PDA

View Full Version : Best light for $150.00

TACTICAL45
10-27-07, 13:58
Ok, here it goes. What is the best light and mount for $150.00? Also, if you have experience with something like this , information/pictures would be good as well.
Here are my requirements:
1) Price
2) Over 90 Lumens
3) All weather
4) Durable for a AR
5) No pressure pads! Toggle, or button activation only
6) Quick disconnect- no tools
7) Has to fit in space shown. I don't mind if it is a offset (45*) mount. I don't want it in my way when using the front rail.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/PRDATOR/100_1138.jpg

Steve
10-27-07, 15:30
You will get the same recomendations here as you have on the other forums you have posted this question too.

use the search function. :)

TACTICAL45
10-27-07, 15:37
Thanks, but I did not get that answer at all. Had you actually seen the post some place else, you would know that. There are way too many topics on this to sort them out. So I put parameters on it to get around all of the b.s., and smart replys. I did look though, just so you know. Maybe you and all of your wisdom can sort them out for me, and send them here, that would be really cool!

Steve
10-27-07, 15:48
I wasnt being smart.

And i have

you have been given good advice on several lights from surefire 200a/b model and TLR1 to g-2 surefires in ring mounts from several makers.

so here it is again .

surefire lights g-2 is a good choice, with mounts from D.D to Vtac and simple scope rings 120 lumen bulbs

tlr -1 weapons lights

pentagon but make sure you read the battery install as well. since they are reverse than standard.

to some of GR tacticals weapons lights that meet your needs. your only choice is to pick one. as they all will serve you well. and do what you ask of them

in case you havent thought of it , using light of over 90 lumes indoors is a huge issue, at times walls are white, and have pictures and mirrors on them and can be used against yourself moast i work with and train use 80 lumens unless specific long range outdoor use is know to be a factor... i have used more than 80 is often to much in doors at times and leds offer yo u better battery life and are all ready shock isolated so to speak for weapons use.

so also telling us of its specifc use might help as well.
good luck

Steve
10-27-07, 16:00
here yah go

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=WG-P&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DGRTA

as requested 129 bucks.

TACTICAL45
10-27-07, 16:13
This is they way it should go. :D
Yes I have posted other places. Where did you see it at?
I have thought about the Lumens, I currently use a M6 on my HK Tactical .45. I customized the rail, and light to fit each other, and zero each time. But I want to be able to separate them on my AR. I do like the TRL1, and the M3X. As far as a take off and use "flash light", the G-3, G-9, are the two I have seen so far that I like. But still yet need to find a true Q.D. for either of them. I have seen some pretty huge lighting systems, and I do not want that. Quick, and compact is what I am after. The use will be C.Q. sweeps. Seeing how most courses are day/night, inside/outside. I was hoping to find something that will cover as much as possible for the cost. We all know no one makes on that will do everything, so this is my attempt to get it right on the first shot. Thanks.

TACTICAL45
10-27-07, 16:15
Steve,
Hats off to you! Have you used this system, or know some one who can say how durable, and so on it is? After some research on it, here is a very detailed info. on it:
http://www.handgunforum.net/showthread.php?t=7914 This probably the system I will end up with, depending on feed back on the system. Thanks again.

Steve
10-27-07, 20:42
Yes me,...... i saw it on the michigan forum.. which I replied too........

I own several lights with vtac mounts dd, larue and others,.
and GR and to many to count from surefire pentagon and the likes,.

get one and dont look back,. gr weapons lights are great. value,.

Voodoochild
10-28-07, 16:14
Tactical rest easy Grants lights are top notch and very reliable. I have one on my middy and it is built like a tank.

sonrider657
10-30-07, 19:03
I am very happy with my new Inova T1 (rated at 80 lumens but they make higher output models) mounted in an Elzetta ZFH1500. The Elzetta mount was $30 and the Inova was less than $50. Both are U.S. Made and excellent quality. It is also a very light weight setup.

The sling swivel activates the light switch - no wires or pressure switches to mess with. I had a Surefire G2 mounted in the Elzetta and it worked the same way but I like the Inova better.

http://www.ChristianCarnivore.com/Inova T1.jpg

TACTICAL45
10-30-07, 19:09
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/botach_1969_206028121
* 100-lumen LED flashlight
* 2.5-Hour Constant Run-Time - Non-Dimming Output
* 250-Foot Effective Range.
* Signal Visibility - 3 Miles
* 3.2 Watt high-powered LED
* Lanyard hole.
* Power regulating circuitry provides
* Weapon Mountable
* TIROS™ optical system +90% light projection.
* Aircraft aluminum body
* Type III hard anodized finish.
* Water resistant / Compression sealed.
* End-switch control: Press for momentary on / Click for constant on/off
* Lock-out mode: Twist switch cap
* Weight: 5.9 oz.
* Dimensions: 6.25" long x 1.25" diameter
* Batteries: Two 3-volt lithium Included
* Body Diameter: 25mm

I was recently told about this set up with a YHM 45* off set. Yours is not bad either. I am just a little leary of the length. If I can keep it in the 3-4 inch area wit the same spec's. I think that would be perfect. The end result is to have it out of my hands way.

Shihan
10-31-07, 02:28
Steve gave you some good advice. Dont let cheap be your deciding factor as seen in your posts on TOS.

TACTICAL45
10-31-07, 20:38
Yes he did. Come to find out, he and I have spoken about other things before, just not here, and using these names. He has a lot of knowledge, and is willing to share it with others. Not only that, he lives not close to me, but not real far either. I hope to get up to see him soon, and meet him in person

ddemis
11-01-07, 04:09
I bought a surefire g-2 nitrolon and mounted it with a Veltor pic rail mount that only requires a simple twist on it's knob. Veltor makes some great mounts for lights that require no tools, and along with a good surefire (about 50 bucks) you should be in your price range.

rob_s
11-01-07, 06:30
I have two of these (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=G2-P).

Mount: Vltor G-Series
Bezel: Surefire Z32
Tail Cap: Surefire Z49
Price with your options: $116

madryan
11-08-07, 18:37
I just picked up a Surefire 6PL from brightflashlights over at AR-15.com and got the Z32 bezel and the Z49 tail cap with a DD offset mount (My personal favorite mount, but sticks out too far for some folks)

I'm a big fan of LED lights since they're pretty much indestructible. I know that some incan lights throw better, but for me I've never had a problem with a good LED.

I had an Inova T-3 mounted on a Carbine and while it was a nice light for the money, but I greatly prefer surefire.

TACTICAL45
11-08-07, 19:29
I just purchased my G2-L, with a Z49, and a VLTOR mount, all in black. I will keep you posted when it comes in. I feel it is a pretty good set up, after the research I did, including all the help I got from you guy's and others. I took some time before purchasing it. But I am definitely NOT rushing into ant decisions on my first build. I have just sold a laser/light I bought for it. No one could give me help with it, so I had to be the test for it. It was very well built, and VERY BRIGHT, too bright, and a tad on the big side, but not too big. It honestly was too much for my intentions, and I detest tape switches! I do how ever feel that the Sure Fire will be a great step in the right direction. In retrospect, I may never put a laser on it, if I do with what I have seen so far a Laser Max, or TLR2, or the sort. Who knows, maybe even a IR set up for the win. :D

jmart
11-09-07, 07:52
Anyone know anything about the Wolf Eyes Cree models? Defender and Sniper models?

They run around $80 for the CR123-powered versions and about $115 for the Li-Ion powered rechargeable versions, with the recharger. Each model can use either battery type, but that rechargeable option seems like a good deal. Lumen output is greater than 150 IIRC (but I can never get it straight between LED lumens vs incan lumens. maybe a lumen is a lumen, but if so then mfg's fudge a bit on the specs).

WillC
11-09-07, 10:10
I would highly recommend the new Novatac EDC-120T, I just found one of these and I think that is going to be what I am going to go with, it is bright as hell, small and has the cool disorienting strobe feature.
Now you will still have to get a mount of some type but the flashlight itself is about $150... I recommend the Vltor.

Will

Shihan
11-10-07, 02:35
NOT rushing into ant decisions on my first build. I have just sold a laser/light I bought for it. No one could give me help with it, so I had to be the test for it. It was very well built, and VERY BRIGHT, too bright, and a tad on the big side, but not too big. It honestly was too much for my intentions, and I detest tape switches! I

That is what happens when you buy a airsoft product.