PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg jumping into the AR market?

mhanna91
07-22-11, 22:48
http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=45&section=products

wolf_walker
07-22-11, 23:03
I saw the camo fixed stock one awhile back, or was that remington?
Same kinda deal either way, trying to un-EBR the EBR and make a buck I guess.

Packman73
07-22-11, 23:06
I really like my Mossy shotguns; I hope they make a decent AR.

Lumpy196
07-23-11, 00:07
The world needed another substandard AR marketed toward the weekend dirt shooter.

halo2304
07-23-11, 00:24
Maybe they'll add a huge .50cal style muzzle brake or a chainsaw grip! :lol:

GeorgiaBoy
07-23-11, 03:30
Their prices are in the $850-950 range. Probably will be just like a DPMS/Olympic.

asianhulk
07-23-11, 04:12
Their prices are in the $850-950 range. Probably will be just like a DPMS/Olympic.

I was thinking the same thing.

I like the 590 Shotguns

Stan9106
07-23-11, 05:25
Did you notice their specifications table doesn't give a clue as to barrel twist, type of steel used, type of BCG, proof testing, etc... Says a lot to me.

warnerd
07-23-11, 05:39
Ugh, not another company jumping in...

Leonidas24
07-23-11, 06:52
Did you notice their specifications table doesn't give a clue as to barrel twist, type of steel used, type of BCG, proof testing, etc... Says a lot to me.

Under "features" it lists the barrel as having:

"Increased accuracy with free floating, 16.25” button rifled barrels; 1:9 twist "

DMR
07-23-11, 07:44
Hummmmm, thought the release was scheadualed for next week. Just need to figure out how to get them to send me one now.

At least they have it without the forward assist, which is often seen as a good feature in some circles.

AMMOTECH
07-23-11, 08:00
Name recognition-- A lot of hunters will buy these like they did the Remington's based on the name and the suggestion from the guy behind the counter at their local bait and tackle store.

I wish them well but I'll pass.

mhanna91
07-23-11, 08:25
Name recognition-- A lot of hunters will buy these like they did the Remington's based on the name and the suggestion from the guy behind the counter at their local bait and tackle store.

I agree with all of this.

halo2304
07-23-11, 11:04
I remember the day I saw a Remington AR at L.L. Beans...talk about WTF?! They don't carry handgun ammo, but they got them on the shelf.

Kyohte
07-23-11, 11:21
Can I have mine in the "chainsaw" variety?

OIPactual
07-23-11, 11:49
God help us :bad::shout::suicide2:

wolf_walker
07-23-11, 13:31
Between this and Remington you'll be able to buy an AR at wallmart soon. :lol:

PA PATRIOT
07-23-11, 13:58
You never know the first guns out might have some really good Q/C and a decent price point to catch some market share. But as always it depends who is assembling them and were the parts are coming from, maybe Mossberg will surprise us with a decent rifle.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/65010.jpg

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/65014.jpg

fixit69
07-23-11, 13:59
I like my mossy shotguns, but man, this sounds like a disaster in the making. Maybe wood pump style handguard , with synthetic tactical upgrade. Please, please stop the madness.

Eta: they might be drinking ice tea in hell before you find them at Wally-world

AMMOTECH
07-23-11, 14:07
maybe Mossberg will surprise us with a decent rifle.

I did notice that some have fixed stocks and they offer 10rnd mags. This may help those stuck in states with bad gun laws....

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/65015.jpg

Wormydog1724
07-23-11, 14:33
I've actually been 100% pleased with my Remington R-15. It wasn't my first AR, nor my last. But it did provide me with a 'purpose' built AR for predator hunting. Not every AR-15 has to be marketed towards the tactical crowd.
Just because a company is 'new' to the AR world, doesn't mean they cannot produce an affordable firearm with acceptable quality. I'm not expecting them to be on par with BCM or Colt, but with the right features, they may replace RR or Bushy as 'a good starter AR'. JMO.

jcemt
07-23-11, 14:35
The world needed another substandard AR marketed toward the weekend dirt shooter.

LOL! Thats great!

GeorgiaBoy
07-23-11, 16:38
I've actually been 100% pleased with my Remington R-15. It wasn't my first AR, nor my last. But it did provide me with a 'purpose' built AR for predator hunting. Not every AR-15 has to be marketed towards the tactical crowd.
Just because a company is 'new' to the AR world, doesn't mean they cannot produce an affordable firearm with acceptable quality. I'm not expecting them to be on par with BCM or Colt, but with the right features, they may replace RR or Bushy as 'a good starter AR'. JMO.

I agree fully. Mossberg is marketing these guns to the hunting crowd, as with most of their guns, and their simply isn't a need for BCM or Colt quality in them. I would be perfectly content going hunting with a Remington R-15 or a Bushmaster Varminter, as I know that the worst that could happen, even if it is extremely unlikely, is that I will miss that coyote kill...

Sometimes people get too caught up in the whole "quality" business and forget that not all guns need the best goodies. I'm sure few people that buy these new AR's for hunting use will be dissapointed. I doubt they will ever get more than a 1,000 rounds through them.

How is Mossberg going to stay in the game with a TDP-adhering $1k rifle when their competitors are selling them for $300-400 less? Bubba, Joe, and John don't care about no "milspecs" or "staked castle nuts".

jet80tv
07-23-11, 17:17
I remember being in dicks sporting goods and the guy behind the counter holding a camo Remington-15 and explaining to a potential customer that "first of all, I don't like thus rifle because it has no sights...how you gonna hit what you shootin at?" (quoted word for word) and I'm sure it's that way at most of the places that peddle these types of rifles so what does any of the tdp adhering quality matter when dipshits like this are selling them and prob selling them to those cursed by ignorance

ghostman1960
07-23-11, 17:24
You never know the first guns out might have some really good Q/C and a decent price point to catch some market share. But as always it depends who is assembling them and were the parts are coming from, maybe Mossberg will surprise us with a decent rifle.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/65010.jpg

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/65014.jpg

A Stark grip? :suicide2:

Wormydog1724
07-23-11, 17:31
I remember being in dicks sporting goods and the guy behind the counter holding a camo Remington-15 and explaining to a potential customer that "first of all, I don't like thus rifle because it has no sights...how you gonna hit what you shootin at?" (quoted word for word) and I'm sure it's that way at most of the places that peddle these types of rifles so what does any of the tdp adhering quality matter when dipshits like this are selling them and prob selling them to those cursed by ignorance

That's a stellar attitude.

Dutchy556
07-23-11, 17:54

My thoughts exactly. I like my 590 and 930 for what they are, but a Mossberg AR? Pass.

... Not every AR-15 has to be marketed towards the tactical crowd.
Just because a company is 'new' to the AR world, doesn't mean they cannot produce an affordable firearm with acceptable quality. ...

I agree fully. Mossberg is marketing these guns to the hunting crowd, as with most of their guns, and their simply isn't a need for BCM or Colt quality in them. ... .

Fair enough, but this doesn't strike me as a great hunting offering. M4 profile barrel? No name quad rail with no apparent anti-rotational feature (why a quad rail?). For the the hunting market I'd expect a med-con or heavy barrel with a slick float tube. Not that it wouldn't work for varminting or what have you, but it just doesn't strike me as tailor made for that crowd. This thing looks to me like something designed to look M4-ish enough to appeal to the weekend dirt shooter- as Lumpy so eloquently put it - and have enough rail estate to bolt on plenty of cheap accessories from Tapco, UTG and the like.

Hopefully it turns out to be a decent rifle for the price point but I am not holding my breath.

wolf_walker
07-23-11, 18:08
There is a point there though. Is there a place in the world for non-TDP compliant M4 type guns? I don't mean beyond-TDP or specialty types. If they are safe to shoot, aren't some goofy proprietary stuff, and of reasonable overall quality, why not?
Ideally they would be cheaper than "good" stuff, but we all know how that goes. I am as much of a mechanical idealist as anyone, but I'm pretty confident that both Remington and Mossberg have marketing departments that made sure there was a viable group of would-be purchasers they could reach with these things before they spent the considerable amount of time money and effort on making and distributing them. Most of us know better, want better, and will buy better, but if this puts more safe, functional weapons in the hands of Americans, I have a hard time frowning on it but so much. Less so, in fact much less so, than I do on companys that market to ideals there product does not match. I'm not going to buy one, nor are the majority of people that read a forum like this, but if my 60 year old uncle buys one because of the name on it I'll consider him better off and more well armed than he is with his 30-30 lever gun or his .270 bolt and such. Not to mention he'll become familiar with the platform, and maybe become interested enough to start learning, and upgrade later.

GADAWG
07-23-11, 18:18

I agree.

Wormydog1724
07-23-11, 19:44
Fair enough, but this doesn't strike me as a great hunting offering. M4 profile barrel? No name quad rail with no apparent anti-rotational feature (why a quad rail?). For the the hunting market I'd expect a med-con or heavy barrel with a slick float tube. Not that it wouldn't work for varminting or what have you, but it just doesn't strike me as tailor made for that crowd. This thing looks to me like something designed to look M4-ish enough to appeal to the weekend dirt shooter- as Lumpy so eloquently put it - and have enough rail estate to bolt on plenty of cheap accessories from Tapco, UTG and the like.

Hopefully it turns out to be a decent rifle for the price point but I am not holding my breath.

I never said the Mossberg would be for hunting. I said my Remington R-15 is perfect for predator hunting. And I think the mossberg will find it's niche in the market, even if the masses like it or not. Ruger and S&W seem to be doing well and a lot guru's talked shit on them in their beginning.

nwell2k3
07-23-11, 20:00
Free float barrel under $900, perfect. Been a fan of Mossberg, think this is a great idea for them to jump into the AR game... Now someone hurry up and put 3000 rounds threw it, dip it in some salt and sand..

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-23-11, 20:09
Cool I guess. It gets more rifles into the hands of law abiding citizens, which is about the only plus I see from where Im standing.

Mossberg used to be pretty straight laced. Now theyve started releasing some of the most gimmicky shit Ive ever seen. I'll pass on their rifle offerings just the same as I have on their shotgun offerings. YMMV.

ucrt
07-23-11, 23:00

I do not have a problem with AR makers like DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, Olympic, Mossberg, Remington, Sabre, Stag, Mattel or whomever.
No problems what so ever...as long as good bandwidth on this site isn't pissed away trying to pacify the purchasers of such stuff that they are gtg or ridiculous attempts to make such stuff "seem" like viable (or jaga) options for quality HD, SD, patrol rifles, etc. for serious users.

But maybe it's just me...

120mm
07-24-11, 07:11

I do not have a problem with AR makers like DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, Olympic, Mossberg, Remington, Sabre, Stag, Mattel or whomever.
No problems what so ever...as long as good bandwidth on this site isn't pissed away trying to pacify the purchasers of such stuff that they are gtg or ridiculous attempts to make such stuff "seem" like viable (or jaga) options for quality HD, SD, patrol rifles, etc. for serious users.

+1000

I'll also add, that I bet lots of mainstream stores will sell these for the cost of a much better rifle. It offends my sensibilities when schlockmeister companies do that.

hunt_ak
07-24-11, 07:16

I was under the impression that Sabre didn't belong in this category and had actually eeked out a .gov contract from Colt.

*off for more research*

sr71plane
07-24-11, 08:13
Amazing................the rifle is not even out yet and most around here are already trashing it.

sabresbrs
07-24-11, 08:23
UCRT, Sabre is a high end AR maker ( or was ), so you should not compare it to a toy company. If you handle or shoot one, you will own one.

Corse
07-24-11, 08:34
With Remington and Mossberg making these it will probably help to legitimize the AR as a sporting platform, instead of an "assault" rifle since they will be more appealing to the average joe. Besides how many stores carry Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc.

I'm not sure what ranges you guys train and practice on, but it seems like I shoot a lot of dirt in the process.:D

fixit69
07-24-11, 08:47
Corse. That is very true. I am a convicted worm killer myself.

Steve S.
07-24-11, 09:51
Am I interested in what Mossberg is offering in their AR? No. I am however delighted that they entered the market.

It's a good thing for gun owners (or at least sensible gun owners) when a major player in the hunting market decides to push ARs to the hunting crowd. It helps break the "evil black gun" stigma. For that alone - we should be happy.

sabresbrs
07-24-11, 12:04
Even though I will only buy an ar-15 from about 5 makers, it is good when more manufacturers come into the market because it drives the price of AR's down which is good for consumers.

GunnutAF
07-24-11, 12:18
I going to shutup as if I say what I want to say I'll get banned again!:rolleyes: Think Teir chart and dollars and you will understand! :D

hamster-in-a-wheel
07-24-11, 12:25
The more the merrier. If it's good, GREAT! If it sucks, less great. Either way, more AR15 owners is a good thing IMO.

chadbag
07-24-11, 12:45
From a political standpoint, this is great news. It further legitimizes the AR platform as something other than an evil "assault weapon." The more major manufacturers coming out with ARs and saturating the sport shooting market for them, the better off we all are, whether we personally would have one or not.

PRGGodfather
07-24-11, 13:02
It's a good thing for gun owners (or at least sensible gun owners) when a major player in the hunting market decides to push ARs to the hunting crowd. It helps break the "evil black gun" stigma. For that alone - we should be happy.

This.

While knowing the specs is critical for a technical board, let's not forget a large percentage of AR15 owners fire less than 100 rounds a year, and then stick their rifles back in the safe. These folks tend to support our rights to own ARs, even if we don't see them at classes.

While we might impress some interested folks with our command of the TDP, there are lots of great folks with guns who have the right to own safe queens and rifles not compliant with the TDP -- and they're on our side.

Let's never forget who our enemies really are -- and they ain't the folks on this board, or those who might buy Mossy ARs. The one we should be concerned with want to take your pistols and 10-22s, too.

Good on Mossy, and teach a "Fudd" about ARs. Some of those "Fudds" could teach us a bit about fieldcraft and hunting, too -- since after all, some of our greatest military heroes were country boys.

We all win.

indawire
07-24-11, 14:47
So perhaps the quality is not what you would bet your life on but that's not the market. The more Fudds (no disrespect intended, just generic) the merrier, it's a lot harder to convince the regular joe hunting crowd that these are "evil black guns" when he just bagged his limit using one. I don't think the M4 posters will be going out in droves to get one unless it proves itself first - ie: you can't argue with the success of the Mossb. shotgun effort. If the price point is right and the product decent, their AR may help put to rest the "those things are only good for killing people" BS. We're never going to convince the far left wing anyway so let's get the middle ground on board.

Dienekes
07-24-11, 16:49
If nothing else it suggests how mainstream ARs are becoming. At this rate there will be J.C Higgins ARs in hardware stores from sea to shining sea.

The way things are going, that may not be a bad thing.:rolleyes:

30 cal slut
07-26-11, 08:30
Good on Mossberg. More offerings = reinforcement that the AR platform is mainstream, even in fuddville.

The Cat
07-26-11, 08:39
This.

While knowing the specs is critical for a technical board, let's not forget a large percentage of AR15 owners fire less than 100 rounds a year, and then stick their rifles back in the safe. These folks tend to support our rights to own ARs, even if we don't see them at classes.

While we might impress some interested folks with our command of the TDP, there are lots of great folks with guns who have the right to own safe queens and rifles not compliant with the TDP -- and they're on our side.

Let's never forget who our enemies really are -- and they ain't the folks on this board, or those who might buy Mossy ARs. The one we should be concerned with want to take your pistols and 10-22s, too.

Good on Mossy, and teach a "Fudd" about ARs. Some of those "Fudds" could teach us a bit about fieldcraft and hunting, too -- since after all, some of our greatest military heroes were country boys.

We all win.

^^^ This. Many times this.

markm
07-26-11, 08:41

Exactly.

It'll be huge amongst the Arizona Dirt Slayers!

Heavy Metal
07-26-11, 08:59
With Remington and Mossberg making these it will probably help to legitimize the AR as a sporting platform, instead of an "assault" rifle since they will be more appealing to the average joe. Besides how many stores carry Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc.

I'm not sure what ranges you guys train and practice on, but it seems like I shoot a lot of dirt in the process.:D

We all do. But when we reference 'Dirt Shooters' we are talking about someone who is doing shit like bump firing at the berm, not someone making a serious attempt at training.

Cobra66
07-26-11, 09:17
From a political standpoint, this is great news. It further legitimizes the AR platform as something other than an evil "assault weapon." The more major manufacturers coming out with ARs and saturating the sport shooting market for them, the better off we all are, whether we personally would have one or not.

Absolutely! The fact that LL Bean (as mentioned) is selling Remington ARs should be seen as a major victory for those of us who love black rifles. When I got into ARs, most gun stores wouldn't even touch them, there were only a couple manufacturers, and it was only "tactical types" that owned them. Today things are far different. While Remington, Mossberg, and Ruger ARs targeted at recreational shooters may not be the choice of shooters here at M4C, the end result will be more AR shooters in the voting booths and that will mean you all can continue to buy your BCMs, DDs, KACs, and Colts to your hearts content.

donwalk
07-26-11, 13:07
i hope it's better quality than the .22 lr AR...:(

Wormydog1724
07-26-11, 13:33

This.

Moose-Knuckle
07-26-11, 19:25
This.

We all win.

Very well put sir.

MrRogers
07-26-11, 20:00

True that! :lol:

yellowfin
07-26-11, 20:14
I'm glad to see another AR maker pop up, normalizing them as the standard rifle in our country rather than something on the fringes. I just wish they could have made it in something bigger than .223 as to more fully demonstrate that not only is it an increasingly more common rifle but also good for more than just woodchucks, coyotes, and target shooting (of all genres). I'd like to see it become as common on shelves as bolt action guns, or even partially replace them, but that won't happen so long as 90% of people see it only in one flavor.

cz7
07-27-11, 18:06
for about 4 years mossburg has been making ar barrels for del-tron etc ! i HATE THEM please give me a olyarms barrel they work well for light work ........i have pull 6 mossburg barrels last app. 2 years out of uppers by delton one was so rough chromed .it looked like rocky mountains with a hawk -eye ......run away, hug your olyarms with love!

Waylander
07-27-11, 18:15
As long as a bunch of Rascos don't start showing up at the ranges with them and their six pack I say go for it. Also just another $900 AR people can pimp out with $1000 shit they don't need or use. Maybe I'm cynical.

hunt_ak
07-27-11, 22:45
As long as a bunch of Rascos don't start showing up at the ranges with them and their six pack I say go for it. Also just another $900 AR people can pimp out with $1000 shit they don't need or use. Maybe I'm cynical.

Guess its good for the economy...and Magpul ;)

mattmcg
07-28-11, 00:09
I won't comment on the quality, price, or that another manufacturer has joined the party. That has all been said before.

What I will say is that this is excellent from a 2A standpoint. The more common ARs become, the more support we have for the "common use" terminology outlined in the Heller decision by the Supreme Court.

The next time that some dipshit politician passes an "Assault Weapons" Ban, they will have a more difficult time making it stick against "common use" firearms.

Thanks Mossberg for joining the party..... :cool:

GermanSynergy
07-28-11, 00:13
Another player entering the already saturated AR market with a 1:9 barrel? :rolleyes:

Simply amazing.

Failure2Stop
07-28-11, 05:01
Ruger and S&W seem to be doing well and a lot guru's talked shit on them in their beginning.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Let me be very clear about that...
I'm still talkin shit about the Ruger.

ra2bach
07-28-11, 12:13

this will also get ARs into the pricing model and distribution channel that other brands might not have access to.

name recognition and being available in places like Dick's and Bass Pro will expose a whole 'nother breed of "sportsman" to the AR platform.

while these type of shooters are probably not the type that will frequent this forum, anything that makes it more mainstream acceptable can only be a good thing in my mind...

Black Jeep
07-28-11, 12:55

Moreover, if Mr. Alan Mossberg is making money off of said platform then he is likely to put some of that money into 2A lobbies and candidates that support 2A agendas because it means he can continue to produce his money makers.

It isn't my cup of tea, but just because they make it doesn't mean I have to buy it. I'm less interested in having a market of great products and infinitely more interested in the continued existence of the market.

Moose-Knuckle
07-28-11, 13:10
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

HAH! :lol:

Wormydog1724
07-28-11, 13:26
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Lol. Fair enough! They just seem to be more accepted as time goes on. My bro has one and it's a nice AR, but not for me. The new one that's out or coming out with the Troy TRX Extreme is more my style. But still, for the price, I'd rather get a BCM. And I did. Probably be getting my 2nd BCM lower soon. :ph34r:

I don't see Mossberg being accepted as an actual AR to take to war. But taking to the range, sitting by the nightstand, or just showing your buddies how to bump fire ;) it should do those just fine.

Elessar
07-28-11, 15:16
Well said.

This.

We all win.

DMR
07-29-11, 13:01
FYI., I'm waiting on a copy of the Spec's. Should have a list next week.

DemonRat
07-30-11, 00:52
I just received my Guns & Ammo magazine and they have an article in it about the Mossberg's MMR(Mossberg Modular Rifle). I am not going to quote the article just give you my opinion on the rifle from what the article has said.It seems as though they might have a decent rifle.Recommended retail for about 1000-1445 depending on the caliber and configuration you get. Real world pricing will be less. It comes in .223 and .308 calibers. The MMR comes in matte black(tactical version), Mossy Oak, and Brush.The rifle doesn't have a dust cover or a forward assist. Why doesn't it come with a forward assist. Well in the article they explained it as it adds parts and assembly time to manufacture.Now to the dust cover. Dust cover was the same thing. I forget mines there sometimes until one of my friends closes it for me. So they said if its used its a good thing but most people forget to use it. Plus the spring can break, and its thin metal prone to being bent. Plus it adds time and cost to manufacture. Now to some of the things I liked about the MMR. Mossy Oak kool camo. Who doesn't own an article of hunting clothes in Mossy Oak. The .223/5.56 rounds is a great varmint, small game, and medium game cartridge and by medium game I mean deer. The twist is 1:9 as which is kinda standard for an AR. Reloading for the .223/5.56 is relatively easy once you learn the basics of reloading. The barrel is 16.5" with an A2 flash hider. On the tactical versions it does have a dust cover but no forward assist. The tac version does come with a picatinny quad rail with covers, and an A2 muzzle brake.It also has an option for a 6 position stock or standard A2 stock. 10 rnd or 30 rnd mags are another option with the tac version. The removable sights are an option and can cost you about 922 with them, without its around 885 bucks. Now the .308 comes in the same configuration but the barrel twist is 1:10. The full camo version is a bit pricey for me on this at close to 1500 bucks. I'd rather own a single shot .50 cal upper for my AR instead. Now for the actual firing of the rifle. The author used it on squirrels, coyotes and on targets. They had 8 shooters using a total of 13 different varieties from 11 manufacturers and shot 5000 rnds ranging from 35 gr to 62 gr. This was done in a 3 day period. They didn't do any maintenance, no oiling, of the MMRs. They were dry as he called it. His rifle that he used held a 1.25 inch at 100 yrds. Which to me is real good as mine is 1.5. But I thinks its more me then my rifle as I am an ok shot. He goes on in the article to say that these were fresh barrels not seasoned or broken in. It was a very interesting read and I might look into one of these rifles for a purchase later on after they have had some more testing from the populace. We all know Mossberg can make a good shotgun and there 4x4 rifle is nothing to just toss away too. So we will see what there AR's are like. Maybe Mossberg has a good thing coming. They just didnt say "lets make AR's" and start pushing them out. With what there offering and the start up cost just to put out these 3 styles (matte black, mossy oak, brush) in 2 calibers we will see. Heck Remington only put out 1 and I didn't think it was all that great. There's a lot more in the article and is a decent read too. So hope this enlightens a few about this new arrival to the AR family. Would I trust this rifle to save my life maybe. If I had too. I would hope it could. But I will always resort to my handgun first then if need be whatever I could grab as the wife would have the shotgun already.

DMR
10-05-11, 17:34
Spec's were finaly released today to a small distro list for wider dismination.
http://mossberg.com/images/products/MMR/65010.jpg

MMR™ Tactical SKU# 65010

The gun is compatible with most “mil-spec” aftermarket components

The major components are manufactured by Mossberg and / or exclusive Mossberg vendors in the USA

The receiver is manufactured from a 7075 T6 aluminum forging

The bolt is manufactured from Carpenter 158

The bolt and barrel are 100% high pressure tested (HPT) with military M197 or SAMMI equivalent proof ammunition and 100% Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI), rejection criteria is cracks and inclusions.

The barrel is manufactured from AISI 4140 carbon alloy steel

The barrel is 16 ¼” long

The barrel is chambered for 5.56mm NATO and compatible with .223Rem ammunition

The rifling is button broached with 6 grooves at a 1:9 RH twist

The barrel muzzle is threaded with a standard ½-28 thread and is fitted with a removable A2 style muzzle brake (not a flash suppressor)

The gun has a carbine length gas system

Gas block pined with taper pins

The barrel extension has M4 feed ramp cuts that extend into the upper receiver before anodize

The gun has a dust cover

The gun does not have a forward assist, the bolt carrier does have a thumb groove as originally designed

The receiver extension is a 1.14” diameter “mil-spec”

The gun has a free floated quad picatinny rail forend

The fire control group uses .154” diameter pins

The trigger is a standard single stage AR trigger group

The gun is supplied with a "C" 3 ounce buffer

The gas key is staked to the point the screw head is actualy distorted

The pistol grip is a Stark Equipment Corp. #SE-1, it has a grip plug for battery storage

The bolt carrier is an AR15 SP1 style

The gun is equipped with a 6 position adjustable stock

The reciever extension is a 1.14" diameter "mil-spec" made from 6-61 T6 aluminum, torqued to 40 +/- 2 inch pounds, and the castle nut is staked

The extractor spring is four coils with a blue insert

The charging handle finger grips are larger for improved purchase

The gun weighs approximately 7 lbs.

The overall length is 32.5” – 36.5”

In the future there will be different versions with chrome lined 1:7 twist barrels, standard trigger guards, different calibers, etc., etc.

Production rifles are starting to roll out of now.

skyugo
10-05-11, 18:32
Between this and Remington you'll be able to buy an AR at wallmart soon. :lol:

that's a good thing...
"in common use"

it does make one awful sad to see guys plunking down 900 bucks for a POS rifle when they could get a better one for more or less the same price. :rolleyes:

Shoulderthinggoesup
10-05-11, 22:14
Lol. Fair enough! They just seem to be more accepted as time goes on.

I may get shit for this, but I really think this has a lot to do with the massive popularity of first person shooters. These games are based almost PURELY around guns, and have bigger audiences and make more money than 99% of movies... Modern Warfare has made over a BILLION dollars. I think in 20-30 years, barring some major event, military pattern rifles will be "mainstream", or as close as an gun gets to mainstream....... Then this forum will filled with gun hipsters who liked evil rifles before they were cool. :suicide:

I see a positive future for gun ownership.

edit: Upon rereading it seems like you may have been talking about the ruger's specifically? My point stil stands on the topic of "evil" rifle acceptance in mainstream society.

PS: Demon, use paragraphs in a post that long.... it hurts my head to try and read it....

ache_d
10-05-11, 23:04
Welp, Tapco's stock is sure to see an increase. :sarcastic:

Shoulderthinggoesup
10-06-11, 08:12
Are you being sarcastic? I thought all the sf types used an sks with a super sweet tapco stock.......

All the cool operators I know do.....

:sarcastic:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Delmonte67
11-12-12, 15:22
Actually I have a buddy who brought one out to the property, pretty accurate shooter, nice setup for $725 no its not a $2000 rifle with every add on a lot of people here want, but I was pretty impressed for a starter AR. has a dust cover, no FA-(did my time in the sandbox, really no need in civilian world IMHO) but not bad overall! D.

GUNSLINGER733
11-13-12, 00:42
Mr. Mossy can keep it along with his shotguns. El cheapo

rojocorsa
11-13-12, 02:29
Mr. Mossy can keep it along with his shotguns. El cheapo

That's what I'm thinking.

But still, it's good for political reasons, like others said.

Packman73
11-13-12, 08:12
I doubt I'd buy a Mossberg AR15 but I love me some of their shotguns.
But who knows, Charles Daly didn't really make great shotguns but they came out with a badass AR before they went under.

ralph
11-13-12, 09:07
I doubt I'd buy a Mossberg AR15 but I love me some of their shotguns.
But who knows, Charles Daly didn't really make great shotguns but they came out with a badass AR before they went under.

Yes they did, I still have mine...It's my back up unit,my primary is a DD with a LW barrel assembled by Grant.. I figure I'm in good shape AR wise..

Delmonte67
03-03-13, 11:05
I picked this up for $800 right before the craze, added Magpul flip sights and CTR buttstock. All Milspec, and with the free float barrel its very accurate. I have put alot of ammo downrange and it is has performed flawlessly! Very happy for the price! :)

larry starling
03-03-13, 11:11
Yep, Maybe it will free up the quality stuff for the non FUDD's!:jester:

Delmonte67
03-03-13, 11:17
Yep, Maybe it will free up the quality stuff for the non FUDD's!*

Dave L.
03-03-13, 11:24
EDIT:
Thought is was a new post.

jp0319
03-03-13, 11:40
I think we are looking at this the wrong way. While I agree I would not purchase one, the more "affordable" models available for those that don't care about the chart, or the spec of the assembled parts but just want an AR, the better. Maybe they will buy more of these and they'll be more quality ARs available for those of us who do care about the sum of the parts. Just a way to look at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JS-Maine
03-03-13, 11:47
A Stark grip? :suicide2:

This.

Delmonte67
03-03-13, 12:20
I never said it was the m16A1 Colt I was issued in Kuwait and Pakistan. I'm not an Internet "commando" that has the most expensive weapon in the forum and thinks that when the "big invasion" happens someday that my expensive AR will save the world and everyone with a cheaper model will perish-lol. Kinda like my midget nieghbor who drives the shiny new Hummer and feels better about himself- I'm just not that guy. I like my Mossy for the price, just posting some pics, just a friendly hello, and by the way I am the "weekend dirt shooter" Gosh-I wish I was a weekend "special tactical operator" like some people :rolleyes: