PDA

View Full Version : SCAR17 accuracy testing

QuietShootr
07-24-11, 08:14
I decided yesterday that I would put some real glass on my SCAR17 and bench it with some match ammunition and see what it would do. I've been tempted to get another LMT MWS, but I keep hearing that the SCAR has serious accuracy potential. If it does, I'm going to put serious glass on it and start playing.

So: I added an ADM mount and a Leupold M1 Ultra with mil-dots and a 20x Premier Reticles power conversion. I started the zeroing process at 50 to get it on the paper and was gratified to see it shoot a ****ing BUG HOLE with Federal GMM 168gr ammo. I know it's just 50, but I'm excited to see what it will do, now. I'm going out to shoot it here in a few. Will report back. [Crosses fingers]

QuietShootr
07-24-11, 15:28
Well, that was a little disappointing in one regard - I thought it would shoot tighter than it did. However, it's very consistent. Everything I put in it, from 168gr Federal GMM, to Hornady 155 and 168 TAP, to L2A2 ball, shot 1.5 MOA. I zeroed with Hornady 168 and fired the rest of the rounds using that zero, and found that the only thing they did was move POI vertically. The lightest round (the 149gr ball) hit the highest, followed by the 155 TAP, then the two 168 match rounds stayed pretty close to each other.

So it's not a sniper rifle. I thought it probably wouldn't be. But 1.5MOA isn't all that bad for a combat rifle, so I guess I got what I wanted.

Kchen986
07-24-11, 16:21
Aww shucks. I was hoping for 1 moa accuracy with the 17.

QuietShootr
07-24-11, 17:08
Aww shucks. I was hoping for 1 moa accuracy with the 17.

I don't know. I'm suspicious that EVERYTHING was 1.5 moa. It might be the shitty trigger. I'd like to try one with a good trigger and see what happens.

C-grunt
07-25-11, 23:56
Thats definitely accurate enough for long range shooting in combat.

Hootiewho
07-26-11, 04:59
I have found mine shoots 155 gr Hornady Tap the best of the loads I've tried so far. I will concour with your observation, I have found that it shoots nothing "bad". I am actually amazed at how well as a whole it will shoot a broad range of ammo well and be stone cold reliable vs being a tack driver.

I think it is tempting to look at the 17 as a SASS, but you have to realize it is not a SASS. It is a true battle rifle, a light weight one at that. For the role of a battle rifle I think it is more than accurate enough to get the job done. I have read many threads on the SR25 EMC that state that it shoot's .75 moa, but at the same time the statement will be made that it just doesn't like to be fed xyz type of ammo. I'd much rather have a 1.5 moa gun that will feed anything. My 17 has really been like a goat, it will eat about anything and regardless of what goes in, it all roughly looks the same coming out.

The AR (or other assault type rifles) are 0-200 yard weapons
The 17 (battle rifles) are 0-500/600 yard weapons

I bought mine to fill the distance void, but what I am finding is if the driver runs the 17 right, the 0-100 where the AR (5.56) usually shines is very do-able with the 17. The trade off of what can be done up close with those 2 weapon systems vs the effect of the 5.56 vs 7.62 at distance and through barriers, makes the 17 an aweful tempting option.

When compared to other 7.62mm AVAILABLE battle rifle platforms to me it's a no-brainer. I don't see how anyone could fork over the coin for an M1A with the 17 available. I went and helped some friends do some sound testing on silencers the other day for a nfa discussion forum. I shot a suppressed M1A for about 40 rounds, then shot my 17 suppressed. Totally different beast they are. The 17 was so smooth. So if you want a 17, look at it from the standpoint of buying a rack grade M1A, FAL, AR10, or G3; don't expect it to be a SASS, but what you will find, in that catagory of rifles the 17 really is at the top of the game.

mkmckinley
07-26-11, 05:00
I've seen several of them achieve around 1 MOA with M118LR in the hands of a decent shooter. I'd like to see what the Mk 20 is going to be able to do, but the 17 is a great combination of manageable weight, good ergos/ recoil management and great accuracy for an EBR. If you want .5 MOA get an OBR or a bolt gun.

Hootiewho
07-26-11, 05:17
Supposedly the Mk20 takes it to that level. Several people who's word I trust say it's gtg. I am saving my $$$ for the Mk 20 myself. I'm not invested in an AR10, so my .308 mags are SCAR 17 mags. It only makes sense for me.

mkmckinley
07-26-11, 05:36
I suppose if you already have a SCAR heavy a Mk-20 would be a good option for a precision rifle. Any idea when they'll be released for civilian sales?

QuietShootr
07-26-11, 06:37
I have found mine shoots 155 gr Hornady Tap the best of the loads I've tried so far. I will concour with your observation, I have found that it shoots nothing "bad". I am actually amazed at how well as a whole it will shoot a broad range of ammo well and be stone cold reliable vs being a tack driver.

I think it is tempting to look at the 17 as a SASS, but you have to realize it is not a SASS. It is a true battle rifle, a light weight one at that. For the role of a battle rifle I think it is more than accurate enough to get the job done. I have read many threads on the SR25 EMC that state that it shoot's .75 moa, but at the same time the statement will be made that it just doesn't like to be fed xyz type of ammo. I'd much rather have a 1.5 moa gun that will feed anything. My 17 has really been like a goat, it will eat about anything and regardless of what goes in, it all roughly looks the same coming out.

The AR (or other assault type rifles) are 0-200 yard weapons
The 17 (battle rifles) are 0-500/600 yard weapons

I bought mine to fill the distance void, but what I am finding is if the driver runs the 17 right, the 0-100 where the AR (5.56) usually shines is very do-able with the 17. The trade off of what can be done up close with those 2 weapon systems vs the effect of the 5.56 vs 7.62 at distance and through barriers, makes the 17 an aweful tempting option.

When compared to other 7.62mm AVAILABLE battle rifle platforms to me it's a no-brainer. I don't see how anyone could fork over the coin for an M1A with the 17 available. I went and helped some friends do some sound testing on silencers the other day for a nfa discussion forum. I shot a suppressed M1A for about 40 rounds, then shot my 17 suppressed. Totally different beast they are. The 17 was so smooth. So if you want a 17, look at it from the standpoint of buying a rack grade M1A, FAL, AR10, or G3; don't expect it to be a SASS, but what you will find, in that catagory of rifles the 17 really is at the top of the game.

This is all true, except I disagree about 5.56s being limited to 200 yards.

My 17 loves 155 TAP, which is great because it's my serious round of choice, but it eats everything from shitty Pakistani surplus to Federal Gold Medal with no problems. And I agree - at close range, you can run the hell out of a 17.

I might just wait for a Mk20 to get a SASS.

BullittBoy
08-01-11, 10:31
Mine really likes the 90's German surplus DAG with nickel plated bullets, and Port from the 80's.
The British Radway is a close third.
I agree all the ammo shoots into 1.5" with stock trigger. I have shot a couple 1" groups but that is not the norm. I am also shooting TEN shot groups as well and I think the barrel heats up quickly.
I am rather impatient, I will shoot the 10 shots in about a minute, giving it about 5-10 seconds between shots so this is also some of my impatient error, and the trigger is heavy on mine-probably closer to about 7-8 lbs versus the 3-4 lb AR's I like. I also am considering a trigger job on it.
Mine actually now will run on supressed (after it has broken in) with all the ammo and you will get softer recoil impulse.

TomD
08-01-11, 11:18
1.5" is EXCELLENT accuracy, IMO. FYI, the standard for NM M-14s was 2 MOA. No doubt they would have done much better with M852 ammo.

Super Mall Ninja
08-01-11, 13:34
I've consistently got sub-moa with Federal Gold Match 168gr with my SCAR 17s. Lately I've been just shooting cheaper ammo like Brown Bear, MFS, and Prvi. Doing 5 shot groups, I got 1.5 MOA with the Prvi, 2.25 MOA with MFS (zinc-plated steel cased), and 2.7 moa with Brown Bear.

QuietShootr
08-01-11, 13:42
I've consistently got sub-moa with Federal Gold Match 168gr with my SCAR 17s. Lately I've been just shooting cheaper ammo like Brown Bear, MFS, and Prvi. Doing 5 shot groups, I got 1.5 MOA with the Prvi, 2.25 MOA with MFS (zinc-plated steel cased), and 2.7 moa with Brown Bear.

Well, it's possible I should clean it well and try again.

BullittBoy
08-02-11, 11:35
Everyone needs to understand the "true" accuracy potential on a rifle should be shot at 10 round groups.
Molon had post after post on how this three and five shot gun rag tesing was not correct.

Any redneck with a $500 bolt gun can shoot a 3 shot group at 100 yards with decent ammo and a decent scope on sandbags.
But shoot a 5 shot and it opens up, then shoot a 10 shot to really see what the gun is capable of.

I have been challenging myself more as I have gotten older and been shooting 10 and 20 shot groups. I shoot the 20 shot ones at 50 yards and the 10 shot at 100 to get true reads on what ammo the rifle likes.

ALCOAR
08-02-11, 15:01
/////

Magic_Salad0892
08-24-11, 22:26
IMHO, SCAR-17, and SR-25EMC, are completely in a class of their own.

I'm starting to wonder if/when HK releases the MR762A1 if it'll be worth the same price.

(BTW: After shooting the MR556 I'm kind of impressed.)

OTO27
08-25-11, 01:13
Well, that was a little disappointing in one regard - I thought it would shoot tighter than it did. However, it's very consistent. Everything I put in it, from 168gr Federal GMM, to Hornady 155 and 168 TAP, to L2A2 ball, shot 1.5 MOA. I zeroed with Hornady 168 and fired the rest of the rounds using that zero, and found that the only thing they did was move POI vertically. The lightest round (the 149gr ball) hit the highest, followed by the 155 TAP, then the two 168 match rounds stayed pretty close to each other.

So it's not a sniper rifle. I thought it probably wouldn't be. But 1.5MOA isn't all that bad for a combat rifle, so I guess I got what I wanted.

The best I have been able to do with my MWS is about 1.5 MOA (10 rnd group) with 168 SMK. So for a rifle thats about 2 lbs lighter thats not bad. Cant wait to get my hands on one.

jonconsiglio
09-03-11, 11:12
QuietShooter,

After some time now, have you noticed any difference with accuracy? Mine has been averaging just a hair over 1.25 MOA with 168. This is when I set it up differently than normal though and use my S&B 5-25 and use a full rest instead of my usual ACOG Ta31 and the magazine as a rest.

I know Stephen on Lightfighter (from Blue Force Gear) noticed his tighten up a bit after the first few hundred rounds or so, iirc.

I'm content with mine right now. I'm thinking of cutting it to 13" though since I'll be running it suppressed soon. I'm debating the cut though because I enjoy running this thing at distance and tend to grab it even over the Barretts for under 700 meters due to the cost of ammo. I know Hootiewho cut his to 13". As long as it's still effective, not just able to make hits, at 500 or 600 for example while still holding decent accuracy, I'll most likely make the cut.

I'd like to be able to use it for most of my hog and coyote hunting, I just have no experience with 308 at distance from a barrel less than 16".

decodeddiesel
09-03-11, 12:01
As if I needed another reason to lust after the SCAR-17.

IMHO a true 10 round, 1.5 MOA rifle is very capable accuracy for just about anything short of true sniper, and even then with capable optics I would not think twice of pushing this gun to 800yards. I can tell you that I never even saw close to this accuracy with my issued M14 in the Sage chassis. It was a 2 MOA gun firing M118LR, and worse with M80.

For my applications this gun would become another tool in the self-defense tool box, as well as a hog, mountain/elk hunting rifle, long range "plinker", or 3-gun rifle. Having this in a nice BFG Discrete Case would work very well for camping or hiking trips where encounters with animals such as Moose, Mountain Lions, Yokel, and Bear are real possibilities.

Volkovich
09-03-11, 16:37
I would love to be able to hunt elk with mine. JUST NEED A 5 ROUND MAGAZINE!!! Or at least a modified 10 rounder.

decodeddiesel
09-03-11, 22:08
I would love to be able to hunt elk with mine. JUST NEED A 5 ROUND MAGAZINE!!! Or at least a modified 10 rounder.

I would think making a magazine block out of nylon or something would be pretty straight forward.