perfect. i've got a few friends who run them pretty hard.
i do hope glock gets it back together though...

BTS
07-23-11, 23:22
i do hope glock gets it back together though...

+1

Just picked up a Gen 4 G19 yesterday for T&E. I don’t know if buying it is an exercise in futility or masochism. Maybe both. ;)

skyugo
07-24-11, 13:03
+1

Just picked up a Gen 4 G19 yesterday for T&E. I don’t know if buying it is an exercise in futility or masochism. Maybe both. ;)

it might run fine...
document it and share your findings with us... I really suspect with a possible extractor change and the correct spring weight the gen 4's will run fine. this irritates me because glock was one of the few pistols i'd happily buy, load, holster, and walk through detroit with. :suicide2:

Quentin
07-24-11, 18:11
I can't see Gen 3 going away until Glock works out the bugs in Gen 4. They probably could drop Gen 3 soon in 40S&W but they really shot themselves in the foot with the 9mm Gen 4s so Gen 3 will be manufactured at least another year.