PDA

View Full Version : .45 Super ques...

Taguin
07-23-11, 09:21
Hello all,

I'm headed to bear country towards the end of Summer. With the economy and what not, I can't afford to dish out cash for a new platform. I thinking of setting up a SIG P220 carbon steel slide for .45 Super. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Raven Armament
07-23-11, 10:20
Ace Customs doesn't mention this pistol for use with the 45 Super. To me that illustrates a lack of confidence in the platform to accomodate the 45 Super well.

E-man930
07-23-11, 10:27
I wouldn't bother with the Sig - cheapest .45 Super pistol to setup is a USP .45 fullsize. You can snag one for $550 - 600 bucks and shoot it as is to see if you like the .45 Super - if so and you want to keep at it, swap in a Wolfe 18lb recoil spring and you are done. It should just dribble out WWB .45 ammo, and will shoot .45 Super until your bank account is empty. I just did this to a stainless USP. 45 with a few additional mods to set it up the way I like them. If you have a bigger budget, a MK23 will shoot the Super as is and knocks off about 20% of the recoil compared to the USP. Hope this helps...

E-man

KhanRad
07-23-11, 10:37
Hello all,

I'm headed to bear country towards the end of Summer. With the economy and what not, I can't afford to dish out cash for a new platform. I thinking of setting up a SIG P220 carbon steel slide for .45 Super. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Don't do that to a P220, you're asking for a problems. The slide and frame are not designed to handle that level of recoil. In fact, I avoid shooting +P out of my P220 as it accelerates wear, and is MUCH more likely to cause a roll pin break or other breakage before the 5000rd service interval.

Besides, if you've never shot a bear, a .45 Super isn't going to be all that great. .44mag or larger is the general rule of thumb. Bear spray is cheap, and quite effective at making a bear run from you and never look back.