PDA

View Full Version : reverse curve blades

Striker5
10-27-07, 20:00
Sort of in conjunction with Rob's thread, I was thinking about getting a Spyderco Harpy or an (Emerson?) Karambit. Do these blades have any advantages other than looking scary and cool? They strike me as pretty much a "fighting only" knife. I was leaning toward the Harpy because my daily carry knife for the past five years has been a Spyderco Police model.

What do you think? Good idea or get a CQC-7 type general use knife?

Failure2Stop
10-28-07, 16:19
They are ok for a defensive tool if properly trained. Then again, so is a pistol.

I generally try to find useable knives for pocket carry, karambit style knives sre not much good for modern American day to day life. They were originally used to harvest rice, and were later used in self defense (though probably not significantly later).

NCPatrolAR
10-28-07, 20:10
I've been training in edge weapon skills for a fair number of years now and tend to always stick with conventional straight edge knives. I've messed around with the Karambit and find it to be more of a gimmicky/special purpose item.

Don G.
10-29-07, 08:03
Content deleted.

11-18-07, 01:46
I carry a Emerson Karambit on my weak side front pant pocket.

It has one purpose -slashing scumbags whom may be attemping to access my holstered 1911.

I have been carring it everyday the past 3-4 years. It is the easiest knife for me to use weak hand and opens faster (the wave) than any other knife I have tried. Needless to say its not a bad slashing tool either.

Why weakhand…. I think its not a good idea to carry weapon systems on same side, anyway the strong hand will be most likely be attemping to keep the SB from unholstering MY sidearm.

Shit happens…Good to have a plan when Murphy sneaks up.