PDA

View Full Version : Upper Receiver Wiggle

mag318
07-23-11, 00:16
One thing that has always bugged me is a loose upper receiver that wiggles in your hands everytime you pick it up. I realize this in no way effects function, but I just like the feel of a solid AR. My oldest AR is an Eagle Arms (ArmaLite) that is as tight as a drum. The feel of this solid feeling AR has spoiled me over the years. Today I was at a local gun shop looking at several brands. Looking at a new Colt SP6920 the upper wiggles, same with a S&W M&P15. I picked up a RRA Operator and it was tight and solid. It made me wonder if these Colts are made to looser specs perhaps desired by the military. Seems like the Colt are the standard by which all others are judged and is sometimes referred to as top tier. Just seems strange that ArmaLite and RRA would have tight fitting receivers and not Colt. Anyone else here hate the wiggle?

mkmckinley
07-23-11, 00:26
You're making the mistake of thinking that less wiggle=higher quality. It doesn't. Just go shoot the gun. Take a class or two and if you're still anal about the upper receiver movement buy one of those little orange wedges. Keep in mind that being able to field strip the rifle quickly and easily without tools is a good thing.

mag318
07-23-11, 00:41
I hear what you're saying and agree to a point. I've experienced several ARs during the last 40 years and just prefer tight rifles. While in Viet Nam 68/69 my M16 made by Colt had a tight upper. It's odd that some manufacture their ARs with tight fitting uppers and others don't. Perhaps the smaller companies just pay a little more attention to detail.

Reagans Rascals
07-23-11, 00:51
I may be incorrect in my following statement, and please correct me if so, but: Wouldn't a wiggle between upper/ lower affect accuracy, or at least stability to some degree? If your sights are on target but the upper can wiggle independently somewhat from how you are gripping the rifle, that seems like it can cause issues. Am I incorrect?

polydeuces
07-23-11, 01:08
Wiggle?
My post election manufacture CMMG shook like a strung out crack-whore in detox. It was ugly.
Quality machining = tight tolerances. Basic engineering.
Show of hands - how much shake does your DD or Noveske have?
Mine don't. None, and they're well (ab)used.

Reagans Rascals
07-23-11, 01:10
As demand increases, quality decreases....

Look at Toyota now.. compared to 15-20 years ago

tiktat
07-23-11, 01:15
I just put together an upper and lower, both being made by Daniel Defense. It was loose and wiggled. For some reason it bugs the hell out of me. So I bought an accu wedge and the problem was solved. My other AR has a Stag lower and BCM upper and its very tight. For me having it tight feels more solid. That's just me tho.

J8127
07-23-11, 01:19
Wiggle?
My post election manufacture CMMG shook like a strung out crack-whore in detox. It was ugly.
Quality machining = tight tolerances. Basic engineering.
Show of hands - how much shake does your DD or Noveske have?
Mine don't. None, and they're well (ab)used.

My DD wiggles. My Colt M4 wiggles. I do like the "feel" of a rifle that does not wiggle, but it has NOTHING to do with tolerances or quality or any of that.

Also, it does not effect accuracy in any way.

VIP3R 237
07-23-11, 01:22
I could be completely wrong about this but i was under the impression that you want a little play since as guns get hot the metal expands and a very tight gun would become need-a-punch-and-a-hammer-tight? For example if you're running you gun pretty hard and its getting hot and dirty and you have a malfunction and you need to open up the gun; wouldn't the very tight guns be almost impossible to open since the recievers have expanded from the heat? Just a thought.

Iraqgunz
07-23-11, 03:16
Do a search for Accuwedge and then ask yourself if it was a smart choice.

I just put together an upper and lower, both being made by Daniel Defense. It was loose and wiggled. For some reason it bugs the hell out of me. So I bought an accu wedge and the problem was solved. My other AR has a Stag lower and BCM upper and its very tight. For me having it tight feels more solid. That's just me tho.

Iraqgunz
07-23-11, 03:29
You state that you realize it doesn't affect function so why are you concerned? This has been discussed many of times here and it really doesn't need to happen again and again.

One thing that has always bugged me is a loose upper receiver that wiggles in your hands everytime you pick it up. I realize this in no way effects function, but I just like the feel of a solid AR. My oldest AR is an Eagle Arms (ArmaLite) that is as tight as a drum. The feel of this solid feeling AR has spoiled me over the years. Today I was at a local gun shop looking at several brands. Looking at a new Colt SP6920 the upper wiggles, same with a S&W M&P15. I picked up a RRA Operator and it was tight and solid. It made me wonder if these Colts are made to looser specs perhaps desired by the military. Seems like the Colt are the standard by which all others are judged and is sometimes referred to as top tier. Just seems strange that ArmaLite and RRA would have tight fitting receivers and not Colt. Anyone else here hate the wiggle?