PDA

View Full Version : How Does An Average-Joe Civi Get Into the Gun Industry?

Jellybean
07-24-11, 13:56
So it's a long story, but I've always had a thing for guns since I was a kid. Along with that, I've always thought it would be great to have a job where you work with something you actually WANT to work with.
*Lightbulb!*
So I'm currently on vacation where I get more than the usual basic TV channels, and I was watching Sons of Guns, and another documentary on the Barret's. After about the millionth time of cursing those bastards for being so lucky, I thought, also for the millionth time, that I'd give a hell of a lot to be able to work with firearms like that.

The thing is where does one even start? All these folks seem like they know what they're doing, and have a lot of expertise with it.....
How does someone who is still in the "enthusiast/ gun whore" stage get to that point?

variablebinary
07-24-11, 14:15
Have a product, or a skill, market it to other people for profit.

It's really that simple.

Want proof?

http://www.milsig.ca/store/images/magpul/MAG007DE.jpg

Palmguy
07-24-11, 14:18
So it's a long story, but I've always had a thing for guns since I was a kid. Along with that, I've always thought it would be great to have a job where you work with something you actually WANT to work with.
*Lightbulb!*
So I'm currently on vacation where I get more than the usual basic TV channels, and I was watching Sons of Guns, and another documentary on the Barret's. After about the millionth time of cursing those bastards for being so lucky, I thought, also for the millionth time, that I'd give a hell of a lot to be able to work with firearms like that.

The thing is where does one even start? All these folks seem like they know what they're doing, and have a lot of expertise with it.....
How does someone who is still in the "enthusiast/ gun whore" stage get to that point?

What is your education/skill set/current career or job? If you are talking about going to work for a manufacturer, the answer to that question, as well as a little bit of who you know in some cases, among other things can play a role.

QuietShootr
07-24-11, 16:29
*Lightbulb!*

This is free advice, and probably worth what you're paying for it. But I'm close enough to being in it to not want to be any closer.

Do you enjoy shooting, guns, and toys? Stay out of the business side of it.

I grew up with a copy of Barnes' Cartridges of the World, Cooper on Handguns, and George C. Nonte's book on handguns practically in my crib. I lived with my grandpa, who was an Army SFC, a nationally known pistol shooter, and a serious rifleman who was also a hunter (as opposed to a hunter who owns a rifle or two to shoot a deer). I got my first airgun when I was 5, an FWB 65 match air pistol that my grandpa used to shoot matches since the late 60s. I shot my first 1911 when I was 6, Grandpa's 1971 NRA Centennial Gold Cup. My grandpa's gunsmith gave me a new Springfield M1922M2 and a Fecker Woodchucker benchrest scope when I was 9.

I grinned while reading the entire first half of Unintended Consequences, because right up until I enlisted, I was Henry Bowman, only in the 70s and 80s.

Why am I telling you this? Because I don't want you to think I don't know how you feel. Guns and shooting are my entire life- I do everything else I do in order to be ABLE to shoot...and I don't know what the hell I would do with myself if I didn't like it any more.

I am close enough to the business to not want to be any closer. I am as close as I want to be, and the way I keep enjoying myself is by not getting any closer. I've been offered jobs, a few really good ones - but I don't want to **** up the one thing in life that I really enjoy by turning it into a job where I have to know a lot of the really stupid shit that goes on.

There are some very great people, but in the actual business there are also a whole LOT of world-class egomaniacs, douchebags, little tyrants, power-hungry assholes, big-turds-in-little-bowls, self-important insignificant "business owners", liars, cheats, out-and-out frauds, wannabes, never-weres, and what I think of as "South Florida sleazeballs". And then there's the dealer side, which you want to stay as far away from as you can. I know TWO, count 'em, TWO guys who are A) making money selling guns and B) aren't slimeballs.

Two.

Here's a pic of the sleazbag type:
http://www.donsguns.com/images/DonDavis002.jpg
And I know THAT one through and through- I worked for him for about six months before I went to college lo these many years ago.

I know what I'm talking about. Heed my words: if you really love guns, shooting, training, and the lifestyle - stay out of the business. You won't love it any more.

Jellybean
07-24-11, 17:25
Have a product, or a skill, market it to other people for profit.

It's really that simple.....

What is your education/skill set/current career or job? If you are talking about going to work for a manufacturer, the answer to that question, as well as a little bit of who you know in some cases, among other things can play a role.

Well, that's kind of where I run out of ideas and credibility. So far I've just done some college for IT which I ended up hating, so I'm kind of back at ye olde crossroad again. As stated previously, I'm still in the "yay guns are awesome" stage, so I really don't have any serious skills there (yet) other than an aptitiude for learning stuff.
I have talked with another party about opening a retail shop, but honestly, with the economy and saturation of the market I don't see that beeing a very good idea right now... ever.
As far as skill-based work, I'm not sure if I want to get into a full on manufacturer, or smaller shop-level/custom stuff....

So I guess to rephrase my original question- if I wanted to explore this idea, what would I have to do now to get to the point where I could actually do anything with this stuff someday?

QuietShootr- Where did you find that guy?:D
So I guess it's a case of 'one mans heaven is another man's hell'? That's a bummer. Although it's not like I wouldn't fit right in with the coulda-shoulda-woulda- beens; story of my life.:rolleyes:

On the other hand, I cant help but think of that bumper sticker (paraphrased)- the worst day spent fishing is better than any day at the office.

Palmguy
07-24-11, 17:26
There is a whole lot of truth in the previous post. Ultimately it's a personal decision but it is something that is worth considering.

I'm personally glad to no longer work for a firearms manufacturer, and I know other engineers that currently do that will be glad when they find employment elsewhere. The novelty can wear off.

That said, if and when I'm independently wealthy ( :lol: ), my free time will be spent with in a shop on a whole lot of land, with a computer, a mill and a lathe, and an FFL/SOT on the wall.

rob_s
07-24-11, 17:34
I'm like QS, my involvement is exactly as I want it to be, no more, no less. I've seen enough of the business to know that I do not want to rely on it for my income. And seen enough people that thought it seemed like a good idea to get into the business that now have a shit attitude and regret it.

QuietShootr
07-24-11, 17:35
Well, that's kind of where I run out of ideas and credibility. So far I've just done some college for IT which I ended up hating, so I'm kind of back at ye olde crossroad again. As stated previously, I'm still in the "yay guns are awesome" stage, so I really don't have any serious skills there (yet) other than an aptitiude for learning stuff.
I have talked with another party about opening a retail shop, but honestly, with the economy and saturation of the market I don't see that beeing a very good idea right now... ever.
As far as skill-based work, I'm not sure if I want to get into a full on manufacturer, or smaller shop-level/custom stuff....

So I guess to rephrase my original question- if I wanted to explore this idea, what would I have to do now to get to the point where I could actually do anything with this stuff someday?

QuietShootr- Where did you find that guy?:D
So I guess it's a case of 'one mans heaven is another man's hell'? That's a bummer. Although it's not like I wouldn't fit right in with the coulda-shoulda-woulda- beens; story of my life.:rolleyes:

On the other hand, I cant help but think of that bumper sticker (paraphrased)- the worst day spent fishing is better than any day at the office.

It isn't hell, it can be fun. It's just knowing some of the shit you learn about people and things that makes being around it outside of work not fun any more. And I don't want to **** up being able to enjoy it by getting paid to be around it. I'm not kidding, guy...some of the biggest assholes you will ever meet are in this industry.

You ever hear the old joke about how you should never go in the kitchen in your favorite restaurant, because you'll never eat there again?

It's true.

Now, really, I doubt if you're at the level that I am - because my 'yay guns are awesome' phase started at about 18 months old...so I have had some time to consider this. So if you got into the business, got disillusioned with the whole thing and left, you'd probably find something else to do.

I don't think I could, nor do I want to, so I am not going to put myself in a position where I'd want to.

QuietShootr
07-24-11, 17:35
I'm like QS, my involvement is exactly as I want it to be, no more, no less. I've seen enough of the business to know that I do not want to rely on it for my income. And seen enough people that thought it seemed like a good idea to get into the business that now have a shit attitude and regret it.

Ed-zachary. Preach it, brother.

ST911
07-24-11, 17:37
The gun industry isn't as much about guns as it is about business. You'd have a better chance breaking into the industry being an efficiency expert, bean counter, accountant, or marketing type than you would being a true gun enthusiast.

Doubt it? Open a catalog from a major manufacturer.

There's still hope in the small ventures and upstarts, but few stay both small and successful without either dying or being acquired by others.

Dunderway
07-24-11, 21:21
If you want to start off as a small FFL, then I would love to hear the advice given.

If you want to "break out" as an MFG, you may as well have said: I drive a sports car, and watch racing on TV, how can I break into the auto industry.

ETA:

- Be in/be buddies with someone in SOF
- Have a mechanical engineering degree
- Have a serious record as a competetive shooter
- Have live action footage of you killing combatants in another country
- All of the above would be best.

Thomas M-4
07-24-11, 21:50
If you want to start off as a small FFL, then I would love to hear the advice given.

If you want to "break out" as an MFG, you may as well have said: I drive a sports car, and watch racing on TV, how can I break into the auto industry.

ETA:

- Be in/be buddies with someone in SOF
- Have a mechanical engineering degree
- Have a serious record as a competetive shooter
- Have live action footage of you killing combatants in another country
- All of the above would be best.

Ok I have to ask just for the sake of asking.

- Be in/be buddies with someone in SOF Is a SRGT MGR in SOF good enough
- Have a mechanical engineering degree A engineering degree Check
- Have a serious record as a competetive shooter No
- Have live action footage of you killing combatants in another country Well not in another country but there is footage of my shotgun in conus after a attempted home evasion

So in you expert opinion what are my odds I do have 3 out of 4 :lol:?

crossgun
07-24-11, 22:02
Seeing as you currently have nothing at all to offer, no sales, no marketing, no design & engineering, no manufacturing or customer service background you have no value to the industry.

A lot of us got in because we knew someone and had a skill set or where at the wrong place at the right time.:smile:

Consider a gunsmith school. You will at least build a skill set and then have the ability to possibly begin your own business.

As mentioned by some of the others, be careful when your hobby become your job.

Dunderway
07-24-11, 22:09
Ok I have to ask just for the sake of asking.

So in you expert opinion what are my odds I do have 3 out of 4 :lol:?

Do not mistake me for an expert, but with your credentials, I would seriously consider a product/service that you offered if it looked well thought out. You have a leg up on the average person in this industry.

ETA: Thank you for your service, and I hope you guys bank on it if you have the real experience.

120mm
07-24-11, 22:24
I got into aircraft maintenance because I loved airplanes. I still do love airplanes, but learned a hard lesson:

Never, ever get into an industry bringing entry-level/no skill that revolves around people who would do your job for free if they could.

Way too many starvation level jobs in the gun industry and a very, very small amount, all of which who are much better than you who make an honest living at it.

Robb Jensen
07-24-11, 22:29
Seeing as you currently have nothing at all to offer, no sales, no marketing, no design & engineering, no manufacturing or customer service background you have no value to the industry.

A lot of us got in because we knew someone and had a skill set or where at the wrong place at the right time.:smile:

Consider a gunsmith school. You will at least build a skill set and then have the ability to possibly begin your own business.

As mentioned by some of the others, be careful when your hobby become your job.

Very good advice!

Dunderway
07-24-11, 22:34
I got into aircraft maintenance because I loved airplanes. I still do love airplanes, but learned a hard lesson:

Never, ever get into an industry bringing entry-level/no skill that revolves around people who would do your job for free if they could.

Way too many starvation level jobs in the gun industry and a very, very small amount, all of which who are much better than you who make an honest living at it.

Good advice. I've seen "high-end" companies ran by ten dudes that can run a machine shop, all living under one roof eating ramen because they beliveved in it so much. It crushed even the huge corporate companies in a way.

Ironman8
07-24-11, 22:39
I actually agree with the majority here, though I at one time thought it would be "fun" to do my hobby for a living also...until I realized much of what has already been said.

Aspiring to be a:

Manufacturer? Well you better have something very unique to bring to the market, otherwise you won't make it.

Retailer? Retail EFFING sucks! Hours are long (even longer if you own the business), and all you do is listen to customer complaints! (I have been on both sides of that coin :lol:)

Firearms Instructor? Just know that you probably won't be shooting as much as you normally do now on your own time or as a student...unless you have a training company that is large enough/well known enough that that is your sole source of income and you can use all the extra time for personal shooting instead of working elsewhere.

The only way I would do this for a living is if I was in the military...

Thomas M-4
07-24-11, 23:08
From crossgun

A lot of us got in because we knew someone and had a skill set or where at the wrong place at the right time.
For some reason those words sound so familiar to me. :agree:
My original passion in life is cars. But if I have a choice I would never work on them other than from my own personal choice. There is no money in it unless you own your own shop in my personal experience.
The gun business seems to me to very similar to me. At least in my local circumstance. Maybe if I were located some wear more favorable the story maybe would be different .
I have never put my full attenuation into fire arms like I would into cars. Even though I had a idea for a clear plastic ram air induction system a full 1 yr and 1/2 before a local state mustang parts store came out with it. After the person I thought was a friend bought a entire suspension system from said distributor. And meretriciously they have the same air induction design for sale less than 6 months later after he buys it.:confused::sarcastic: But I digress because the only thing it improves is PM nothing more not worth that much and some one else could have very well have had the same,Idea that much I can agree with.

One thing I have learned its harder to come up with a mechanical improvement a-lot of people think for some reason that more's law applies to everything mechanical:rolleyes:.

Thomas M-4
07-24-11, 23:09

It seems like we are all in agreement.

Thomas M-4
07-24-11, 23:35
Do not mistake me for an expert, but with your credentials, I would seriously consider a product/service that you offered if it looked well thought out. You have a leg up on the average person in this industry.

ETA: Thank you for your service, and I hope you guys bank on it if you have the real experience.

Man I don't know if you could thank me for my service unless you consider taking one local dinky dirt bag out worth the consideration. But ether way no problem:lol:. The way I view it the local situation dictates allot and with my current predicament limits me and my choices. No pun attended on you.